Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I had HIDs installed about 3 years ago at a body shop, so I'm not sure exactly sure if they used a relay harness or anything. I'm not too great at cars, but one of my HIDs started shorting out a couple months ago. I just ordered these http://www.protuninglab.com/hidxe08hoacc1.html and was informed afterwards by my friend that I may need the Warning Cancelers.

Can anyone tell me if these are necessary?If so, is it something I can order anywhere or is it specific to those headlights and bulbs?

Sorry if this is posted somewhere else in the forum and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Hey guys,

I had HIDs installed about 3 years ago at a body shop, so I'm not sure exactly sure if they used a relay harness or anything. I'm not too great at cars, but one of my HIDs started shorting out a couple months ago. I just ordered these http://www.protuninglab.com/hidxe08hoacc1.html and was informed afterwards by my friend that I may need the Warning Cancelers.

Can anyone tell me if these are necessary?If so, is it something I can order anywhere or is it specific to those headlights and bulbs?

Sorry if this is posted somewhere else in the forum and thanks in advance!
If you ran 3 years without any issues, then most-likely you have a HID unit going bad. There are some HID units that require an inline resistor harness to make a load on the warning systems check function. If the manufacturer requires the harness, then you must use it. Just strange to see something work without what is required.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you ran 3 years without any issues, then most-likely you have a HID unit going bad. There are some HID units that require an inline resistor harness to make a load on the warning systems check function. If the manufacturer requires the harness, then you must use it. Just strange to see something work without what is required.
Well I lost the fender well on the front drivers side and when they installed the HIDs, they didn't hide it too well. So, it ended up getting wet from the rain and caused it to short. I'm not sure if they installed a harness with it and idk if that would matter at all when ordering the new headlights I mentioned above. I read that you will need the warning canceler if you have DRLs or else the lights will flicker but like I said, I'm not the best when it comes to cars so I was hoping someone here can shed some light on it for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well I lost the fender well on the front drivers side and when they installed the HIDs, they didn't hide it too well. So, it ended up getting wet from the rain and caused it to short. I'm not sure if they installed a harness with it and idk if that would matter at all when ordering the new headlights I mentioned above. I read that you will need the warning canceler if you have DRLs or else the lights will flicker but like I said, I'm not the best when it comes to cars so I was hoping someone here can shed some light on it for me.
Wait, you mean that you're driving around in the rain with no wheel well? Sounds like a good way to get all sorts of road grime where it doesn't need to be, oh well I guess. You're probably going to have to replace the bumper or really waterproof all the connections at the ballast and socket.

I don't think you need a warning canceler, I didn't have any such thing on my kit....no issues

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You probably have water shorting some connections. Once the dry the issue should go away, unless damage to the HID unit, or corrosion at a connector.

Best thing you can do, is get a new fender splash shield and fasteners. I don't usually give out sources, but here is where I get my stuff.

Item numbers 3 and 7 are for the liner, just make sure you order the missing side. #12, #13 and #14 are needed... take note of how many are shown as required. Just half is needed for #14, 1 for #13 and 2 for #12 to replace the missing liner. If replacing both liners order the full amount for #14 and #13 and 4 for #12.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_P...elID=-1&sectionID=&idAndImageID=16554 1487870

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been meaning to get it fixed and ordered it 3 times at one of the body shops, but they never called back when it came in or something is damaged on it. I'm not trying to put the blame on them though since I can be pretty good at procrastinating (unfortunately). I know the HID unit shorted out due to the water, but my main concern is with the warning cancellers. After researching it more, it seems like it could be safe to assume I won't need them with the new headlights since I've had HIDs for about 3 years without any issues such as flickering or a buzzing sound. Would this be safe to assume?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Sorry to say this, but that body shop is one I would not recommend.

Well procrastinating can and has shown its ugly head with you, and can only get worse. I just hope you are not that way with proper maintenance.

If you are in an emergency condition, I would at least disconnect the effected HID and place a factory bulb, since you have access.

If the HID function but still give an error, you can clean the connectors with Radio Shack TV tuner cleaner. It has some lubrication but allows electrical contact, and it works well in cleaning volume / balance controls.

I think the total cost for replacing your missing shield and fasteners would be around $40.00 shipped. That would be my priority in fixing as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well my car got hit and that's the body shop my insurance recommended. They did a great job with the damage but the fender well is another story and that was something extra I was having them do since it wasn't done in the accident. I figured it was something they could do while they had my car. Overall, I'm pretty good with my general maintenance and I'm just going to go to my regular mechanic soon for the fender well. My new headlights and bulbs should be in Monday or Tuesday so hopefully I can get my fender well fixed soon. Is this something that is fairly easy to install if I do order it myself?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts