Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SOL FANATIC
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay I bought a used 2010 LX i4 with 108k and I'm having a whole bunch of issues with the engine. It has a loud engine noise and I'm not sure what is causing the sound. It is a clicking like sound and maybe a belt I'm not sure, but I can hear it when all the doors are shut and the windows up. Also I can feel a lag in the power at time's. Then I'm also having a winding sound not all the time but often enough to wonder what is causing it. and im burning oil maybe a quart a week. If anyone could please help me understand what is going on, I would take it to mechanic, but I've had bad experiences with them in the past on larger projects. Is this something I can fix myself(I'm not the best but I have the tools lol), or what should be a price range I should be looking for to get it fixed?

Thank you for all that can help me.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
1,886 Posts
There is an oil consumption extended warranty on our cars start with Honda. They will ask u to complete an oil consumption test. Sounds like your car's previous owner drove it with low oil and caused some damage.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
1,886 Posts
I thought that was only the v6 models and what does it cover if it proves it uses oil excessively
No it covers the I4, my car received new pistons and rings last year. Some have received a whole new engine.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
I don't think 2010s and up are covered by the oil consumption problem, but call a dealership to check.

I would start with basic tune up items when faced with potentially ripping an engine apart. Spark plugs, cleaning the throttle body and MAF, replacing the PCV. All these are cheap in comparison.

·
Registered
151 Posts
No joke? I read that the settlement only covered the six cylinder models. Never heard of a four banger being covered. That's good news.

·
SOL FANATIC
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I called my dealership and they said that they will do an oil consumption test, They did not tell me if anything would be covered though.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
1,886 Posts
Spoke with service it covers VINs in Canada from 08-2011 models. Unlimited warranty and age which is surprising.

You do the oil consumption test and if it eats up 0.8-1L of oil every 1500kms (5 tests) they do the piston ring update.

·
4,057 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Okay I bought a used 2010 LX i4 with 108k and I'm having a whole bunch of issues with the engine. It has a loud engine noise and I'm not sure what is causing the sound. It is a clicking like sound and maybe a belt I'm not sure, but I can hear it when all the doors are shut and the windows up. Also I can feel a lag in the power at time's. Then I'm also having a winding sound not all the time but often enough to wonder what is causing it. and im burning oil maybe a quart a week. If anyone could please help me understand what is going on, I would take it to mechanic, but I've had bad experiences with them in the past on larger projects. Is this something I can fix myself(I'm not the best but I have the tools lol), or what should be a price range I should be looking for to get it fixed?

Thank you for all that can help me.
Clicking/ ticking could be from the valve train... since the K series are not a hydraulic self adjusting lifters. Winding it could be from the belts or timing chin.

Yeah sounds like the engine needs a looking over... how many miles is on the car?

There is an oil consumption extended warranty on our cars start with Honda. They will ask u to complete an oil consumption test. Sounds like your car's previous owner drove it with low oil and caused some damage.
Thats good to know.... So far my car is at 21k

·
SOL FANATIC
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right now, there is 109k on it. I called the dealership and spoke with the service manager, they said that if the test shows that the car is using excessive oil then they will have to call up Honda and see what they want to do about. He said anywhere from covering a whole new engine to just covering replacing some parts

·
4,057 Posts
To me if it's burning 1 qt / 250 miles, there's something wrong with the block and I don't see a piston ring replacement fixing it.

·
SOL FANATIC
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, So I took it in the other day for required oil change to do the test, i get home and they WAY over filled oil.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
1,886 Posts
Yeah, So I took it in the other day for required oil change to do the test, i get home and they WAY over filled oil.
yup they do that, put an extra 0.5l last change. Make sure they note that and start the test from the higher spot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like thats what they did to the car I just bought. My car runs ok.
Stealership said to bring it in next week for an oil change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts