Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I just purchased a 2010 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 for $12,500 with 108,000 miles. It came with a 75,000 mile warranty as well.

Being a Honda fan, and also owning a 2013 Civic EX Sedan, I just wanted the bit more power the VTEC V6 of the Accord had to offer. My Accord MSRP'd for about 38,000 when it was new, and it is in perfect condition, the Carfax having all service records and whatnot.

So just wondering, what could I do to aesthetically improve my Accord? It came with brand new Michelin tires, and the spoiler as well as moonroof visor. I was thinking of lowering it and switching out the rims, but I've heard this may void my warranty. Performance wise, I'm sort of okay with the car for now, and I plan to modify it as desired after my warranty is up. Being a sedan, will it be harder to achieve the sportier look I am desiring? Any reference pictures would be much appreciated. I've got no idea of anything specific I'd like to achieve yet.

·
2018 Acura TLX Tech
854 Posts
Congrats on your car!+++

Can't answer your question, but I'm wondering how any Accord back in 2010 could have gotten to $38k. A Touring Accord today tops out at c. $34k iirc., and that trim didn't even exist back then.

I just got out the original window sticker of my 2008 Accord EXL Navi 5MT, and it had an msrp of $27,895 with destination.

You got a good price on your car, as far as I can tell, but I'm just wondering how the original buyer got c. $7000 worth of add on accessories....?

Again, many congrats and all best wishes. Awesome car. Hope to see some pix?

Best, Ben

·
Put that cookie down! NOW
592 Posts
They can only void the warranty if they can provide full clear evidence of the part that causes the warranty to be voided. If they just say out of the blue, then it's all BS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats on your car!+++

Can't answer your question, but I'm wondering how any Accord back in 2010 could have gotten to $38k. A Touring Accord today tops out at c. $34k iirc., and that trim didn't even exist back then.

I just got out the original window sticker of my 2008 Accord EXL Navi 5MT, and it had an msrp of $27,895 with destination.

You got a good price on your car, as far as I can tell, but I'm just wondering how the original buyer got c. $7000 worth of add on accessories....?

Again, many congrats and all best wishes. Awesome car. Hope to see some pix?

Best, Ben
I may be wrong about the MSRP. That's just what the dealer told me. Right now I can't provide pics, unfortunately. I actually haven't even driven the car other than a test drive; my parents have it back home in Virginia right now, and I'm in Texas with the Civic.

The car is black with black interior, which was a plus for me. I honestly haven't taken much liking to the 2010's rims, and much prefer my 2013 Civic EX's rims. I'll probably be replacing those before anything. They just seem too bright ontop of the flat black color of my car, so I was looking into plasti-dipping them or just getting black rims.

Here is a dealer pic of the car:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Very nice car for sure! Not that it matters, but ya that price is high. I have a 2011 V6 EX-L Nav and I've got the original window sticker, and it's $34k with everything including some dealer add-on crapola.

I am jealous...I wanted black! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot, guys. I've decided that I'm going to start by adding a cold air intake and lowering springs. Just wondering, how much lower will the car be from stock if its lowered 1.5-1.35 inches? I don't want anything too excessively low, because I plan on adding body modifications later, and it would obviously complicate things if it were to rub.

·
ReP4myCiTy(617)
26 Posts
I dont think you should rub with a 1.5 inch drop. Alot of people do coilovers and you are able to adjust the height to your taste. Look into HFP suspention or h&r sport springs maybe. Both drop around 1-1.5 or so.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did HR springs on my car and changed to 18's. It rubs a tiny bit over big bumps, but not enough to worry about. I'm not quite done with it...gonna change out the grill. remove the body side moldings, and put the ol' red H on it, and debadge the rest. But here's what it looks like now w the 18's and springs. Sorry about the crap pic...just used my phone.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Oh, and re: the warranty. It isn't legal for any warranty provider to void your warranty based on the installation of aftermarket parts. The burden is on the warranty provider to demonstrate that the installation or use of those parts is what caused the problem in order to deny warranty coverage. Google up the 'Moss Magnuson Act' for more info.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
I'd say you're going to void the warranty on anything related to the suspension if you install lowering springs. It's a system that's designed to work together, so changing the springs changes the geometry and stresses in a way that it wasn't originally designed to handle. The whole warranty, however, can't be voided because of 1 modification.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd say you're going to void the warranty on anything related to the suspension if you install lowering springs. It's a system that's designed to work together, so changing the springs changes the geometry and stresses in a way that it wasn't originally designed to handle. The whole warranty, however, can't be voided because of 1 modification.
Please see my post above. It is not legal to void the warranty just because aftermarket parts are installed. They have to prove that the parts caused whatever the failure is. It is not sufficient to say "it's different than stock, therefore that's what caused the problem." They would have to actually demonstrate that the difference (geometry in your example) is _why_ the failure occurred. It's not enough that it's different from stock.

Keep in mind though that service managers ignorant of the MMWA try to convince customers that they've voided the warranty due to modifications when it isn't true...it's still a hassle though.

Also as Honda sells their own lowering springs for many models including several Accord models via HPD (Honda Performance Development) as HFP (Honda Factory Performance) branded parts, it is extremely unlikely that you'd get a hassle re: installing other springs. For example, part number 08W60-TE1-100B is a suspension lowering kit that Honda sells for the 2011 Accord Coupe.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Exercising the MMWA is not flawless... If the dealer suspects a non-stock configuration to be the culprit they can refuse warranty coverage. You may be courteous and explain your mods with tact, but if they ultimately hold their ground you may well need an attorney and possibly a day in court to regain your warranty. At that point your expenses will likely outweigh the repair. The whole thing isn't as simple as it's usually assumed to be, and lawyering up against an international corporation won't be cheap.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Exercising the MMWA is not flawless... If the dealer suspects a non-stock configuration to be the culprit they can refuse warranty coverage. You may be courteous and explain your mods with tact, but if they ultimately hold their ground you may well need an attorney and possibly a day in court to regain your warranty. At that point your expenses will likely outweigh the repair. The whole thing isn't as simple as it's usually assumed to be, and lawyering up against an international corporation won't be cheap.
THis is true for sure, and is what I was getting at with my comments re: ignorant service managers above.

That said, I've had to fight twice with this, and in both cases when I clearly stated my rights as related to the MMWA they gave in and it didn't go any further...once w a service manager at a motorcycle shop and once after escalation to a car manufacturer area rep of some sort.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did HR springs on my car and changed to 18's. It rubs a tiny bit over big bumps, but not enough to worry about. I'm not quite done with it...gonna change out the grill. remove the body side moldings, and put the ol' red H on it, and debadge the rest. But here's what it looks like now w the 18's and springs. Sorry about the crap pic...just used my phone.

Your ride height is exactly what I'm aiming for. A little rub doesn't bother me. Those 18s are also nice. What exactly are those? I'd actually like to look into those for my Accord.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im buying a 2010 honda accord v6 with only 40000 and ive heard from a ton of people that there are alot of problems with this vehicle. From the looks of all these posts im guessing they were a bunch of bullshit reviews

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Im buying a 2010 honda accord v6 with only 40000 and ive heard from a ton of people that there are alot of problems with this vehicle. From the looks of all these posts im guessing they were a bunch of bullshit reviews
If there are problems, then you will find them on this site. As a whole, I can tell you there are a few specific problems with the 2008-2009 and a few that made it into the 2010s, but overall nothing that can't be dealt with. Also, the 2010 your looking at may already have these resolved (my 2010 did when I bought it).

Search through these forums and you will find what you seek.

Scott C.

·
"Old School" Shifter
380 Posts
About time for the timing belt to be changed- Did they do that before you bought it?
That might be where you want to start putting money into it.
If it is not too late I would go back and insist they do it. I also think you paided a little too much for that mileage car.
Also I would ditch the moonroof visor- I think it makes it look like an old man's car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts