Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2010 Accord V6 - Confused
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was referred over here from a techie Honda owner over at Anandtech forums when the subject of my 2010 Accord V6 came up.

The problem is simple. It is rated at 29 MPG highway. It is not at 15K miles and I have not gotten anywhere near that, even doing coasting stops and feather-touch acceleration.

An example would be that the best milage I got was 24 MPG going down to the NJ shore where it was 70 miles, 10 of which were traffic-lighted highway and the other 60 was all Garden State Parkway at a constant 70....

Now I know that you get less milage when you drive faster, but dropping form 29 to 24 seems drastic, especially after my 15 year old MX6 was able to get 29-30 MPG on that same trip, same speeds, rated only at 28 MPG....

Now things I have noticed are that it is very hard to get this ****er to stay in ECO mode. Even a slight grade is enough to take it out, and you REALLY have to feather-touch it on the highway.

Commuting to work, most of which is on the highway, usually gets me about 20-22 MPG, almost what I believe it is rated for full City driving!

What could I be doing wrong, or is it something the car might have worng?

Other things:

-My wife noted a gasoline smell when I started the car up this morning. I never noticed this on the way to work because I am already in the car, but getting out, I notced it. It was very strong (40 degrees f this morning).

-I noticed it felt a little rough sometimes when operating at lower RPM's. I do not know if this is something that needs tweaking, or if the V6 is just a bit rougher a rider than what I had before.

So, should I bring it into a service station and have them look at it?

Let me know what you think!

-NH

·
Banned
294 Posts
Hey guys,

I was referred over here from a techie Honda owner over at Anandtech forums when the subject of my 2010 Accord V6 came up.

Other things:

-My wife noted a gasoline smell when I started the car up this morning. I never noticed this on the way to work because I am already in the car, but getting out, I notced it. It was very strong (40 degrees f this morning).

-I noticed it felt a little rough sometimes when operating at lower RPM's. I do not know if this is something that needs tweaking, or if the V6 is just a bit rougher a rider than what I had before.

-NH
I smell gasoline too and I smell gasoline when I check the oil level by pulling the dip-stick from the napkin. There is a strong smell of gasoline when I sit in my car with holding the napkin I used to check the oil level a couple of times!! :paranoid: I'm worried.

*non-tech take* By it running rough at low rpms, I suspect either something electrical, something fuel related or even transmission to tell you the truth but I realize I am a little all over the map. end of *non-tech take*

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
The fuel injection system may be richen up the mixture just a bit to account for the colder ambient temperature, the catalytic converter also hasn't been warmed up enough to help burn off the richer mixture, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
What are your tire pressures like? Have you tried using cruise control? Low tire pressure can decrease mpg a small amount, and confirming your low mpg while using almost %100 cruise control can help rule out anything driver related.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
I smell gasoline too and I smell gasoline when I check the oil level by pulling the dip-stick from the napkin. There is a strong smell of gasoline when I sit in my car with holding the napkin I used to check the oil level a couple of times!!
That's normal if you do that, there will always be some blow by and containmination of oil and gas, minute amount of oil are burnt off and minute amount of gasoline will find its' way to the oil.

:paranoid: I'm worried.
I'd agreed with the paranoid part.

·
Banned
294 Posts
The fuel injection system may be richen up the mixture just a bit to account for the colder ambient temperature, the catalytic converter also hasn't been warmed up enough to help burn off the richer mixture, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Thanks Avio but it's not paranoia and I can proove it. The problem is the stealer installed a RM transmission for my preamaturely blown AT and then gave me the car back with a CEL indicating a bad cat!!! I can't win for holy snickies!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Thanks Avio but it's not paranoia and I can proove it. The problem is the stealer installed a RM transmission for my preamaturely blown AT and then gave me the car back with a CEL indicating a bad cat!!! I can't win for holy snickies!
Now now, don't go hijacking a thread. The OP has a brand new car that shouldn't be behind on any maintenance, whereas your car has had some rough times. If you still have issues, I would recommend you start a thread of your own.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks....

I will check the TP when I get the chance, but I was under the impression that the car had some auto-gages that would monitor that for me (I always had a digital pressure gage in the old car, filled them up about once a month....)

I don't think it is that though. The "spa" I get my oil changed at usually checks those things when they do a change and I did not see any warnings on my sheet when I paid.

I am wondering if there may be some setting on the car that is making it go to "performance" mode rather than "Economy" mode (I think some other vehicles, the Maxima maybe? had this, but I am not sure).

As for the gas smell, it worries me a bit because it was really not that cold when we left this morning. It really smelled like a gas station....

(BTW, 1 round trip out to Queens can drop the entire weeks milage to 20 MPG. We are talking LOW here! I am really disappointed, because one of the features that drew me away from the Maxima and the Mazda 6 was the gas milage......)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Thanks....

I will check the TP when I get the chance, but I was under the impression that the car had some auto-gages that would monitor that for me (I always had a digital pressure gage in the old car, filled them up about once a month....)

I don't think it is that though. The "spa" I get my oil changed at usually checks those things when they do a change and I did not see any warnings on my sheet when I paid.

I am wondering if there may be some setting on the car that is making it go to "performance" mode rather than "Economy" mode (I think some other vehicles, the Maxima maybe? had this, but I am not sure).

As for the gas smell, it worries me a bit because it was really not that cold when we left this morning. It really smelled like a gas station....

(BTW, 1 round trip out to Queens can drop the entire weeks milage to 20 MPG. We are talking LOW here! I am really disappointed, because one of the features that drew me away from the Maxima and the Mazda 6 was the gas milage......)
Your car has a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System), however the purpose is to indicate if the tire pressure falls below 25% of Honda's specified pressure. Given that the spec is ~32psi, your tires could be at ~24psi and not trigger the light to come on. If your tires are that low, you might get some significantly improved efficiency by going up to, say, 35 psi.

The "ECO" mode happens when the car shuts down some of the cylinders. If you read up on it, this is because Honda took the performance-oriented VTEC system and used it to shut down cylinders instead of switching to a high performance cam profile. However, the Maxima, 370z and GTR all have continuously timed valves, so instead of being like an on/off switch, they can offer both slightly increased economy, or slightly increased performance (as I understand it, anyway).

However, I digress. Unfortunately there just aren't very many things that could be wrong with your car at 15k besides faulty sensors, or the most basic fuel economy factors. The most basic fuel economy factors being maintenance, engine break in, winter gas, and how you drive.

Your car doesn't have too much mpg-related maintenance around 15k besides oil changes and tire inflation, your car should already be broken in, and winter gas shouldn't hurt your mpg *that* badly.

So, if your tires are inflated properly and your car's sensors are in good condition, that really only leaves your driving habits. The best way to narrow that one down is to go out when there isn't much traffic, top off the car's tank, set the odometer, set the cruise control at the speed limit, drive for a good amount of time, then top off the tank again and measure your mpg. If it's still in the 20's on the highway, you know something with the car is wrong. If your fuel economy jumps up, you might want to adjust how you drive.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more bit of information my wife just informed me of...

She said she saw some grey smoke coming out when she smelled the gas.

I will have to take a look when I start it up after work today......

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hey guys,

The problem is simple. It is rated at 29 MPG highway. It is not at 15K miles and I have not gotten anywhere near that, even doing coasting stops and feather-touch acceleration.

An example would be that the best milage I got was 24 MPG going down to the NJ shore where it was 70 miles, 10 of which were traffic-lighted highway and the other 60 was all Garden State Parkway at a constant 70....

Now I know that you get less milage when you drive faster, but dropping form 29 to 24 seems drastic, especially after my 15 year old MX6 was able to get 29-30 MPG on that same trip, same speeds, rated only at 28 MPG....

Now things I have noticed are that it is very hard to get this ****er to stay in ECO mode. Even a slight grade is enough to take it out, and you REALLY have to feather-touch it on the highway.

Commuting to work, most of which is on the highway, usually gets me about 20-22 MPG, almost what I believe it is rated for full City driving!

What could I be doing wrong, or is it something the car might have worng?

Other things:

-NH
1) First off, the 24 mpg is not too bad. Check your air pressure for your tires.

2) I don't know about this ECO light on the dash, I think it is annoying.

3) Take the car into the dealer & have them check on the smell of gas, I don't think that is normal...your car should still be under factory warrenty...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts