Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my 2010 Accord Sedan just under a year ago. At the time I had a Blackberry phone and used an iPod Touch for music and listening to Podcasts, etc. While I was searching for an iPod integration solution, I made the jump to an HTC Incredible Android phone. I loved the phone, especially because it allowed me to consolidate to carrying one device around for communication and entertainment.

The one thing I don't like about the phone is that the power plug is on one side, and the headphone input is on the top. Having those two things plugged in with the phone sitting in the cup holder was a hot mess of wires.

I have an aftermarket headunit in my Subaru that handles bluetooth calls and A2DP wireless audio as well. Android pairs perfectly with that unit. I love the HandsFreeLink (HFL) in the Honda, so I went in search of an A2DP solution that I could plug in to the center console, thus eliminating that extra wire.

There are various kits on the market that turn your AUX port in to a Bluetooth Wireless connection. It took me three tests to get to the right one . . .

Here are my test subjects and some notes on each. In order of worst to best:

1. Scosche MotorMOUTH Car Kit - This unit was immediately presented an annoying limitation. You have to power the unit on manually every time you want to use it (3 second button press in the center console. no way!). I was able to tell the Android bluetooth stack to only use it for A2DP (Music) audio and ignore the built in call handling feature. The Honda HFL and Scosche unit had no real trouble both pairing with the phone. This is because by the time you reach in to the console and power it on, the HFL is connected. You'll see why this seems to matter in the next review. Overall the unit had a loud and clear gain setting and music sounded really nice.

2. Kensington LiquidAUX - This unit had the most potential, but just fell short of making the final cut because of connection confusion. The first selling point for purchasing . . . the LiquidAUX automatically powers up when the car is turned on! It also has a bulit in USB port for charging a device, and even a little remote control for navigating and play/pause of tracks. I told my Android to ignore the phone handling capabilities of this device and only use it for music. It worked!! The unit semeed promising until I noticed the critical flaw. The device would only connect successfully to my Android 20% of the time. Then, other weeks it would connect 60% of the time. The pattern I ultimately noticed is that the HFL and LiquidAUX would fight to connect to the Android Bluetooth stack at the same time and often the LiquidAUX would lose. From there, the Android would be unable to connect to the LiquidAUX unless I held the bluetooth button on the device to put it in to searching mode. Sometimes I could disconnect HFL and initiate the connection from the phone and then reconnect HFL, but what a pain!! Overall, the gain on this device was much lower and required cranking my factory unit way up. The remote was a really handy touch and fits nicely in the little pocket to the left of the steering wheel. I ended up giving this unit to a friend who has a 2009 accord and an iPhone so he can test. I'll post his results when he lets me know. Back to google for more searching . . .

3. Blackberry Bluetooth Gateway - I ended up getting this device as a last resort and so far it has been a success. It powers up automatically and doesn't seem to fight the HFL over who gets to connect to Bluetooth first. It seems like this device either connects faster than the Liquid or maybe it has a longer connection timeout and will keep trying after the HFL connects. Since it doesn't have any calling capabilities (which I don't want), that is one less thing to have to worry about getting in the way. The sound level and crispness is the best of the bunch, if bordering on a little too much gain. I miss the remote control from the Liquid, but made up for it by enabling volume rocker playback controls in my PlayerPro MP3 app. I've only had the BB gateway for a few days now, but it has been a solid performer so far.

Anyway . . . I wanted to pass this info along in case anyone else finds themselves wandering around the Bluetooth device wasteland looking for a solution. I spent quite some time testing and troubleshooting . . . going back and forth, placing blame on the phone, the devices, HFL. Hope this helps anyone else in the same situation! :wave: :banana:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I didn't realize a solution to this was available.

P.s. I typed this on my dinc, great phone!

·
Retired IT Dude
1,318 Posts
Very nice vixhex. Thanks so much for the time, and $$$ intensive research. One quick Q.. does HFL call capability still work while listening to A2DP blue-tooth streaming music via the Blackberry gateway? I really do like the HFL calling capability..

Thanks again!
Jim

Edit: FYI, I'm using a 1st gen Moto Droid. The original KING! :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
My buddy just got a 2011 STI and he was syncing his blutooth with his subaru as well for audio... which, got me thinking why doesnt mine work like that (jealous). this is a GREAT solution man, well done!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
thanks for your time, research and input OP!

my samsung epic also thanks you :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice vixhex. Thanks so much for the time, and $$$ intensive research. One quick Q.. does HFL call capability still work while listening to A2DP blue-tooth streaming music via the Blackberry gateway? I really do like the HFL calling capability..

Thanks again!
Jim

Edit: FYI, I'm using a 1st gen Moto Droid. The original KING! :)
Yep - both of them should pair just fine with the phone at the same time. When a call comes in, the Droid should pause whatever you are listening to and you can answer it via the HFL. When you hang up, it will resume playback. :)

Update - the BB gateway has still been performing flawlessly over the past few days!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Purchased my 2010 Accord Sedan just under a year ago. At the time I had a Blackberry phone and used an iPod Touch for music and listening to Podcasts, etc. While I was searching for an iPod integration solution, I made the jump to an HTC Incredible Android phone. I loved the phone, especially because it allowed me to consolidate to carrying one device around for communication and entertainment.

The one thing I don't like about the phone is that the power plug is on one side, and the headphone input is on the top. Having those two things plugged in with the phone sitting in the cup holder was a hot mess of wires.

I have an aftermarket headunit in my Subaru that handles bluetooth calls and A2DP wireless audio as well. Android pairs perfectly with that unit. I love the HandsFreeLink (HFL) in the Honda, so I went in search of an A2DP solution that I could plug in to the center console, thus eliminating that extra wire.

There are various kits on the market that turn your AUX port in to a Bluetooth Wireless connection. It took me three tests to get to the right one . . .

Here are my test subjects and some notes on each. In order of worst to best:

1. Scosche MotorMOUTH Car Kit - This unit was immediately presented an annoying limitation. You have to power the unit on manually every time you want to use it (3 second button press in the center console. no way!). I was able to tell the Android bluetooth stack to only use it for A2DP (Music) audio and ignore the built in call handling feature. The Honda HFL and Scosche unit had no real trouble both pairing with the phone. This is because by the time you reach in to the console and power it on, the HFL is connected. You'll see why this seems to matter in the next review. Overall the unit had a loud and clear gain setting and music sounded really nice.

2. Kensington LiquidAUX - This unit had the most potential, but just fell short of making the final cut because of connection confusion. The first selling point for purchasing . . . the LiquidAUX automatically powers up when the car is turned on! It also has a bulit in USB port for charging a device, and even a little remote control for navigating and play/pause of tracks. I told my Android to ignore the phone handling capabilities of this device and only use it for music. It worked!! The unit semeed promising until I noticed the critical flaw. The device would only connect successfully to my Android 20% of the time. Then, other weeks it would connect 60% of the time. The pattern I ultimately noticed is that the HFL and LiquidAUX would fight to connect to the Android Bluetooth stack at the same time and often the LiquidAUX would lose. From there, the Android would be unable to connect to the LiquidAUX unless I held the bluetooth button on the device to put it in to searching mode. Sometimes I could disconnect HFL and initiate the connection from the phone and then reconnect HFL, but what a pain!! Overall, the gain on this device was much lower and required cranking my factory unit way up. The remote was a really handy touch and fits nicely in the little pocket to the left of the steering wheel. I ended up giving this unit to a friend who has a 2009 accord and an iPhone so he can test. I'll post his results when he lets me know. Back to google for more searching . . .

3. Blackberry Bluetooth Gateway - I ended up getting this device as a last resort and so far it has been a success. It powers up automatically and doesn't seem to fight the HFL over who gets to connect to Bluetooth first. It seems like this device either connects faster than the Liquid or maybe it has a longer connection timeout and will keep trying after the HFL connects. Since it doesn't have any calling capabilities (which I don't want), that is one less thing to have to worry about getting in the way. The sound level and crispness is the best of the bunch, if bordering on a little too much gain. I miss the remote control from the Liquid, but made up for it by enabling volume rocker playback controls in my PlayerPro MP3 app. I've only had the BB gateway for a few days now, but it has been a solid performer so far.

Anyway . . . I wanted to pass this info along in case anyone else finds themselves wandering around the Bluetooth device wasteland looking for a solution. I spent quite some time testing and troubleshooting . . . going back and forth, placing blame on the phone, the devices, HFL. Hope this helps anyone else in the same situation! :wave: :banana:
Thanks! I'm looking for something like this for a long time:thmsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey vixhex, thank you so much for sharing your experiences i was wondering what would be the best device and almost bought the liquidAux but im glad i didnt, i really like the Blackberry Bluetooth Gateway it works wonders i have no interference at all, the sound from my iphone is crystal clear and it sounds real good, now im no audiphile by any means so for some this may not be the optimal solution but for most ppl this is 300 times better than any fm transmitter on the market! very satisfied thank you

·
Registered
968 Posts
so the sound quality using bluetooth is just as good as using aux or say digital out on a ipod?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'll probably explore the BlackBerry option. When you use this, can you use your actual iPhone/iTouch iPod controls? I can't seem to do that even when I'm plugged in via USB in my car. I guess it's not that big of a deal, but I can navigate a lot quicker than I can having to use the navigation in the Accord.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'll probably explore the BlackBerry option. When you use this, can you use your actual iPhone/iTouch iPod controls? I can't seem to do that even when I'm plugged in via USB in my car. I guess it's not that big of a deal, but I can navigate a lot quicker than I can having to use the navigation in the Accord.
Yes, you use it as you would via aux or headphones. Just no wire :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Car stereo still plays? Maybe you haven't changed it to AUX? instead of CD/RADIO/everything else?

Sorry for the dumb question but, I just hooked up the BB gateway and both the Hands Free link R and BB gateway show connected but only car stereo plays, how to I get the music from Pandora on my phone to the car speakers. Using a Droid Incredable.

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Car stereo still plays

Thanks for the reply, Yes that is what I did, realized it after my post, deleted post since it was no longer an issue.

Thanks again

·
'10 Accord LX-S Coupe
148 Posts
yea, I know...old thread. just found this and was interested. want bluetooth for hands free phone only. I have a Samsung. will the Blackberry only work with Blackberry phones? I've looked into what Parrot offers.......just not sure about it yet.

any suggestions? thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Blackberry Gateway device is actually just A2DP, so it doesn't do hands free phone, only stereo media audio.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it works on any Bluetooth phone that supports A2DP streaming audio. You can probably find just about any bluetooth handsfree device for your phone.

As long as I'm replying to this thread, I now have a Galaxy Note II and it's even more finicky about the connection of two separate devices (one for phone, one for audio).

So that means that when I connect to a bluetooth headset that does phone and media audio it works fine.

When it tries to connect to Honda Handsfreelink and then the BB Stereo Gateway, it fails because they try to connect at the same time. So my Droid Incredible and Droid charge both liked the combination, but the Note II does not. With that being said the problem has to do with the Jellybean 4.1.2 software in particular . . . not the hardware. When I loaded a custom 4.2.0 Cyanogen ROM on the phone, they both connected just fine!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I also got bb Bluetooth gateway after reading this thread for 2010 LXP. Most of the times, my galaxy nexus connects fine. Otherwise I toggle on/off once.
My kid enjoys a lot when phone plays directions in car speakers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wish I had a nexus phone!! I love the Note hardware but wish it was running a clean Google OS. Custom ROMS are always a bit buggy and I spend too much time geeking out on them fixing everything.

If anyone is having issues with one device not connecting consistently, I found an app called "A2DP Volume" that allows you to automate bluetooth functions. So I have it set to automatically try to connect to the BB gateway (again) once it detects Honda HFL is connected. Works pretty well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts