Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an 2010 EX 4 cyl. Two things, I already had it aligned once at the dealer for a pull to the left, on a perfectly centered non-crowned road...not accelerating. Also, same road, when accelerating, the car drastically pulls right...techs will refer to this a "torque steer". The main concern is what is actually acceptable? The shop foreman that initially took over my car is out with a injury and am awaiting his retun back, as anyone else will only complicate things. He agreed that even post alignment, it pulled left. We tried rotating the tires front to back, the problem still exists. I am awaiting his return back.
My main concern is the events of a test drive of a new 2010 EX-L 4 cyl with my friend who is considering purchasing one. I figured go along to compare. One, the car goes dead straight, both accelerating and not accelerating. Two, the steering "feels" significantly "tighter" than mine. The only difference being a EX-L versus EX...I don't believe there is any steering or suspension differences. Mine has now 7,000 miles on it, and has been this way since day one.
I am starting to wonder if there is a steering component or something contributing to this phenomenon of, pulling left...almost being "lazy" left even when turning the wheel versus turning right. Then heavy pull or torque steer right under accelerating...all with a definite "looser" feel to the steering versus the brand new one mentioned above. My friend, who is no where near as fanatical as I, completely agreed with the assessment.
Has anyone esle had this problem? I am scheduled to go back and leave the car in a week when the shop foreman returns, any info would help.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
1,015 Posts
EX-L only refers to the trim level, although i'm sure someone will prove me wrong.

You aren't going to get away from torque steer in a FWD. Does it do it under moderate acceleration(2500-3500rpms before shift) or just under full acceleration up to 5500 rpm shifts?

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
1,015 Posts
What does your tire wear look like? both driver and passenger should be equal in tread depth and each tire should be uniformly worn across the tread.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
Torque steer on a perfectly level road with no steering input should NOT exist on these cars. If it tracks straight while cruising, it should not be a tire issue. Make note of whether it pulls one way on acceleration and the other on deceleration, you may have to downshift the trans to load the drivetrain enough to notice it.

My 04 V6 6 speed doesn't do it, and won't do it even under hard acceleration.

This has been an issue with some of the gen 7s and gen 8s. The motor mounts need to be properly equalized first. Any engine/transmission preload on the mounts will make it pull on acceleration. Then if it persists the subframe may need to be shifted to get caster angles and camber angles to cancel out this issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts