Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I am new to the fourms and I have searched but have found nothing more on the 3rd gear issue 08-09 accords are having on manual transmissions. Does it affect 2010 cars?

I am planning to buy a 2010 honda accord coupe EXL. I have a 2003 TL-S Aspec but the auto transmission is done! I live in a downtown city and have been thinking of getting either a manual or automatic EXL. I have driven manual a few times but no expert. So I really need help in making a decision.

Are there any problems with the 2010 auto or manual transmission?

what would you guys suggest?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well, if you live downtown in a city, I would recommend an auto (if your car is mostly in traffic).

·
Overdrive
618 Posts
If you're only ONLY doing city driving or you'll always be in thick traffic, go with an automatic. Otherwise, go with a manual. I don't do any city driving and I regret not going with a manual.

That being said, the 2011 Accord Coupes will have paddle shifters on the automatics. Perhaps a bit of compromise?

·
Registered
53 Posts
1) The TSB for the 3rd gear issue does not extend to the 2010s.
2) It has been dyno proven that the manual gets about 30 hp more to the wheels. This may be a result of either transmission losses or Honda underrating the engine that mates to the manual. The increased power translates to being a full second quicker in the quarter mile.

As for driving preference, that's up to you. Personally, I'd rather drive the car than have the car drive me.

·
09ACCORDCOUPE
599 Posts
I'm a 6 shifter so I'm biased towards a manual gearbox. However, I agree with the comments above, that if you're going to be driving in city traffic MOST of the time, get an auto tranny. Good luck on your decision my friend.:thmsup:

·
Registered
282 Posts
It comes down to what you want and how you plan on driving the car like others have said. I really wanted the 6-6 but there were only autos in my area. I still regret not getting a manual especially with the exhaust mods I've done but it just wasn't an option for me to wait/order (or go out of state) to find a 6-6 with the options I wanted. I still love my car but the manual would definitely be more fun and suited towards my driving style. Can't go wrong either way. Good luck

·
Registered
296 Posts
Except if you drive almost all city traffic, go Manual. Whether you're talking about an I-4 or a V-6, you're talking different beasts. The I-4 Auto is a total bore, the 5MT is a screamer. The V-6 Auto is adequate, the 6MT a total riot.

In order of preference (Best to worst for driving pleasure IMHO): V6 6MT, I-4 5MT, V6 Auto, I-4 Auto.

I drive an '08 I-4 5MT Coupe - Since January 2008 (52 000km). I test-drove the above 4 powertrains (The V6 6MT last week actually) and I stand by my ratings.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Stick shift or death!
Not to diminish the philosophy imparted above, the 6M-V6 combination does merit due consideration.

From several measurements: fuel economy, performance, reliability, longevity and others too perhaps................

Perhaps the slave cylinder check valve issue has been addressed for 2010 which could make clutch use less like trying to hit a moving target (as someone in this forum - IIRC - contributed). Much to my amusement and concurrence.

Otherwise, great pick.

ez sends from our left coast..............

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
Another vote for the MT. Fuel mileage is a moot point with newer automatics (usually not a huge difference anymore) so the decision for a MT is more fun to drive factor now-a-days.

If you've driven a MT before for any length of time (years, not days or weeks) you'd probably be used to it. I was worried about moving from my small PA home town (lots of open 2 lane roads) to the RTP area (read: 12 lane parking lots)... I've driven stick all my life and after 4 years here, it doesn't bother me in down town traffic or stop and go on the belt line.

That said, I would suggest the 5MT 4cyl would be the better choice. I had a 6-6, and traded back to a 4cyl and am much happier. I didn't see any value in the V6's power because there was rarely any time to fully use it. Plus, if you're getting the MT to drive it, the 4cyl will be the more entertaining choice. The 6-6 can be driven in 1, 3 and 6. No need to down shift. Living in the city, this might be a positive thing but OTOH, living in the city will really limit the chances you'll get to stomp on it.

If you're looking at the V6 only, I'd suggest AT. It's still plenty fast and IMO the AT is a better match for a FWD car with nearly 300hp. The coupe's heavier demeanor is a better match for an AT and cruising than back road hi-jinx.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
You claim you are no expert at driving a stick. City driving requires better than average shifting skills, otherwise it gets frustrating, uncomfortable for passengers, potentially dangerous, and potentially damaging to your car (clutch, tranny, engine, engine mounts, etc.). If you're into cars, and apparently you are if you have a TL A-Spec, you can probably hone your skills rapidly. But you have to like driving. My wife can drive a manual, but to her it is work. She'd rather just put the car in drive and relax. That's fine. I find that most people prefer to not work as they drive. But if you are car enthusiasts who believes driving in itself is a form of entertainment, go for the stick. Although the 6-6 is a rush, the I4- 5spd manual is a little easier to drive and also very rewarding. Drive both and see what you like.

·
port & polish everything
1,698 Posts
1) The TSB for the 3rd gear issue does not extend to the 2010s.
2) It has been dyno proven that the manual gets about 30 hp more to the wheels. This may be a result of either transmission losses or Honda underrating the engine that mates to the manual. The increased power translates to being a full second quicker in the quarter mile.

As for driving preference, that's up to you. Personally, I'd rather drive the car than have the car drive me.

for i4 the difference is about 10 whp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I came from a 2007 EX-L V6 6MT Sedan to a 2010 EX 5MT and can tell you that I dislike it. My 2007 was built better and the switch on the clutch (that prevents starting without the clutch depressed) is SO BLOODY ANNOYING with an audible "click" EVERY TIME the clutch is depressed.
Unless you're thinking of a V6, I wouldn't leave a J series for a K series in this package.

·
Registered
851 Posts
ive got the exl v6 in 6 speed and let me tell you its fun as hell to drive! ive never had this much fun driving an automatic ( previous car was 09 mazda 6s auto ) the accord coupe is much better and funner to drive. before you buy try to get more into driving stick shift or your going to be stalling out often and prob. end up burning your clutch trying not to. if you do end up going for the auto, wait for the 2011 accord coupe cause they come with paddle shifters!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow Thanks alot guys. great advice. I was thinking about getting an I4 5mt. Ill keep you guys posted on my decision. Thanks again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts