Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys

I only just discovered drive accord forum (and promptly joined). I am a frequent contributor of slickdeals forums and have been posting to their miscellaneous forum until now. I am extremely happy and thankful to all the material that this forum has...

A little bit about me:
1. 27 year old professional and owner of a 2010 Honda Accord EX (bought brand new for $19700 on 11/23/2010).
2. I drive a good amount but spreading the miles on both of my vehicles (& a motorcycle) essentially puts my Accord at 24K miles now exactly.
3. I drive a lot, so don't judge. It is just that I distributed my miles wisely to remain low on all of vehicles.
3. I've done all of the maintenance at a local jiffy lube. This is mainly because I hate the stealership.
4. Maintenance primarily consisted of oil changes at every ~4K miles (without fail) along with tire rotations done every ~8K mles (without fail). Replaced the cabin air filter & air filter at ~15K miles.
5. Replaced the wipers myself at ~23K miles. Realized that the local jiffy lube was also trying to fleece people by asking them to change wipers/air-filters etc. when not needed.
6. Recently met with an accident (first accident ever, very defensive driver) when my car skidded off the road (black ice, they don't salt roads in NH late night) and into a ditch at ~35MPH. Repair costs ~$7400 paid by Geico insurance.
7. Got the car back after repair yesterday. Was thinking about trading it in but I doubt I will get even $11K for it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm assuming they did a poor job of fixing it since you want to dump it. What kind of new car do you want to buy? Do you have pics of the car wrecked and after the fix?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a few questions. Some are definitely weird:

1. I don't see too many "Bold Beige Metallic" (I like to call it "gold" exterior) color Accords on roads. Is it not a very popular color choice? I had only 2 choices when I bought my car. I probably should have bought the "Dark Blue" color but I liked the fake wood trim in the "Gold" one's interior :)

2. How much do you think the car might have lost in value because of the "accident" although everything was repaired correctly?

3. I am also considering keeping it for the long haul now. It is a very nice, reliable car and the best part being that it is obviously paid for in cash.

4. Since this vehicle could be in the family for at least the next 5 years, I wanted to bring it in for service at a Honda Stealership next time. Are there any specific maintenance items that I might have missed until now? (Only did 6 oil changes, 3 tire rotations, 1 cain air filter replacement & 1 air filter replacement)

5. I truly miss the USB functionality that some of the newer cars provide. Is there anyway that I could install a USB port on my EX I4? I know College Hills has done it on an EX-L, but the answer was not immediately apparent during my search for such a mod on an EX... So I appreciate any help/suggestions?

6. My car is truly stock with the only addition being a "Honda Trunk Tray". Any other additional accessories that are worth the money?

7. My key-fob does not work correctly (even with new battery) and there is a rattle sound from the rear deck inside the cabin. I searched and found the TSB's for these posted. I will bring my car over to the stealership for this to be taken care of... Any other TSB's that are better done/completed at the same time?

8. I lost my Valet key while clearing out some junk from my basement :( As I understand, I will need this Valet key for any keyfob programming in the future. Any cheap method to do this?

9. I am very fussy about maintaining my vehicles correctly. That being said, this Accord has only been averaging a low 350 miles combined for a full tank of gas (since new). Is this normal?

10. When I'm driving up an incline (even slightly) I can feel that car struggling to accelerate from a stop light. Why is this car so underpowered? My other vehicle (2011 Altima 2.5S) is very zippy and this car just feels like a sloth..

11. I don't like to go beyond 3000 RPM's (the highest I ever pushed this Accord was 3500 RPM) on any of my vehicles. Why is this vehicle so underpowered in the lower RPM bands?

12. What do you suggest, sell it or keep it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm assuming they did a poor job of fixing it since you want to dump it. What kind of new car do you want to buy? Do you have pics of the car wrecked and after the fix?
Nope. They did an excellent job of fixing it. The repairs have been guaranteed for life by the shop. I asked around before picking the body shop. It is not a Geico preferred shop, a local (30 miles from my home) family owned shop with only 2 employees. He was very respectful and answered all of my questions. I let them take more than a month to fix it (so as to not hurry them in anyway which ends in a poor job). Since I had my other car, it wasn't much of a trouble although Geico didn't extend my rental replacement...

I've never been fond of accident vehicles myself. I was considering buying a 4WD SUV for a long time. It is just that the accident finally opened my eyes to the thought.. In NH it does help to have a 4WD SUV you know... I was considering buying a Honda Pilot 4WD since 01/01/2013. I just wasn't sure I wanted another loan :) So obviously didn't pull the trigger.

Main reason for considering the trading in is because my other vehicle is a 2011 Altima 2.5S sedan (21K miles). Unfortunately, 2 sedans is kinda redundant and they don't get used much since wife & I both work at same place (0.75 miles from home).

Thanks for the reply though... I will post some pics soon.
Max

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a few questions. Some are definitely weird:

1. I don't see too many "Bold Beige Metallic" (I like to call it "gold" exterior) color Accords on roads. Is it not a very popular color choice? I had only 2 choices when I bought my car. I probably should have bought the "Dark Blue" color but I liked the fake wood trim on the "Gold" one :)

Not a popular color choice? Why? Its the way it is.

2. How much do you think the car might have lost in value because of the "accident" although everything was repaired correctly?

Not much as long as the car has been repaired correctly, but could raise an eyebrow and deter some people away from purchasing, but obviously people will try to lowball you regardless if your car was never in an accident and was in an accident. I think its how well you present your car to potential buyer and stay firm on your pricing.

3. I am also considering keeping it for the long haul now. It is a very nice, reliable car and the best part being that it is obviously paid for in cash.

This is not a question, so what do you want?

4. Since this vehicle could be in the family for at least the next 5 years, I wanted to bring it in for service at a Honda Stealership next time. Are there any specific maintenance items that I might have missed until now? (Only did 6 oil changes, 3 tire rotations, 1 cain air filter replacement & 1 air filter replacement)

Brake fluids, check uneven break wears as well as uneven tire wears, and regular safety check ups

5. I truly miss the USB functionality that some of the newer cars provide. Is there anyway that I could install a USB port on my EX I4? I know College Hills has done it on an EX-L, but the answer was not immediately apparent during my search for such a mod on an EX... So I appreciate any help/suggestions?

CAll College Hills and find out?

6. My car is truly stock with the only addition being a "Honda Trunk Tray". Any other additional accessories that are worth the money?

Depends on what you want and looking for? Maybe a tint?

7. My key-fob does not work correctly (even with new battery) and there is a rattle sound from the rear deck inside the cabin. I searched and found the TSB's for these posted. I will bring my car over to the stealership for this to be taken care of... Any other TSB's that are better done/completed at the same time?

No

8. I lost my Valet key while clearing out some junk from my basement :( As I understand, I will need this Valet key for any keyfob programming in the future. Any cheap method to do this?

I don't think you need the valet key for repgromaning

9. I am a very fussy about maintaining my vehicles correctly. That being said, this Accord has only been averaging a low 350 miles combined for a full tank of gas (since new). Is this normal?

It really depends on how much city/highway driving you do, how heavy your feet is.

10. When I'm driving up an incline (even slightly) I can feel that car struggling to accelerate from a stop light. Why is this car so underpowered? My other vehicle (2011 Altima 2.5S) is very zippy and this car just feels like a sloth..

I am assuming you have an I4, then duh. Thats why Honda sells V6 for more $. I too had an altima, it is true altima feels quicker and lighter but I prefer the heavier handling of the accord, its a lot more stable.

11. I don't like to go beyond 3000 RPM's on any of my vehicles. Why is this vehicle so underpowered in the lower RPM bands? Again, get a V6

12. What do you suggest, sell it or keep it? Its your car, so its your call
hope this helps

·
2008 Accord Coupe EX
999 Posts
The Accord is a heavy car the i4 feels even heavier, I don't find mine struggling on hills too bad unless my trunk is full of luggage and have other people in the car while running the A/C then it really struggles up hills

1 - 7 of 7 Posts