Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Honda Accord EX 4 cylinder, with 207000 miles that just today started stalling.

The check engine light has started blinking and in the lower gears the car is very slow to accelerate and jerking but seems to be ok above 30MPH. Also I see the RPM go all the way to 3000 and stay there but the car barely accelerating. The same issue presents itself when trying to accelerate in D3. I haven't gone much over 40 MPH since this issue started.

From a little googling it looks like it could be a bad transmission and/or fuel pump. Any other thoughts as to what it could be? I was going to drive down to the dealer later on today.
Thanks!

· Polished Metal Metallica
1,553 Posts
Is there an Autozone or Pep Boys on the way to the dealer? You might want to get the code read (which those shops should do for free) to give you a better idea of what's going on. Otherwise, we're all just throwing guesses at the wall.

Once you have a code, come back and let us know and we can give you better advice.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great advice.

I drove down to the Pep Boys to pull the code but was told I should go to an AutoZone, if I wanted it done for free. I'll do this on the way home today.

Anyway funnily enough the problem disappeared on the way to Pep Boys. It is driving normal and now the flashing check engine light is replaced with a solid one. I'll update with the code.

· V6 Supremacist 😎
Victus - 2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
2,241 Posts
Bit of a chicken and the egg situation with P0420. Your engine has been misfiring and over time that can cause a P0420.

Reactions: 97trophy and Hudouc

1,553 Posts
P0420 is your catalytic converter (or, tangentially, could also be an 02 sensor). A really gummed up cat could cause some performance issues. Is your car burning any oil? That tends to be what kills 8th gen Accord catalytic converters.

83-13 is a bit more interesting... is your VSA light on, by any chance?

(Edit: I wouldn't go throwing parts at the problems. If you're not someone who enjoys deep-diving into a vehicle's diagnosis, it will be cheaper in the long run if you take it to a shop who can do a proper diagnosis and repair)

· Turbo lag
3,027 Posts
83-13 is a ECM/PCM communication error.
Ignoring the P0420 right now, maybe a rodent chewed through a wiring harness somewhere.

Reactions: DerekWildstar

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The VSA light was on for a brief moment, but went away when I stopped the car and restarted it.

Hmm, interesting diagnosis on the rodent. Sure hope it isn't that, gulp!

· V6 Supremacist 😎
2,241 Posts
I would actually ignore the 83-13 error. Often when Honda engines go into limp mode or some fault is detected, they can throw an ECM/PCM communication error code when there is actually no issue there. I'd bet the P0420 is causing some issue. Maybe a partially clogged cat? At your mileage with the oil burning reputation of these engines it wouldn't surprise me.

· Turbo lag
3,027 Posts
I would actually ignore the 83-13 error. Often when Honda engines go into limp mode or some fault is detected, they can throw an ECM/PCM communication error code when there is actually no issue there. I'd bet the P0420 is causing some issue. Maybe a partially clogged cat? At your mileage with the oil burning reputation of these engines it wouldn't surprise me.
Huh, you learn something new everyday. Interesting enough, the service manual has no troubleshooting procedure for 83-13.

I also wonder if the cat collapsed, that's why you are suddenly having this issue.
I would remove the up stream O2 sensor and see if you can take a peek at the cat.

· 2015 accord sport
218 Posts
I have a 2010 Honda Accord EX 4 cylinder, with 207000 miles that just today started stalling.

The check engine light has started blinking and in the lower gears the car is very slow to accelerate and jerking but seems to be ok above 30MPH. Also I see the RPM go all the way to 3000 and stay there but the car barely accelerating. The same issue presents itself when trying to accelerate in D3. I haven't gone much over 40 MPH since this issue started.

From a little googling it looks like it could be a bad transmission and/or fuel pump. Any other thoughts as to what it could be? I was going to drive down to the dealer later on today.
Thanks!
Based on the info. given it is possibly a fuel pump going bad, I experienced the same issues in my car while back, trying to accelerate on freeway ramps caused my car to hesitate but if I did it slowly it was ok , as well just flooring on straight roads did the same thing. Good luck

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Upon looking at the data sheet, I missed an additional code that was reported that might be the cause.

P0339: Crankshaft Position Sensor “A” Circuit Intermittent

For now the codes have been cleared and the car is driving normally. If this re-occurs, is the best course to change this sensor?

1,553 Posts
Upon looking at the data sheet, I missed an additional code that was reported that might be the cause.

P0339: Crankshaft Position Sensor “A” Circuit Intermittent

For now the codes have been cleared and the car is driving normally. If this re-occurs, is the best course to change this sensor?
If the codes come up again and you can't do a full diagnosis yourself, I'd still vote against just throwing parts at it. Take it somewhere for a proper diagnosis first. It'll be cheaper in the long run.

· V6 Supremacist 😎
2,241 Posts
I've seen P0339 caused by timing chain issues as well. Matter of fact, when I got my 2010 back from the dealer after the VTC actuator job, it was throwing a P0339. They took it back and said the timing chain wasn't reinstalled correctly and the timing was off, so they redid it and it was fine after that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts