Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

i have a 2010 Honda Accord EXL V6 with 175k miles on it. Today I drove home from work andmy VSA light, as well as my CEL came on. I’m getting error code P0301. Can anyone assist in recommendations on how to go about this? Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Cylinder 1 misfire, could be the coil pack or a few other things..
When is the last time you changed the spark plugs?

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
It might be worth checking that plug anyway, though, to get a look at it, and you can try swapping that plug to one of the other cylinders and see what happens.
If it doesn't change the code, then, investigate the coil packs.
Do you stick to OEM spec? NGK? Denso?

VSA errror is traction control, but sometimes in a Honda, that can come on when you have an engine code.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It might be worth checking that plug anyway, though, to get a look at it, and you can try swapping that plug to one of the other cylinders and see what happens.
If it doesn't change the code, then, investigate the coil packs.
Do you stick to OEM spec? NGK? Denso?

VSA errror is traction control, but sometimes in a Honda, that can come on when you have an engine code.
i had someone change my plugs a year ago, I didn’t do it myself so I don’t know specifically what’s in there :(

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
i had someone change my plugs a year ago, I didn’t do it myself so I don’t know specifically what’s in there :(
Time to pull a plug and find out the brand..or pay someone to do it. It's not hard if you've got a few tools.
Are you skilled enough to do it??
Hondas don't do well with non-OEM plugs, typically.
Hopefully, they didn't put in some off brand, or, Autolite, or some cheap brand.

Do you typically drive short periods of time? Driving short periods of time can foul plugs, so when you pull them, you can see if they're oil fouled or if that one looks different than the others...
You may also have a leaky spark plug tube gasket...and that could be causing a misfire....who knows.

Noticed the flag...is that Puerto Rico?

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Basically P0301 is an issue with cylinder 1. The typical issue is the coil pack, but on these V6 engines it has been lots of things.

If you can operate a socket wrench and remove the coil pack and swap it to cylinder 3 that will give you an idea of the coil pack is bad. You should pull the spark plugs as well to check on the condition.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
8th Gen Believer
3,893 Posts
Does the car use oil? Check the plug for oil fouling.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the car use oil? Check the plug for oil fouling.
it never has in the past

Time to pull a plug and find out the brand..or pay someone to do it. It's not hard if you've got a few tools.
Are you skilled enough to do it??
Hondas don't do well with non-OEM plugs, typically.
Hopefully, they didn't put in some off brand, or, Autolite, or some cheap brand.

Do you typically drive short periods of time? Driving short periods of time can foul plugs, so when you pull them, you can see if they're oil fouled or if that one looks different than the others...
You may also have a leaky spark plug tube gasket...and that could be causing a misfire....who knows.

Noticed the flag...is that Puerto Rico?
I kinda jumped the gun and just changed the coil. Reset the light and drove about 100 miles. No issue thus far. I couldn’t get the plug out of cylinder 1 because of its positioning and my socket doesn’t hug it to pull it out :(
I’ll check back in a few days when I have more time, hopefully the light stays away I’m from Florida. Not sure why there is a Puerto Rican flag next to my name lol

Basically P0301 is an issue with cylinder 1. The typical issue is the coil pack, but on these V6 engines it has been lots of things.

If you can operate a socket wrench and remove the coil pack and swap it to cylinder 3 that will give you an idea of the coil pack is bad. You should pull the spark plugs as well to check on the condition.

Replaced the coil and reset the CEL. No issues thus far, have driven about 100 miles and no return of the CEL

·
Registered
4,165 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
That needs some cleaning, if the coil was bad it would have gotten all carboned up. Either replace it or clean it up.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
IMO, you got quite a bit of oil getting into that cylinder, somehow...
That doesn't look right.
Never had a plug on any of my engines look like that, unless there was oil fouling going on.
What brand plug is it??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That needs some cleaning, if the coil was bad it would have gotten all carboned up. Either replace it or clean it up.

I replaced it
Hoping the CEL doesn’t return :(

IMO, you got quite a bit of oil getting into that cylinder, somehow...
That doesn't look right.
Never had a plug on any of my engines look like that, unless there was oil fouling going on.
What brand plug is it??
it was a champion plug

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
It was a champion

it was a champion plug
I bet your manual doesn't recommend Champions, does it?
should be NGK or Denso!

What did you put in there as a replacement??

You need a mechanic who's looking out for your best interest, why he ever put those plugs in there, is anyone's guess...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bet your manual doesn't recommend Champions, does it?
should be NGK or Denso!

What did you put in there as a replacement??

You need a mechanic who's looking out for your best interest, why he ever put those plugs in there, is anyone's guess...
darn. Okay I’ll replace them with NGK or Denso. Any particular One you find to be better?
Yeah I’m not sure why they put champions in there. They put champion iridium plugs

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I'd use NGK iridiums, but like I say, that plug you pulled shouldn't be that nasty looking..that cylinder has some issues going on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd use NGK iridiums, but like I say, that plug you pulled shouldn't be that nasty looking..that cylinder has some issues going on.
Yeah, I believe the coil was bad. It wasn’t wet, it was a dry build up, but you’re right. Only problem I’ve had with the vehicle was my purge valve solenoid was bad for some time. I will investigate

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey all,

recently got P0301 code in my 2010 Honda Accord EXL. I changed both the coil and plug. My concern is the appearance of my plug. Has anyone seen any issues that presented itself like this? Only other issue I’ve had was a bad purge valve solenoid.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Yeah, I believe the coil was bad. It wasn’t wet, it was a dry build up, but you’re right. Only problem I’ve had with the vehicle was my purge valve solenoid was bad for some time. I will investigate
No oil consumption in this car?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts