Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I am a new customer to Honda! I am 19 and My first car was a 2006 Mazda 6 3.0. "if you know what they are you will know why I switched to Honda!" Well it's good to be apart of the family but I have a few question and concerns! What should I look for in my 2010 accord? I do a little work here and there on cars and would love to tackle anything that could be a harm to the life of this car! Thanks for your time!

Gearhead Girl 馃
Welcome and congrats! I'm 21 and have a 2010 Accord LX as my first car. First of all though, which engine do you have, I-4 or V6? What kind of transmission and mileage?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome and congrats! I'm 21 and have a 2010 Accord LX as my first car. First of all though, which engine do you have, I-4 or V6?
Thanks for your reply man! Sorry I forgot to put the engine type is the 2.4L!

Thanks for your reply man! Sorry I forgot to put the engine type is the 2.4L!
Welcome and congrats! I'm 21 and have a 2010 Accord LX as my first car. First of all though, which engine do you have, I-4 or V6? What kind of transmission and mileage?
Ma'am*

Gearhead Girl 馃
Nice choice! So the 2.4L tends to burn oil as it gets older, there's no particular age or mileage for it to start though, and for some it never happens at all. Keep an eye on your engine oil level, especially in the beginning here.
I learned to drive in my mom's 2009 and it tended to go through brake pads pretty quickly, I lightly drive my 2010 but it seems to be a relatively widespread issue in general in the 8G. The rotors can warp too, this can cause some shaky vibrations when you brake.
Also, I tacked it on as an edit above so you might not have seen it, but assuming you have an automatic transmission, check your transmission fluid and change it if needed. For ATF, red is good, brown is not.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Nice choice! So the 2.4L tends to burn oil as it gets older, there's no particular age or mileage for it to start though, and for some it never happens at all. Keep an eye on your engine oil level, especially in the beginning here.
I learned to drive in my mom's 2009 and it tended to go through brake pads pretty quickly, I lightly drive my 2010 but it seems to be a relatively widespread issue in general in the 8G. The rotors can warp too, this can cause some shaky vibrations when you brake.
Also, I tacked it on as an edit above so you might not have seen it, but assuming you have an automatic transmission, check your transmission fluid and change it if needed. For ATF, red is good, brown is not.
Yea so i've heard! Been reading a lot and I see a lot on the 2.4L burns oil and to keep and eye on the automatic transmission. But I bought the car from a pretty nice guy who my boss knows, it has 77,000 miles on it engine looks very clean I checked everything and it drives smooth like it was new! But I will for sure keep and eye on all of those things! Do you know the fixes to those problems?

Gearhead Girl 馃
As far as I know, they're not so much fixable problems as they are just little nuisances that need to be watched. Compared to other cars' problems though, it's really not that bad. Just replace the pads and rotors as needed, and top off the engine oil if needed as well. Transmission problems in the 8G 2.4L are almost unheard of as long as you stay on top of your fluid changes!
I do vaguely recall someone on the forum working on a fix for the oil consumption issue, he said he'd share the fix if he discovers one. Not sure how much progress he's made on finding a solution, though.

Edit: one other potential problem is the VTC actuator. If yours goes bad, you'll hear a grinding/rattle sound at cold starts. We bought our 2009 2.4L brand new and sold it at 145k and never had the issue, and my 2010 hasn't had the issue, but many people have.

Registered
Welcome, and congrats on the new ride. @Ash051 has a lot of great advice. I would just suggest to take a few hours and go through the 8th gen sub-forum here. There are several threads you鈥檒l find that are 鈥淚 just bought an 8th gen- what鈥檚 next?鈥

One question: are you in the snow belt? If so, there are some specific rust points in the front end to look out for (such as where the transmission cooler lines meet the radiator).

Registered
Welcome! I don't know much about the 2.4 but I can tell you this is a great fourm.

99% of people will tell you to double check the car twice. You know fluids and maintenance make sure it's all up to date. Luckily you don't have a timing belt to worry about!

Alot of great help here and far too much reading for me hahah

MT or death
My first car was a 2006 Mazda 6 3.0. "if you know what they are you will know why I switched to Honda!"
Hey, my last car was a 2004 Mazda 6 wagon with the 3.0! I absolutely loved that car but the weak link was that Ford motor. I came to Honda on the promise it would be more reliable and it certainly has been so far. I miss the space and the looks of that gorgeous wagon but definitely not adding oil all the time and wondering when the next misfire would happen... That said, I'd probably buy another one.

Reactions: DerekWildstar

Turbo lag
Transmission problems in the 8G 2.4L are almost unheard of as long as you stay on top of your fluid changes!
Yup, this is true. Pushing more than double the factory horsepower and double the factory torque and still problem free here.

Congrats, they are great cars. I should know, I have two. Like others have said, keep up with all the fluid changes. At this age, pretty much all the fluids should be changed once by now. I actually just heard my first real VTC rattle today. rip. Another thing to look out for is sticking rear caliper. I had to replace my passenger side rear caliper about 4 years ago, and my driver side just started to stick last week.

Reactions: DerekWildstar

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thank all of you so much for all the great information! The Mazda forums aren't like yall! But I will keep a close eye on all of those things for sure and make sure to keep up to date with my fluids! But @AccorDokken There greats cars I replaced all seals and basically everything you can replace on that engine. but the v6 had a lot of problems and I had to convert over to honda!

8th Gen Believer
I have a 2009, never had a brake issue. That depends a lot on how you drive it, city, freeway, how hard you brake. I'm 99% sure rotors don't warp. They get clumps of brake dust and road funk on them that makes them feel warped, especially during high speed braking.

Registered
09 2.4 LX-P rear brake recalled during first year, no issue with brake after that recall. Keep up with oil, transmission, steering fluid changes will last you a long time. I replaced the starter, tension belt and idler once. Like it so much that I brought another Honda Accord, 2020 hybrid.

Registered
Solved the brake warping problem with a set of powerstop rotors and pads for the front. Other thing you should do it you have the automatic is change the transmission fluid regularly. A simple drain and fill takes about 3 to 4 quarts of Honda ATF. Do this on a regular basis and the transmission will last a long time. I've been doing that since new on my 2012 and it shifts perfectly. Did the same on my 2002 V6 and it was shifting fine when I sold it with 270,000 miles. Waiting for 100K to service it is a poor idea in my opinion. It's very easy to do the drain and fill.

Registered
Congrats! Keep ALL the fluids changed out and don't drive like a bat out of he1L and it should treat you well. I have a 2012 with 63K miles and it drives and runs like new. I just changed the transmission fluid and engine/cabin air filters today. Maintenance on these cars is stupid simple.

I would recommend doing 3 separate transmission fluid drain and refills (don't take to a shop and "flush"). Honda recommends the drain and fill method. It is easier than an oil change. Once your initial 3 are complete I recommend doing 1 drain and fill per year. That is what I do and it keeps the fluid fresh and clean at all times. Use the OEM Honda DW-1 transmission fluid, it is the only transmission fluid that Honda recommends contrary to what others may say.

These are solid cars, maintain it and it should last you a while!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts