Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found this LX-S.. went and test drove it today. Drives nice and looks good.
But I did notice something iffy about the back bumper, there was a screw on the outside holding the bumper.
The trunk has a spot where it's showing rust, a deep grove.
The driver door also has a nasty mark.

I checked the car fax, and it was golden.
I checked the AutoCheck and that's where I am stuck now.
Here it is: http://usedcars.autocheck.com/autocheckreport.html?vin=1HGCS1A31AA013956#title-and-problem-check

This is the car here http://www.rptsales.com/2010-Honda-Accord-LX-S-Orlando-FL-32809/4530499

Before showing anyone at the dealership the AutoCheck, I asked them over and over if there is any frame damage and everyone said no, the car is perfect. Then once I showed them the AutoCheck, they said one potential buyer had a guy come out and check the car and said everything was okay... so then why didn't he buy it if everything was ok??
Also frame damage you can't just visually inspect, it has to be put on a machine to check if everything aligns.

Carfax and Autocheck show 0 accidents so I am wondering how this unibody/frame damage occured.

Would you risk of buying it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The autocheck link does not work.

As I'm sure you know, CarFax is pretty much worthless.

From your description, it probably was hit in the rear. This should be reflected in the price, and it doesnt seem that it is.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,611 Posts
Given that there are many many Accords out there I wouldn't be jumping on a car as badly repaired as this one seems to be. My advice is patience - the right one will come along shortly I would think.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,068 Posts
I thought unibody applied to trucks and the like with a frame that runs front to back. Does the Accord count with it's front and rear subframes?

And agree with Markus, find another fish in the sea.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The autocheck link does not work.

As I'm sure you know, CarFax is pretty much worthless.

From your description, it probably was hit in the rear. This should be reflected in the price, and it doesnt seem that it is.
Okay to view the Auto CHeck go here
http://usedcars.autocheck.com/detai...0cmFuc21pc3Npb24tTWFudWFs&v_user=YXV0b2NoZWNr
On the right side by the price click on it. It should pull it up.

And yes you are right, it isn't reflected in the price, that is why I think I can bring it down 2,000 dollars.
But the unknowns of the ''frame damage'' worries me.

Given that there are many many Accords out there I wouldn't be jumping on a car as badly repaired as this one seems to be. My advice is patience - the right one will come along shortly I would think.
Yes yes I know.. but this one was beautiful, and in my price range once I bring the price down. Plus it was a manual, been hard to find.

Did you really think the car salesmen were going to tell you the truth? :lmao:
Not right away, but after i asked like ten times he should of got the hint that I knew.. but all 3 kept insisting no frame damage. THen once I showed them the Auto Check they said another customer brought his mechanic and checked the frame alignment (which I think is BS) and said it was okay.

Okay here are some pics I took, this is a screw on the outside of the rear bumper.. I couldn't believe they just screwed it on like that, totally ruined the bumper

Here is a ding on the drivers door that they did a crappy job of covering up

Here is nasty ding on the trunk, a lot of rust showing, can possibly get way worse

I wanted to ask if your cars have this stuff.. inside the wheel well/ fender
There is some soft/gel type of red thing.. I don't know what to call it

It feels like clay

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
The question is does it have a clean title? If the title has rebuilt on it then run away, if the title is clean have a competent mechanic or Body shop guy look at the car and see if it was repaired properly and have the alignment checked to be sure all 4 wheels are tracking properly. The price they have listed is $14,999 and they should only get that price if the car is undamaged, you should be looking at the most $12,500 if the car checks out. Looking at the Web they have had this car awhile so they are looking to get rid of it.

After seeing the pictures, I would look for another car unless this one was mighty cheap 10k to 11k.

·
2012 Accord SE
30 Posts

Couldn't agree anymore, same with me was gonna buy a used 2010 accord for 18k with 23k miles, waited a little bought a brand new 2012 for 20,600.

·
BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!
15,210 Posts
i wouldn't mess with it.... move on. let it be someone else's problem....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes looks for sure like bad body work all over. If the owner was that hard on the car and had that kind of shoddy work done to it, who knows what else is neglected. If you cant afford this car at 15k i'd look at an older model in excellent condition rather than this newer one in such bad shape. This one is a definite pass to me...

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
Don't walk, run away! Plenty of fish in the sea, find another Accord.

·
BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!
15,210 Posts
i'm curious, where are you, and what are you looking for in a car? stick with the accord? possibility of going with something else?

i can do a search, and give you some ideas of accords that would be in better shape, and might be worth looking at.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'm curious, where are you, and what are you looking for in a car? stick with the accord? possibility of going with something else?

i can do a search, and give you some ideas of accords that would be in better shape, and might be worth looking at.
I am in orlando fl.
I'm trying to find a reliable car that's good on gas and is cheaper to maintain.
Right now I have a 2004 Audi a4 1.8t I love the car but at almost ten years old, parts are still very expensive. Its an automatic with shift but I would like a manual. I like how the Honda accord coupe looks and fell in my price range.

So I'm looking for 2010+ , 40000 or less miles

·
BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!
15,210 Posts
auto or manual?

coupe only, or sedan as well?

4 cylinder or v6?

any particular color choice?

price range?

features wanted in a car? (power everything, satellite radio, leather, dual-zone climate control, etc)

·
Honda Nation
1,679 Posts
As someone who has had limited experience at a body shop (part time back in my college days 15+ years ago), but enough to know what I see, I see paint overspray in the wheel arches and that does NOT come from the factory. Cheaper body shops don't tape off the wheel arches like the ones with better reputations. A good body shop tapes the crap out of everything but what needs painted.

There's no good damn reason for a screw to be put through the bumper. Even a hack job shop wouldn't do that - which leads me to believe that the screw through the bumper is homemade. Someone attempted the repairs in their own back yard. Which in turn would be why repairs might not show up on certain history reports - if Jim Bob took care of it at home no body shop would have a record.

Run as fast as you can away from this car. Not only is it poorly repaired, if the rear frame damage was not repaired in accordance to state and federal laws (there are federal guidelines on chassis components that must be followed to ensure the vehicle remains as safe as it came from the factory), it's dangerous and should be totaled.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,068 Posts
"Here is a ding on the drivers door that they did a crappy job of covering up"

Is that even clearcoated? Looks like they sprayed the whole panel with glossy red. Versus the next picture of the trunk where you can see the "candy shell" clear coat easily.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.