Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted on here a few times recently that I've been bummed out with my decision to purchase an Accord coupe over the Altima coupe. Some of reasons are, I like the smaller exterior dimensions of the Altima, and I like the options not offered on the Accord: HID head lights, turn signal mirrors, smart key with push button start, auto-dimming mirror (okay, the Accord coupe has that as option, but it should be standard for a $30K car!) etc.

As was the case when car shopping for a 6-speed Accord, there were no 6-speed Altimas to test drive. So I based my decision to go with the Accord on comparison reviews, and the Accords sterling reliability, safety, and resale values. The only comparison reviews I was able to read however were of the 08 versions of both vehicles, and the Altima was substantially changed for the 2010 model year. I could not find a review of the 2010 Altima 6-speed coupe, until now that is.

So below is a link to an article by Automobile Magazine I have never seen before today, and it completely puts my mind at ease I made the right decision. Yes, the Accord has not all of a sudden shrunk in size, or gained any of the options I would have liked from the Altima, but after reading the review those things become moot due the slam dunk win of the Accord. I am so happy a finally got to read a comparison of the two for 2010 model year, because now I know longer need to trouble myself with feeling as though maybe I made a mistake. I love driving my car, and it has been problem free in the 10 months I've owned it, but I have gained a whole new level of respect for it after reading this comparison test. Enjoy!

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1009_2011_honda_accord_coupe_v6_vs_nissan_altima_coupe_3_5_sr/index.html

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
The redesign is good, I like what they have done on the outside but thats where it ends for me.

My friend has the 2010 Altima and I did a comparison side by side next to my car. The paint quality on his black color car is SO bad it stood out right away. The black plastic trim all around was so poorly made along with pretty much all the slap ons on the outside. Dont get me started on the interior of the car. Altimas have some of the ugliest interiors out there. Everything from the materials used didnt even come close to my accord and the overall design/shapes. Altima drivers have way more rattle and noise issues than our makes, go to nissanclub.com and read all about it (I used to own a nissan so still a member there).

I love how I can put a big ass shovel that I bought from Home depot into my trunk and not have to put the seats down, Altima has way smaller trunk. If you read the news lately Nissan extended their CVT transmission warranties for 120k. They didnt do that because they are deeply in love with their customers, but because they were getting sued left and right since their shitty CVT transmissions were braking.

·
Honda Nation
2,184 Posts
Honda's perspective, and I agree, has always been: you want fancy gizmos and flashy lights and bells and whistles and neat gimmicks, buy something else.... you want a great car that handles really well, is uber reliable, solid, and great value for the money, buy a Honda.

The greatest proof of this was the late 1980s and early 1990s when GM had electronic gauges, talking dashboards, and power controls for everything that moved, and were similarly priced as Accords, yet Honda Accords alone outsold some of GMs entire divisions

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree that the accord should have a smart key, that is the one function I miss the most. I would also like HID's if they do put out more lumens. I should really just do an HID upgrade.

Thanks for posting the article, it was interesting. Although I do not consider the honda transmission to by silky smooth. I think it's notchy, but I do like it. I would consider silky to just glide into gear like my 70 Challenger does, without the detent like feeling, but thats just me.

·
Gota love BLUE
643 Posts
Nissans are Fugly except the GTR and Zs everything else in lame

·
Registered
2011 Honda Accord Coupe - V6, 6-speed
72 Posts
The Altima coupe is such a G35/37-wannabe. The Accord is soooo much more stylish while the Altima is just boring...

·
Registered
90 Posts
The Honda transmission is silky smooth everywhere except 1st to 2nd. Or at least that has been my experience, having driven an '09 SI and my '10 accord.

I do really like the look of the Altima coupe, but that article just proved what I had thought all along: All show, no go.

·
Banned
885 Posts
thanks for the article. i seriously considered the altima. the main thing that made me choose the accord coupe was the trunk. the altima's trunk is MUCH smaller (reminded me of my old miata). i travel for work occassionally, and my suitcase had to be stuffed into the altima trunk. a 2nd minor point was the dealership experience. the nissan dealers were hard-sell jerks. the accord dealer was nice and took me for an extended test drive.

i'm very pleased with my decision.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
So below is a link to an article by Automobile Magazine I have never seen before today...............
Appreciate the link. Automobile mag actually had additional 2010 Honda coupe information: a comparison with the new Mustang 6-6 plus a stand alone article.

I really enjoyed the read (especially after my test drive of the Mustang). My final impression is much like yours (and I'm one generation removed).

I'll stand. (But I'm saving my Naval Reserve bread for the timing belt, water pump, NGK 100,000+ plugs et al...........)

Thanks again for posting the link.....

season's best, ez....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for posting the link.....

season's best, ez....
My pleasure!

I also agree with the other comments posted in this thread, especially the trunk size comparison. The much bigger Accord trunk is really helpful over the Altima, and in that sense the extra size of the Accord is warranted.

I did go back and read some of the other reviews of the coupe, including the face off against the 2011 Mustang. While the Accord didn't win that one, it did very well considering the deficiency in FWD vs RWD. The new Mustang is a nice car, but I would not choose a Ford over a Honda. Call me a Honda snob if you must, but I feel more comfortable buying a Honda, even if both cars are manufacture in the USA.

One thing I noted in their reviews of the Accord coupe were the differing opinions about the transmission, some loved it, some not so much. Personally I love it, I think it is everything a manual transmission should be, it's easy to shift with positive shift action, it feels solid with no play in the stick, and the clutch has an easy, progressive take up with a clearly felt engagement point. Plus the pedals are spaced perfectly for heel and toeing. I absolutely have to disagree with their complaints about it, but each to their own I guess. Plus automotive journalists usually test cars that have been beaten on by other journalists, so who knows what the condition the car was in for that test.

·
Retired from Car Biz....
9,545 Posts
I park next to an altima about 3 days a week and have looked at it from all angles. There are times I really like it, and then I get a look from it's hind quarter, and it just looks bulky and for lack of a better term, "japanesey" - like some late '70 designs.. Can't get over that. My accord , to me, looks good from all angles.

·
Registered
134 Posts
... I think it is everything a manual transmission should be, it's easy to shift with positive shift action, it feels solid with no play in the stick, ..... Plus the pedals are spaced perfectly for heel and toeing.
I agree with the first part... "positive shift action", but I do think the shifter is not solid, it's feels kind of squishy. I think I need to install the shift bushings to fix this.
And as for the pedal spacing you must have wider feet than me. If I wear my boots I can get a foot on the brake and gas at the same time, but if I have on a narrower shoe I can't seem to get on both pedals like I could in my Eclipse.
I tend to be a perfectionist and while the car is good, there are little things could be better for me.

And I also felt better buying a Honda over a Ford :) , although I realize Ford has come a long way.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I think it is everything a manual transmission should be, it's easy to shift with positive shift action, it feels solid with no play in the stick, and the clutch has an easy, progressive take up with a clearly felt engagement point.
I wonder if the GenVIII has the slave cylinder check valve. If so, I am wondering about the "clearly felt engagement point".

I recall someone here (DA) describing the engagement point with the words "its like trying to hit a moving target". I take that to mean a vague and elusive clutch engagement.................

I am crazy about my GenVII 6M. Fuel efficient, fast, reliable and striking.
I am not crazy about the funny clutch. And I'm not alone.

Otherwise, this sailor has no complaints...........

season's best, ez....

·
Registered
188 Posts
coworker got the nissan coupe a few weeks prior to my purchase of the lx-s manual. his cars in the shop it seems every month. that may b exaggerating a tad, but its in the shop a lot; bottomline. in the words of the 3rd brother & knight who guards the Holy Grail in Indiana jones & the last crusade, - "you have chosen.....wisely." after driving his car, i felt my 4cyl was faster. i know it is not, but it def felt so. his rpms ar 80mph were 2900-3000, whereas mine stay at 2500rpm, on the i-4. thats just overall gear ratio comparison, i know, but still. that meant a lot to me. the engine revving at 3000 in the nissan when it has a lower peak red line than either the i-4 or v6 in the Honda, means a lot to me. mainly b/c the nissan engine is working harder within its powerband rpm range to achieve slow highway speeds than the honda's. this translates to more wear with the nissan, more oil changing, more everything imo. now, i cant give the rpm discrepancy betw the v6 honda & the nissan exactly. so, i wont comment on that. i have driven the v6 honda coupe plenty when my ex g/f had an 2009. so, again, not 2010 as you are comparing. but, i must say the driving dynamics of the honda crushed the nissan is all aspects regardless of the 1 hp difference. i mean, the nissan's steering is a diff set up than ours & it ****ed bung hole imo. the steering was very very light & did not have any sport factor to it. bumps would throw the nissans steering wheel 2 inches & the car would stay straight on. we know the accords steering is amazing. the feel of the road is much better communicated in the honda, as well. some people want a quiet car that dampens noise & vibrations/roadfeel. those people get the nissan. the honda is a rougher, more sporty & stiff ride. the one thing, the nissan does not nose dive as much as the v6 does. its less nose dive than my i-4 too. diving aside, body roll is muc greater in the nissan as the slalom results show in every magazine review....dont remember specs, so i wont spit out numbers. the interiors, sadly are both quite bland & economical. i def like the honda lay out much more, but i cant say much more bout the interior except they both are average. thats a personal taste thing, i like the honda. exterior, theres no contest - Honda times 1million. the nissans front looks like a sentra, altima, or late model maxima. its hideous, the rear is also average. best part is the rear for sure. but, the honda's rear rem,inds me of a 2007-2010 bentley coupe's rear. i really didnt like the seats in the nissan. the honda's have great lumbar & side bolster support. the honda v6 auto she had was very smooth & had no probs pver taking a 18 wheeler. it felt much much faster & nimble than the altima coupe. the nissan was whiny when pushed & during aggressive acceleration, it had a jerkier feel to its tranny. but, again, you have a manual. i tested both v6s in auto/CVT. but thats about it. i liked the driving dynamics of the honda much more, even in my manual i4 than the nissan. plus, i did the research, they have lots more issues than the honda does. it was their 1st attempt at such a vehicle. honda's been doin this for decades.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Looks like, these comparisons are for coupe. How does I4 AT Sedans stack up. I went with Honda sedan without seriously evaluating Altima (We have a $500 corporate discount for Nissan).

·
Honda Nation
2,184 Posts
coworker got the nissan coupe a few weeks prior to my purchase of the lx-s manual. his cars in the shop it seems every month. that may b exaggerating a tad, but its in the shop a lot; bottomline. in the words of the 3rd brother & knight who guards the Holy Grail in Indiana jones & the last crusade, - "you have chosen.....wisely." after driving his car, i felt my 4cyl was faster. i know it is not, but it def felt so. his rpms ar 80mph were 2900-3000, whereas mine stay at 2500rpm, on the i-4. thats just overall gear ratio comparison, i know, but still. that meant a lot to me. the engine revving at 3000 in the nissan when it has a lower peak red line than either the i-4 or v6 in the Honda, means a lot to me. mainly b/c the nissan engine is working harder within its powerband rpm range to achieve slow highway speeds than the honda's. this translates to more wear with the nissan, more oil changing, more everything imo. now, i cant give the rpm discrepancy betw the v6 honda & the nissan exactly. so, i wont comment on that. i have driven the v6 honda coupe plenty when my ex g/f had an 2009. so, again, not 2010 as you are comparing. but, i must say the driving dynamics of the honda crushed the nissan is all aspects regardless of the 1 hp difference. i mean, the nissan's steering is a diff set up than ours & it ****ed bung hole imo. the steering was very very light & did not have any sport factor to it. bumps would throw the nissans steering wheel 2 inches & the car would stay straight on. we know the accords steering is amazing. the feel of the road is much better communicated in the honda, as well. some people want a quiet car that dampens noise & vibrations/roadfeel. those people get the nissan. the honda is a rougher, more sporty & stiff ride. the one thing, the nissan does not nose dive as much as the v6 does. its less nose dive than my i-4 too. diving aside, body roll is muc greater in the nissan as the slalom results show in every magazine review....dont remember specs, so i wont spit out numbers. the interiors, sadly are both quite bland & economical. i def like the honda lay out much more, but i cant say much more bout the interior except they both are average. thats a personal taste thing, i like the honda. exterior, theres no contest - Honda times 1million. the nissans front looks like a sentra, altima, or late model maxima. its hideous, the rear is also average. best part is the rear for sure. but, the honda's rear rem,inds me of a 2007-2010 bentley coupe's rear. i really didnt like the seats in the nissan. the honda's have great lumbar & side bolster support. the honda v6 auto she had was very smooth & had no probs pver taking a 18 wheeler. it felt much much faster & nimble than the altima coupe. the nissan was whiny when pushed & during aggressive acceleration, it had a jerkier feel to its tranny. but, again, you have a manual. i tested both v6s in auto/CVT. but thats about it. i liked the driving dynamics of the honda much more, even in my manual i4 than the nissan. plus, i did the research, they have lots more issues than the honda does. it was their 1st attempt at such a vehicle. honda's been doin this for decades.
In the future please try to separate your thoughts into grouped paragraphs, or at least hyphens, with capitols at the beginning of your sentences.

I can't speak for everyone but I certainly cannot read what you just said.

·
Banned
885 Posts
In the future please try to separate your thoughts into grouped paragraphs, or at least hyphens, with capitols at the beginning of your sentences.

:thmsup:

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts

Yup. I started to read it and then gave up. It's gibberish.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts