Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
652 Posts
Hello,

I'm planning to leave the car unattended( uncovered driveway) for 3 weeks.

Temperature: above freezing throughout the day. Nights occassionally 30F.
Precipitation: Rain is almost always present, drizzle.
Wind: < 10mph, but can occasionally go higher.

Things i read and planned to do:
1. use gas stabilizer and have the gas tank full.
2. have the tires inflated at cold 33-34.
3. disconnect the battery terminals, but leave it in the car.
4. stuff the tail pipe with a cloth to prevent rodents.
5. cover it up with a cover. ( something from amazon, not decided yet. suggestions are appreciated. )
6. Asked a friend to drive it on the 2nd weekend.

Do you think it's sufficient for the 3 week period?
I love that you're the cautious type versus the other way around. Not caring at all. But I would probably only do some of those things it is was more like a 3 month period, but not 3 weeks.

· Registered
652 Posts
thanks @WiiMaster @dgates01 @DerekWildstar for your swift responses.
I asked my friend to drive it, but he couldn't promise as he might come up with plans to go out of town as well. Do you think i should still not do anything? No worries if it's not driven?
Nothing to really worry about for just 3 weeks. Are you off on a trip?

· Registered
652 Posts
Thank you. Heard from one guy that if we have to do jump start once then that implies that the battery deteriorated and it would need jump starts often. Is this true? Also, how much would a jump starter cost me? Just curious.
Car batteries are just that. Batteries. And your car acts as the charger when you're driving. If you let it sit for a while, it's not getting the charge from your car, so it will slowly lose its own power. If you come back after 3 weeks and it needs a jump, that's perfectly normal. You just need to drive the car around immediately following the jump to get the battery juiced up some more.

Jump starting the car a couple of times here and there won't really have adverse effects on it. The age of the battery matters more. That, and either extreme heat or extreme cold.

I have a portable jump starter I got from Costco for about 50 bucks. It works well. I used it a couple of times on my Accord this summer. Usually because it was hot and I'd have the car off but the fan on and I wasn't paying attention to the voltage.

I've had no battery issues because of the jumping. You just have to get out there and drive for at least 10 minutes after.

· Registered
652 Posts
Also is there a way to check the battery life in general? like how much of a life is left etc.
In addition to the jump starter charger that I have (on the left, and actually closer to $90-$100 these days), I have a USB plug adapter ($10) for the front power outlet that shows me the voltage at all times. It's a good way to keep track of the voltage in the battery and whether it's time to get another. Here in Bakersfield, where it gets really hot in the summer, the lifespan of a battery for me is about 3 years max.

Product Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Gadget

· Registered
652 Posts
that plug adapter is cool. Does the volts indicate battery life?

got a cool tool/toy at $3.5 today. just want to share in the forum.

That'll be a nice tool for you to have, and at a good price too.

The voltage indicator like the one I have gives you an up-to-date reading of the voltage. But that will give you a general idea how the battery's doing. If it's not averaging 14 volts when your car is running or 12.5V at rest, then you know there might be an issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts