Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

I have a 2010 V6 at 120k miles, auto transmission. Lately transmission has a whine that I can hear. My mechanic who I trust also said it is related to transmission. It doesn’t matter which gear it’s in, even in Park. It started as a low hum but now it’s a higher pitch. I did not think it was related to trans but it gets quieter after a transmission fluid replacement. The car shifts fine, absolutely no issues with shifting so far. I had been getting the transmission fluid replaced at every 30k, just did the last one a few weeks ago at 15k, and it’s still there, although quieter. This time we are doing 3x replace at every 100 miles. We did it twice already, the third will be tomorrow but the noise isn’t going away anymore. Please see below video, you can hear it better around 6 second mark. Can you let me know what this may be, how much more can I get out of this transmission and if it breaks how bad the damage be in terms of $??
Thanks. (FYI Timing belt done at 105K, serpentine belt and belt tensioner are new also. This issue started before the belts were replaced)

·
Registered
361 Posts
im at 160 i get a huge wine at startup and it goes away after the car warms up , read my recent posts for my previous problems (im no mechanic btw)

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Hello

I have a 2010 V6 at 120k miles, auto transmission. Lately transmission has a whine that I can hear. My mechanic who I trust also said it is related to transmission. It doesn’t matter which gear it’s in, even in Park. It started as a low hum but now it’s a higher pitch. I did not think it was related to trans but it gets quieter after a transmission fluid replacement. The car shifts fine, absolutely no issues with shifting so far. I had been getting the transmission fluid replaced at every 30k, just did the last one a few weeks ago at 15k, and it’s still there, although quieter. This time we are doing 3x replace at every 100 miles. We did it twice already, the third will be tomorrow but the noise isn’t going away anymore. Please see below video, you can hear it better around 6 second mark. Can you let me know what this may be, how much more can I get out of this transmission and if it breaks how bad the damage be in terms of $??
Thanks. (FYI Timing belt done at 105K, serpentine belt and belt tensioner are new also. This issue started before the belts were replaced)
What brand of fluid, DW-1 ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks yeah this whine also partially goes away after a few minutes. It's weird. I'll try to keep doing the 3x drain and fill from now on. Did you do it yourself? Is it easy?

KW2004 yes, the Honda DW-1 fluid.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
May be a dirty trans. filter causing a temp. restriction, it is listed as a non serviceable part. Have you always done 30K d/f's on the fluid, car owned since new ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We bought it used in 2014 from a Toyota dealership with 69k miles on it. It had full carfax report, with all maintenance done at a Honda dealership. I remember seeing one trans fluid replacement in its carfax report. Since we bought it, we have been doing the maintenance at a Honda/Acura only mechanic shop per the maintenance minder, including trans fluid replacement at 30k (although not d/f until this last time at 117k). If it is a dirty trans and if the filter is not replaceable, what would you suggest me do?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Hard to diagnose something over the net. I would talk to the mechanic directly @ the Honda / Acura shop you go to. Could even be the torque converter. When the dealership did the trans. fluid change (Carfax), it was most likely only 1 d/f which only replaced 44% of the fluid. 44,66,83,92% is what ea. d/f gives per change. Don't know if switching to a real syn. trans. fluid would help such as Amsoil. Keep doing the 3x3 changes, if dirty the trans. will clean up. Cheapest would be to ask if you could bring the fluid, they charge for labor only, or DIY.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hard to diagnose something over the net. I would talk to the mechanic directly @ the Honda / Acura shop you go to. Could even be the torque converter. When the dealership did the trans. fluid change (Carfax), it was most likely only 1 d/f which only replaced 44% of the fluid. 44,66,83,92% is what ea. d/f gives per change. Don't know if switching to a real syn. trans. fluid would help such as Amsoil. Keep doing the 3x3 changes, if dirty the trans. will clean up. Cheapest would be to ask if you could bring the fluid, they charge for labor only, or DIY.
Ok thank you.

As a separate question, what would be the symptoms if the torque converter has issues? How would it affect the transmission?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts