Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My front bumper is sagging and in need of a fix, but I don't want to buy a new bumper. The car has over 400,000 miles.

The pics make it look better than it is. After driving 20 miles to work the bumper starts to completely come off the car (the wind pushes the bottom of the bumper down and pulls it off the clips). I'm afraid it is going to start dragging on the pavement.

The bumper got damaged when the car was newer. There was a vertical piece of plastic under the front bumper that kept catching on the cement parking blocks.

After awhile it broke some of the clips and ripped the bumper off. Now the holes that the clips snap into under the headlights are ripping off (pics 2-4).

In my opinion this vertical piece was a poor mechanical design choice by Honda.

I have been able to snap the bumper back on for a couple years, but now to many of the clips are damaged. I need a better fix.

Because of the miles I would prefer not to buy a new bumper; I have stopped putting money into the car unless it is absolutely necessary. I am just driving her until she dies.

I think I will get 500,000 or 600,000 before I need an engine rebuild; I haven't had a transmission rebuild either. Two clutches, one alternator, one oil pump, two timing belts and two water pumps (both preventative maintenance), change the oil and tires. Bam! 400,000 miles.

Thank you for your help and suggestions!

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Sky Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Automotive tire Grey Rim Gas Tread

Tire Automotive tire Hood Wheel Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Bumper Grass Automotive exterior Gas

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Car Hood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
ziptie weaving: drill 2 holes large enough to put zip tie in and back out.

Engine section to top of bumper: see if there is clearance to drill a new hole to the left or right of the original fastening point. Then use new fasteners at the top.
For the insert tabs, i would try to reinforce the insert tabs with JB weld for plastic.

For the bumper clip @ wheel well there could be 2 options:
  1. drill a new hole (above or below current screw) into the bumper clip and put a new screw in.
  2. Repair broken hole with placing small mending metal plate (with hole aligned for original screw) that can be screwed or zip tied to the main bumper edge. You may need to create a custom plate by just creating something.
For the rest of the wheel well siding, zip tie weaving
For the bottom section (similar to wheel well), drill a hole large enough for zip tie and use a longer zip tie or use 2 zip ties to obtain proper length.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If the fenderwell or the panel on the bottom of the front end are broken out, you could probably build them up with ABS plastic sheet and black PVC cement like plumbers use. I got some 1/16" Black ABS sheet from the big jungle website to fix the old plastic grille on my Scout and it worked great.

There is some info on you toob on repairing bumper covers.

·
Registered
161 Posts
400 Thousand Miles, Would love to see Some Photos Of your Car and how its held up.

Its Probably best to just Not hit the Parking Cement, But Holes and Zipties Probably

·
Polished Metal Metallica
1,355 Posts
I think I will get 500,000 or 600,000 before I need an engine rebuild; I haven't had a transmission rebuild either. Two clutches, one alternator, one oil pump, two timing belts and two water pumps (both preventative maintenance), change the oil and tires. Bam! 400,000 miles.

Thank you for your help and suggestions!

View attachment 542712

View attachment 542713

View attachment 542714

View attachment 542715

View attachment 542716

View attachment 542717

View attachment 542718

View attachment 542720

View attachment 542721
Good God, man. You need a thread with detail (and more pics) on how you got your Accord to 400k…

Reactions: TX Accord
1 - 9 of 9 Posts