Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm pretty sure I want a Deck Lid spoiler for my new sedan. I've seen the video at College Hills Honda about how to do it and, truthfully, it doesn't look that hard. But I'm not too crazy about drilling holes in my trunk since I've never done it before.

I'll get to the point. Has anyone ever done a deck lid install and was it that hard to do? I called the dealer where I got my car and they quoted me around $500 for parts and labor (bear in mind that would also include the cost of the spoiler itself). But I'm really not feeling that great about paying as much for labor as I am for the spoiler itself.

Any success/disaster stories out there?

·
Registered
97 Posts
It was easy for me, but then again I am a dentist by profession so my hand skills are pretty decent. Just have to have a steady hand with the drill.

So I'm pretty sure I want a Deck Lid spoiler for my new sedan. I've seen the video at College Hills Honda about how to do it and, truthfully, it doesn't look that hard. But I'm not too crazy about drilling holes in my trunk since I've never done it before.

I'll get to the point. Has anyone ever done a deck lid install and was it that hard to do? I called the dealer where I got my car and they quoted me around $500 for parts and labor (bear in mind that would also include the cost of the spoiler itself). But I'm really not feeling that great about paying as much for labor as I am for the spoiler itself.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think He's talkin about the 2011 decklid diy instruction not 2010
I was. But some people just have to be a smartass, so...whatever.

The instructions for the 2011 look noticeably different than the 2008-2010 and I'm inclined to just use the center part with the adhesive tape and avoid the hold drilling all together. I'll check out the Honda dealer this weekend and see if there are any deck lids on display.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts

Did mine.... I took my time though.. Better part of a day to do it. Did a couple rounds of cleaning with 3M adhesive/Wax/Tar remover followed by rubbing alcohol, followed by a good rinsing with water. Let it dry.

When doing the templates remember to make sure the fold lines match up and are even on both sides. Mine liked to not match up straight. Once those are on, check and then double check for straightness. For bits I went out and bought Freud 3mm and 4mm with tips. This made drilling through the trunk a breeze! There were no burs, nothing. I will warn you this, the instructions call for you to mask off 10mm up on the bit to prevent drilling through the trunk supports.... I say make it 4-5mm up, 10 will get you right at the point that a tiny slip could cause you to drill right on through.

Once you get the holes drilled make sure you prime, wait, prime, wait then come back over with something else... like a good touch-up paint. Then comes the hardest part. I will tell ya, those rivets did not want to break. I even had my father-in-law out there to crank on those bad boys, but they finally seated and popped. The rest is all cake. Any other questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, that sounds way too involved for me. I don’t really have the confidence in myself to drill through the trunk of my 10 day old car. I’d rather pay the Honda dealer to do it. This way if they mess up, they’re liable and not me. Thanks for the tips though.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I was. But some people just have to be a smartass, so...whatever.

The instructions for the 2011 look noticeably different than the 2008-2010 and I'm inclined to just use the center part with the adhesive tape and avoid the hold drilling all together. I'll check out the Honda dealer this weekend and see if there are any deck lids on display.
It's the same process on 08-10 and 11 above....you just need to drill holes, prime it, align it and mounted one with double sided tape, bolt it on with common sense and common hand skills. Many have done that.

The difference are the shape of the spoilers and mounting locations.

dumbass calling people smartass....whatever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts