Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I brought my car to the dealer today for some fresh oil, I asked to make sure my vehicle wasn't subject to any recalls or bulletins. Sure enough, my car is subject to the Engine Misfire suit that is going on.

http://www.topclassactions.com/laws...-honda-accord-oil-defect-class-action-lawsuit

I have 18k on the odometer, and it has been trouble free, BUT it's like the doctor telling you that you are sick but just don't have any symptoms yet. Yes, apparently some 2011 V6 Accords also suffer from the dreaded fried spark plugs, engine misfires, and oil consumption/ engine self destruction. My VIN qualifies for the class suit per the dealer.

So, the dealer said they do nothing now, BUT, should my engine decide to misfire at some point, it's covered by an 8 year warranty with no mileage restrictions
Should this make me feel better? :dunno:

They also said I have to use synthetic oil so that if a claim should manifest, I would be fully covered......ugh

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
do not listen to that bonehead regarding oil - you can use conventional oil. the manual does not state synthetic is required and whatever ANYONE else says doesn't matter. Honda will back the manual.

yes, you have a car that *can* be affected by piston ring issues. but these issues may not creep up because your driving style doesn't allow it to, such as short trips, heavy acceleration on a cold engine, driving in a manner that causes vcm to cycle rapidly...

an 8 year warranty on it is pretty generous on Hondas part to be honest. and I can't wait for it to expire because they are paying us BS money to replace piston rings on cylinders 1-2-3. 6.20 hours - ridiculous...

·
2012 Coupe V6 with Navi
193 Posts
where can you find out if your car is being recalled...I went to the owner's link site and type in my Vin number but not showing any recall..My car is 2012 V6 coupe...I checked my oil every week but it always on top of the level and I have 30% before the changes...I already went to 3 oil changed and oil level always on the max..never add any oil between oil change...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd like to know where to check which VINs are affected since I didn't see anything on owner link. My 2011 V6 had a cylinder misfire a few weeks ago and two bad spark plugs were replaced under warranty. I'm at ~25k miles and had to add oil between oil changes, which I do when the maintenance minder gets to 10%.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
You're supposed to be using 0W-20 as called for in the manual starting with 2011 year model, and I don't believe there's a non-synthetic version of that. (I think there is a half-synthetic version, but I wouldn't use that).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just don't like driving a car with a known engine issue. Whether it ever misfires or not, there is a known issue. I drive mainly highway to work, so that 3 cylinder will be taxed. Don't have time for a breakdown, much less one that seems bound to happen at some point. Oh well.....that TDI 6 speed passat sure looks good right now

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd like to know where to check which VINs are affected since I didn't see anything on owner link. My 2011 V6 had a cylinder misfire a few weeks ago and two bad spark plugs were replaced under warranty. I'm at ~25k miles and had to add oil between oil changes, which I do when the maintenance minder gets to 10%.
Your dealer can run your VIN. Mine did and he showed me Engine Misfire on the printout. Nice!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
692 Posts
I know my car has had this problem a few time. I have had to change my spark plugs 2 times due to this. I need to check mine out. I have an 08 also.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Camrykiller, the only people who really benefit from class action lawsuits are the members of the firms that start these things. They make a ton. In your situation, the extended engine warranty is a real potential benefit, but -- as you said -- who wants to be a potential beneficiary of a class action lawsuit under any circumstances?

However, there is a lot you can do for yourself to avoid the problems you mentioned: namely, buy well-established high detergent gasoline and top-quality motor oils. The combination of the two will mitigate, or even eliminate entirely, the buildup of the contaminates that foul spark plugs and build up on piston rings (actually, the piston-ring lands) over time.

WRT to the Passat you mentioned, aside from the truly miserable resale value of Volkswagens generally, you need to spend some time on the V-dub boards to get a sense of Volkswagen's cronic quality control problems.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Camrykiller, the only people who really benefit from class action lawsuits are the members of the firms that start these things. They make a ton. In your situation, the extended engine warranty is a real potential benefit, but -- as you said -- who wants to be a potential beneficiary of a class action lawsuit under any circumstances?

However, there is a lot you can do for yourself to avoid the problems you mentioned: namely, buy well-established high detergent gasoline and top-quality motor oils. The combination of the two will mitigate, or even eliminate entirely, the buildup of the contaminates that foul spark plugs and build up on piston rings (actually, the piston-ring lands) over time.

WRT to the Passat you mentioned, aside from the truly miserable resale value of Volkswagens generally, you need to spend some time on the V-dub boards to get a sense of Volkswagen's cronic quality control problems.
Thanks....I'm just going to use the synthetic oil from here on in, and not let this bother me. I typically use 87 gas from brand name gas stations. Like I said, I've had zero issues with this car. Average 400 miles on a tank with my mostly highway commute. Just a concerned consumer:yes:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Wow! Thanks for posting this. But a dumb question, how do you guys know for sure if the engine has misfired while driving? Will it feel like sudden sluggishness, power cutoff or what? This sounds simply unbelievable for a Honda. especially having bought this car used, I'm concerned.

Also, when should we check / replace the spark plugs given this potential issue with the car? I've heard it's usually changed at 100k. What about now? 50k? Will this be covered if you have extended warranty with Honda?

·
Banned
395 Posts
Wow! Thanks for posting this. But a dumb question, how do you guys know for sure if the engine has misfired while driving? Will it feel like sudden sluggishness, power cutoff or what? This sounds simply unbelievable for a Honda. especially having bought this car used, I'm concerned.

Also, when should we check / replace the spark plugs given this potential issue with the car? I've heard it's usually changed at 100k. What about now? 50k? Will this be covered if you have extended warranty with Honda?
I am at 140k and still using the original spark plugs and no engine codes regarding engine misfires. I always use quality semi-synthetic because it just doesn't get cold enough nor do I run extended OCIs. Seeing some drop in FE but the car is pulling strong and still on virgin timing belt too. yes, virgin TB @ 140k folks. pretty remarkable stuff.

·
Honda Nation
1,679 Posts
I am at 140k and still using the original spark plugs and no engine codes regarding engine misfires. I always use quality semi-synthetic because it just doesn't get cold enough nor do I run extended OCIs. Seeing some drop in FE but the car is pulling strong and still on virgin timing belt too. yes, virgin TB @ 140k folks. pretty remarkable stuff.

You are living on borrowed time my friend. You do understand there is no "warning" for your timing belt to fail, right? You have an interference engine. When the belt snaps the valves crash into the pistons. Your heads will be ruined. You should change your timing belt as soon as possible.

Don't be proud to have 140k on your timing belt. You are lucky. Change the belt before it snaps, and I like I said, you will have zero warning. If you're in the middle of the freeway people around you won't like the fact you've suddenly decelerated. And you won't like the fact you now have to call a tow truck.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My cylinder 2 misfire made the whole car shake, even while idle at a stop light. At first I thought maybe I had broken the engine mounts but I didn't do anything out of the ordinary and the car is only a couple years old. While driving, it felt like it does when the transmission switches back and forth between gears when going up an incline.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You are living on borrowed time my friend. You do understand there is no "warning" for your timing belt to fail, right? You have an interference engine. When the belt snaps the valves crash into the pistons. Your heads will be ruined. You should change your timing belt as soon as possible.

Don't be proud to have 140k on your timing belt. You are lucky. Change the belt before it snaps, and I like I said, you will have zero warning. If you're in the middle of the freeway people around you won't like the fact you've suddenly decelerated. And you won't like the fact you now have to call a tow truck.
Very true. Lost my 92 accord because of this with over 400k on the engine. Would have gone much longer but busy schedule prevented me from forgetting to change the timing belt.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I broke a timing belt in a 1989 Camry being a little bit over the recommended interval. Not fun. Died in the middle of an intersection. Luckily with that engine, no damage was done. I would get it changed if you plan on keeping the car

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
My cylinder 2 misfire made the whole car shake, even while idle at a stop light. At first I thought maybe I had broken the engine mounts but I didn't do anything out of the ordinary and the car is only a couple years old. While driving, it felt like it does when the transmission switches back and forth between gears when going up an incline.
Thanks for the description. In that case, I think I definitely have experienced similar problems while driving. I had a rough shake once while I was trying to park once. It hasn't happened often but that one incident made me think I needed to change the transmission fluid hm... I've definitely experienced the weird shifting while going up an incline too.

Have you brought your car in for diagnosis? If so, what did they say?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the description. In that case, I think I definitely have experienced similar problems while driving. I had a rough shake once while I was trying to park once. It hasn't happened often but that one incident made me think I needed to change the transmission fluid hm... I've definitely experienced the weird shifting while going up an incline too.

Have you brought your car in for diagnosis? If so, what did they say?
It sounds like you may have the same problem - did your check engine light turn on? Mine did as soon as the shaking started.

I brought my car to the dealer the next day and they determined it to be a bad spark plug in cylinder #2. They inspected the other plugs and replaced the one in cylinder #1 also. All of it was covered by the warranty. After that the car drives like it normally does.

One thing that helped was that my friend had a bluetooth OBD2 reader that we used to read the check engine code as a cylinder 2 misfire. I came here to search for the code and found others with the same problem. If you can read the code back, you can read up on it and at least have an idea of what to expect before you bring the car in.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts