Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, new to this forum.

I bought an '11 Accord LX recently and am somewhat underwhelmed by the stock audio system. I play most of my music from MP3's from my phone which as you might well imaging provides sub par frequency response especially on the low end. Highs are fine for now and I don't really want to change out the stock HU for various reasons. I was thinking of adding a powered sub in the trunk and am looking at the Rockford Fosgate P300-10.

It does have the built in LOC and I would be splicing the speakers from the rear deck into the amp of the Sub.

Rockford Fosgate Punch P300-10 Single 10" subwoofer enclosure with 300-watt amp at Crutchfield.com

They also make a similar 12" unit. It has good reviews and I am really only interested in boosting the bass somewhat. I know the stock subs on these Honda's are mounted on the rear deck which of course would make it audible in the cabin.

My questions
1. Would the sound of this come though from the trunk into the cabin?
2. Is there a pre-made harness or similar that would allow me to easily splice the leads from the stock speakers?
3. Can I run power lead from the built in amp into the fuse box or does it required connection to battery? The amp is rated at 300w.

Thanks in advance.

·
226 Posts
1. yes thats what subs do!
2. t-taps should work fine
3. imo i would rather have a power wire going from the battery terminal to the trunk. i dont like tapping into the fuse box. i may blow something in there

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

On question #1, I know that's what subs are for. The reason I ask is because i read this thread and specifically this post
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/3826593-post6.html

This guy was not getting enough sound into the cabin from a custom built sub. Could it be the direction he was pointing it? I just wanted to get other people's input on the effectiveness of placing a sub woofer into a sealed trunk with no speaker opening for it into the cabin...

·
PIMP MY RIDE PLZ
192 Posts
I have a RF P300-12 inch in my car. Here's a pic of my trunk. - PIC

It's relatively small so I get to keep most of my storage space which was really important for me, and also why I didn't position the sub out a little bit more towards the rear. Bass is good, but I had to play around with my EQ to get it perfect. I'm not sure if you are able to do this with the OEM stereo. The bass won't shake your car or turn heads so if you're looking for something like that, I'd suggest a dual sub and external amp.

This video might help you with positioning but it will all depend on your own personal preference based on how you think the music sounds and where. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMetlSwW80I

FYI - If you do choose to get this, buy it from Amazon instead. Same product and cheaper by over $100, and free 2-day shipping for Prime members.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@tekn1qu3z Thanks. It looks like you have the same year and similar car as I do. Yes, I did know about Amazon and they have the 10" currently for $166, 12" is $181. I see that you pointed towards the back of the car. Would it sound different if pointed towards the front? I don't know if it matters? Stock radio only has bass, treble controls and there is no EQ BUT there is one on my phone which I use for playing most of music. I did try out the CD/MP3 player and there is no problem with bass to be honest. Sounds just fine.

I am not interested in ground shaking bass, just good sound INSIDE of the car.

The powered sub comes with a gain control...
Did you run it into the interior of the car or leave it in the trunk?

I'm wondering if there is a big difference between the 12" and the 10"?

·
PIMP MY RIDE PLZ
192 Posts
@gguerra :

I haven't tested how it sounds with the sub in different positions. It's currently bolted in and I am satisfied with the sound right now where it is.

The bass control is in the interior of the car in the little empty space next to the VSA button. Don't leave it in the trunk, you're going to want to adjust it for different songs and genres.

I don't really know how phone EQ works, but I also had to adjust crossover settings and play with the frequencies to get the right sound for all the speakers. When I didn't do this, the bass still sounded OK but was dirty in the sense that it wasn't as clear, especially at high volumes. But after tuning, it sounds pretty good. :)

I initially bought the 10" but canceled before it was shipped and bought the 12" instead. Figured for $15 more, it was worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts