Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have about 600 miles on it.

Shifting from P to D, take foot off brake, car accelerates to 20mph on its own (did not touch accelerator), revs to 1500RPM, and basically drives on its own, have to brake harder or ride the brake to maintain slow speed. Feels like car won't deccelerate or engine brake/downshift when I let off accelerator at higher speeds.

Shifts a lot between 20mph and 30mph hunting for right gear to be in.

RPM at Park is about 1000. Too high?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Have about 600 miles on it.

Shifting from P to D, take foot off brake, car accelerates to 20mph on its own (did not touch accelerator), revs to 1500RPM, and basically drives on its own, have to brake harder or ride the brake to maintain slow speed. Feels like car won't deccelerate or engine brake/downshift when I let off accelerator at higher speeds.

Shifts a lot between 20mph and 30mph hunting for right gear to be in.

RPM at Park is about 1000. Too high?
Does your car show this behavior after it has been warmed up?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes!

I drive up and down a mountain to work. The car doesn't downshift when letting off the gas going down the mtn. I put it in D3 then I put it in D2 and it goes down the hill in the same speed, and it should go slower in d2 but car doesn't downshift.

On flat road at warm engine, in park rpm are little bit under 1000, then shift to drive, car starts to accelerate without me touching gas pedal, then rpms went up to a little bit under 1500. So speed of car went up to 20 to 25mph, then I braked to bring speed down and again speed started to increase when taking foot off brake, not touching gas pedal at all.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Have it towed into the dealer immediately. You should have stopped driving it when it happened the first time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Floor mats are fine and secure.

I'm making appt. to take it in hopefully they reduce the rpm and this fixes the problem.

Any TSB's on this kind of issue?

·
Registered
533 Posts
damn sounds like they toyota problem...

·
Registered
2011 Honda Accord Coupe - V6, 6-speed
72 Posts
damn sounds like they toyota problem...
No it doesn't. Toyotas had sticking gas pedals which caused them to go uncontrollably faster.

You have a high idle problem which is most likely caused by a sensor and/or an ECU problem. I'd getting into the dealer sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No it doesn't. Toyotas had sticking gas pedals which caused them to go uncontrollably faster.

You have a high idle problem which is most likely caused by a sensor and/or an ECU problem. I'd getting into the dealer sooner rather than later.
Thanks. Dealer will be seeing me soon, hopefully they can just turn down the idle and reduce RPM's.

:thmsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:
Service tech drove the vehicle and insisted nothing was wrong:furious: and it was normal for the car to go along for miles and miles at 20-25mph without stepping on the gas. Service tech made some stupid statements about why the car did this. I freaked out.

Actual mechanic hooked up the computer to the car, said the base idle had never been set and had to be learned/relearned. Now, car runs normal.:thumbsup:

·
Motor City
707 Posts
Update:
Service tech drove the vehicle and insisted nothing was wrong:furious: and it was normal for the car to go along for miles and miles at 20-25mph without stepping on the gas. Service tech made some stupid statements about why the car did this. I freaked out.

Actual mechanic hooked up the computer to the car, said the base idle had never been set and had to be learned/relearned. Now, car runs normal.:thumbsup:
Glad to hear.. I bet that service tech feels stupid now :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts