Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, proud owner of a new 2011 EX-L V6 sedan. I’ve tried to get my iPhone to play wirelessly (via Bluetooth) but am unable to get this to work. My wife just got a Nissan Altima with the technology package and it works fine on her car (granted, it’s a different company all together). I’ve got an iPhone 4, so I doubt it’s a technology issue.

If the wireless option isn’t feasible, I tried hooking it up via USB. The cable was “Dynex” as opposed to the OEM one that came with my iPhone, but I can’t get it to play anything from my phone to my stereo.

I’m sure it’s something I’m doing wrong and, admittedly, I haven’t really spent a whole lot of time trying to make it work. But figured I’d see if there was something I was doing wrong before I get myself too frustrated.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

ETA: I do know the bluetooth is functioning just fine, as I am able to use the Handsfree link, etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
The Accord does not offer streaming BT. The stereo has to have the functionality built in.

As for the connection, I'm assuming you plugged the iPhone's OEM USB cable from the phone to the dash mounted USB connection? If it's like any other car it should pick it up like an AUX input. Is there stereo mode set correctly?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
1) Our bluetooth feature does not have A2DP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile which is within the Nissan tech pkg (and comes on Lexus, etc etc). So using bluetooth to stream music from any BT device is not an option. Boo Honda, that would have got me into a Navi model had it been implemented.

2) Probably the Dynex cable, as you thought. The cheapy cables work for charging and transferring (usually), but I think there is a couple of extra lines fed in the cable of the oem apple cables...probably what's necessary for it to pick up your iDevice. A little odd though, as the USB interface in my friends new TSX picks up his Corwin mp3 player/music catalog.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The Accord does not offer streaming BT. The stereo has to have the functionality built in.

As for the connection, I'm assuming you plugged the iPhone's OEM USB cable from the phone to the dash mounted USB connection? If it's like any other car it should pick it up like an AUX input. Is there stereo mode set correctly?
If I am not mistaken, the new '11 Accords have the USB connection located inside the armrest where the 08-10 Accords had the auxiliary input. Not that it pertains to this question though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, so no bluetooth streaming? Ok, I can live with that and just do everything via USB. I'm sure it is the USB cable though, as I've had problems with the off brands. When I get home, I'll swap it out for my OEM USB cable and see if that does the trick.

Thanks guys (or gals...though I'm assuming guys).:thmsup:

·
Boosted Sedan
1,823 Posts
2nd Gen Ipod touch works fine in our new '11 coupe, used the supplied inside center bin oem usb and apple usb and now the song names pop up on the non-navi screen! :thmsup:

·
24th Gear
1,619 Posts
Weird Story, My parents just traded their Honda's for Kia's (Traitors...I know, Dad's Accord for a Sorrento, Mom's Odyssey for a Forte). Well recently my dad got a new phone and found out he can put all his music on it. He thinks he's so cool, lol. Well I was pronounced the greatest son EVER! When I showed him how to stream the music on his phone into the speakers in the car thru bluetooth. Weird part is, both the Sorrento and the Forte are brand new, both have bluetooth, but only the sorrento will stream music thru bluetooth. Anyone else think this is weird? And even weirder, if a KIA can do it? Then why the hell not a Honda? Come on!

·
Registered
311 Posts
The reason bluetooth streaming audio was left out of the Accord is because Honda is trying to reserve what features they can for the TSX. This is why USB audio was missing in the 08-10 models, but for the 2011 model year, they couldn't get away with it any longer (since just about every other car in the Accord's class, and below, has the option).

Unfortunately what goes in to the Accord depends on what goes in to the TSX. As the TSX gains tech, more features will be "allowed" in the Accord (multi-information display? I hope some day since the Fit already has it).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, well the cord was the problem. Replaced the Dynex USB cable with that of the OEM one that came with my iPhone and, wouldn't you know it, it just popped up and works like a charm.

I didn't play with it for too long, but was wondering if this will play playlists?

Again, my wife's Altima displays the cover art while plugged in via USB and I don't think the Accord does. But I still LOVE the car!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Ok, well the cord was the problem. Replaced the Dynex USB cable with that of the OEM one that came with my iPhone and, wouldn't you know it, it just popped up and works like a charm.

I didn't play with it for too long, but was wondering if this will play playlists?

Again, my wife's Altima displays the cover art while plugged in via USB and I don't think the Accord does. But I still LOVE the car!
I would hope it does, did you select the "TEXT" button on the dash (I think that is what it is called).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would think so too, but to be honest I’m really not that impressed with the graphics/user interface on the navigation system. Granted, so long as it works I guess that’s all that matters but if there’s a way to display stuff like cover art from an iPod/iPhone I haven’t found it. I tried hitting the “Title” button which usually brings up text and it didn’t seem to work.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I would think so too, but to be honest I’m really not that impressed with the graphics/user interface on the navigation system. Granted, so long as it works I guess that’s all that matters but if there’s a way to display stuff like cover art from an iPod/iPhone I haven’t found it. I tried hitting the “Title” button which usually brings up text and it didn’t seem to work.
Oh thats what it was "Title". lol ****s that it hasn't worked to display any type of description of the songs. Wondering why it would do that.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sadly, Honda does many things well, but being on the cutting edge of Tech, they have never been.

My Dad just got a 2011 Ford Edge, the graphics on the nav system on that thing blow ours out of the water, no comparison whatsoever.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bump!

Anyways.. would anyone know if music would still stream through android phone connected via USB? Just so I can change my music with the steering wheel controls so I'm not distracted ?

·
Registered
808 Posts
The Honda manual only lists iPods and USB memory devices. Can the Android look like a flash drive?

The recommended USB flash
memory devices are 256 MB or
higher, and formatted with the FAT
file system. Some digital audio
players may be compatible as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I couldn't get my LG G3 to stream through the USB. I'm sure if you were more tech savy than myself you could find a way. But for now I have 2 cords, one for AUX and one for charging.

Honda REALLY dropped the ball on the entertainment / nav system. But are way behind in the times even for a 2012.

·
Registered
154 Posts
yeah, No wireless streaming music ): i was very upset when i found this out also. I bought my car thinking "Bluetooth Connectivity" meant music too, but unfortunately it only means with phones calls. Very disappointed and mines a 2012. The worst part of it all is that it says theres bluetooth connectivity when your in the car but it won't play.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, proud owner of a new 2011 EX-L V6 sedan. I’ve tried to get my iPhone to play wirelessly (via Bluetooth) but am unable to get this to work. My wife just got a Nissan Altima with the technology package and it works fine on her car (granted, it’s a different company all together). I’ve got an iPhone 4, so I doubt it’s a technology issue.

If the wireless option isn’t feasible, I tried hooking it up via USB. The cable was “Dynex” as opposed to the OEM one that came with my iPhone, but I can’t get it to play anything from my phone to my stereo.

I’m sure it’s something I’m doing wrong and, admittedly, I haven’t really spent a whole lot of time trying to make it work. But figured I’d see if there was something I was doing wrong before I get myself too frustrated.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

ETA: I do know the bluetooth is functioning just fine, as I am able to use the Handsfree link, etc.
So the Bluetooth cant play songs but you can definitely play songs via USB. In your case, I assume your phone does not have any songs downloaded and you play songs online. For the car to recognize your phone as a media device you’ll have to download at least one song on your phone. After you have done that you can play songs via USB cable.
hope that helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts