Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Turbo lag
1,658 Posts
Depending on your definition of easy. Probably a 2 hour job with the right tool? You can probably only remove the front heads and draw conclusion for the condition of both heads.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ok I'll look into that. I love the car but it all seems too much for me to handle. What would be a fair price to sell it for as is?

·
Turbo lag
1,658 Posts
The J35Z3 heads seem to be very hard to come by, if you do need new heads you might want to look at J35Z5 and J35Z6 heads. Those are the only other J35Z without VCM.

·
Turbo lag
1,658 Posts
Ok I'll look into that. I love the car but it all seems too much for me to handle. What would be a fair price to sell it for as is?
KBB prices your car at around $6K in good condition, so maybe $3K would be fair? Then you have to find someone who's actually willing to buy what's basically a rolling chassis. I'm tempted, but so many people would get so mad if I get another project car 😅 (and I already have a coupe that I don't drive).

Will they bolt up with no issues?
Hard to say, but they are fairly cheap and easy to come by, so it's worth a shot. But you'd more than likely need to swap the cams over too.

Again, tear down the heads, see what's damaged. I'd try to fix it, especially since you like the car a lot. It really can't hurt at this point.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yeah nada says 6k for a clean trade in and 8500 clean retail. Kbb says 5000 to 7500. Its in good condition other than the motor, I think it is an ex-l without nav, 6 speed, red with tan leather.

·
Turbo lag
1,658 Posts
If you have a second car and have time to work on it, I'd try to slowly fix it. I can see this taking only about $1000 in parts if you fix it yourself. Really shouldn't affect the value of the car even if you tear it down right now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
lol my second car is a 2010 accord coupe v6 auto that my son drives now that a deer totaled his car. I need to find someone willing to do it cause i think its too much for me. I had hell getting the top three screws so i could peel back the cover enough to see that the belt was broke.

·
Turbo lag
1,658 Posts
You best bet is probably finding a good local shop that's familiar with Honda to assess the damage.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
340 Posts
I'd be surprised if there was damage to the pistons. Usually when something like this happens it's just the valves.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
I would see if you can turn the crankshaft slowly and see if there is any resistance as you turn. It. Do not force it. Most likely you bent a few valves. I suspect the pistons are just fine. I would order a new timing belt and line the engine and camshafts back up and then test compression to see where you are.

Rebuilding the heads and a new timing belt will be your cheapest route as long as you do most of the work yourself.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's harder, and probably a lot more work to remove the heads than the engine. There are usually good low mileage J35 ect on Ebay from reputable salvage yards for less the a grand with a warranty. I'd probably take the engine out and then take the heads off rather than taking them off in the car. For me, after years of working on my J series, including busted TBs, removing heads in the engine bay is for foolishness left for teenagers. Forgive me for hurting your feelings. This is my opinion only, it is shared with the professionals in my circle. Ask around.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
It's harder, and probably a lot more work to remove the heads than the engine. There are usually good low mileage J35 ect on Ebay from reputable salvage yards for less the a grand with a warranty. I'd probably take the engine out and then take the heads off rather than taking them off in the car. For me, after years of working on my J series, including busted TBs, removing heads in the engine bay is for foolishness left for teenagers. Forgive me for hurting your feelings. This is my opinion only, it is shared with the professionals in my circle. Ask around.
It is easier if you have a lift and all the tools and knowledge on how to replace an engine. If you are working on the ground on a driveway or a garage and only have hand tools, you can remove the heads yourself. You can not remove the engine yourself in that situation.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
VCM DELETE
889 Posts
Not that it matters, but the guy who sold you the car was probably full of *ish that he did the T-Belt. Honda is very lenient with there T-Belt intervals.
Maybe it was done at like 100k, then never again?
OR
Was that was the original belt on there??

Was there a sticker anywhere on the motor or inside hood stating a T-Belt was done?
mine was done at dealer and they put a sticker with date and mileage...they do this so when car passes from owner to owner you know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hey thanks guys for the info! I ordered the aisin timing belt kit but I am worried there is internal damage too. I was going 80-85. So if I turn the crank and it rotates I'm good internally?
Any special tools needed? It looks cramped in there. The cheapest I saw was $2250 for a used J35Z3 motor.

·
Turbo lag
1,658 Posts
Hey thanks guys for the info! I ordered the aisin timing belt kit but I am worried there is internal damage too. I was going 80-85. So if I turn the crank and it rotates I'm good internally?
Any special tools needed? It looks cramped in there. The cheapest I saw was $2250 for a used J35Z3 motor.
Not necessarily. These are interference engines, if the timing belt breaks, something is bound to have impacted another part.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Not that it matters, but the guy who sold you the car was probably full of *ish that he did the T-Belt. Honda is very lenient with there T-Belt intervals.
Maybe it was done at like 100k, then never again?
OR
Was that was the original belt on there??

Was there a sticker anywhere on the motor or inside hood stating a T-Belt was done?
mine was done at dealer and they put a sticker with date and mileage...they do this so when car passes from owner to owner you know.

Yeah he said he had it changed at 193k and it snapped at 272k. I bought it with 268k. Didnt notice a sticker but I'll look again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Not necessarily. These are interference engines, if the timing belt breaks, something is bound to have impacted another part.
Yeah thats what I'm hearing so my initial thought was to just buy a used motor. I found a 48k mile motor for like $2500 but idk?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I have to get a J35Z3 motor with the 6-speed right? If so they are hard to find and the are pricey. I'd like to up the power with a different motor but I dont know what will bolt up

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
340 Posts
Getting the same motor would be ideal. If it snapped at idle speeds there may have been some chance that the engine would still run with a new belt, but at highway speeds, not a chance.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts