Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
In general the valves bend, the pistons may get a little dent. It really does not matter what RPM the engine was going, the damage is done in the first revolution of the crankshaft after the belt breaks.

If this were my car, I would take off both heads examine the bores on all cylinders. If there is scoring on any cylinder's the engine needs to come out. If the only issue is a broken timing belt and a few bent valves I would fix it. If nothing else it is easier to sell a running car than a non running car.

If you do all the labor, and a machine shop refurbs the heads, that is your cheapest solution. If you have to pay a mechanic to do this, it is most likely cheaper to replace the engine.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Your engine is a J35Z3, it is 268hp and 254 ftlbs of torque. In that family the J35Z6 from the Acura TSX and TL is higher compression and more hp at 280.

If you were looking for an upgrade that would work.

The only other option is the 3.7 family of engines. The J37A4 should work at 305hp.

Both engines used are pricey, and there would be some modifications needed to make them work in the Accord.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Getting the same motor would be ideal. If it snapped at idle speeds there may have been some chance that the engine would still run with a new belt, but at highway speeds, not a chance.
If this is true then I should just replace the motor or would rebuilding it be cheaper?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I dont want to do a whole lot of modifications for 12 hp. I think I am leaning towards replacing the whole motor. Once I have the old one out then I'll have more access to rebuild it.
Is it hard to swap engines and what would be a fair price to have it installed. I am seeing engines with warranties so I assume I'd have to get it professionally installed for it to be valid.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Your engine is a J35Z3, it is 268hp and 254 ftlbs of torque. In that family the J35Z6 from the Acura TSX and TL is higher compression and more hp at 280.

His is a 8.5 gen gen. I believe it's 271 horsepower.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
340 Posts
If this is true then I should just replace the motor or would rebuilding it be cheaper?
Like @greg1c mentioned, it depends on if you're doing the work yourself or having a shop do it. If a shop, replace the engine, if you're doing it, get the heads off, have them machined, put them back.

I have yet to see a broken timing belt cause piston damage. Generally the pistons are fine. Just the valves that get bent.

Whichever way you go, the Aisin timing belt kit is a wise investment. If you repair the current engine, you'll need a new timing belt anyway, and if you put in a new engine, it's easy enough to replace all that with the engine out that it's worth doing it then.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts