Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, I noticed that the driver's side lower paneling that encases the area from the console to next to the gas pedal has popped out. Can't seem to figure out a way to get it to pop back in and stay in. The best I can do is get it in the position it is in in these pictures. (Passenger side is shown for comparison) Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Just here for the food
1,665 Posts
Hit it. Hard. Lol.
No, really. If not with your hand, try with a rubber mallet or something similar. It’s hard to tell if the clips are broken from those picture, but if they are (and you’d have to look yourself), then you’re better off replacing that whole panel.

When’d you notice it was popped out? What happened to it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
As far as I know, nothing. Just happened to pop out for some reason I guess. How would I be able to tell if the clips are broken? Are the clips metal or plastic? I see a bottom clip that is metal and that is working fine, but on the top of it I'm not sure what if any clips are there.

Some more pictures to show the inside of the panel. Not sure what part is a clip. (I assume the metal part on the lower portion of the inside?)

Attachments

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
You're not going to be able to easily fix this. I've had the console apart so I can tell you that this is one of those "weird" panels that is an overlapping fit. Effectively what you need to do is pull that panel up towards the sky to "hook" it back in. It's possible those hooks have broken or stretched.

The problem is that you can't pull this panel up without popping off the trim on the top of the console (that goes around the cup holders and has the seat heater buttons on it) and undoing the screw that holds this trim piece down to the console. It's relatively easy to pop the top of the console off, but you need a wide trim pry tool, and it's possible you'll break those clips getting them off (stuff gets old and brittle). I can attempt walking you through this if you'd like. One of those things where I could resolve this in 5 minutes if it was my garage.

·
4,057 Posts
If you could walk me through this process, that'd be greatly appreciated!
To pop off the top part of the console you need

Use the second from the right tool in the picture. Wide and flat crowbar. Start by prying up the vertical black plastic piece that is underneath the latch for the armrest. It is attached via screws to the topsheet of the console that has the cupholders also attached to it. There's something like 3 clips holding that down. Then work your way to the front prying as you go. There's maybe 2 more clips on each side holding the top part of the console down, and another 2 in the front. Don't pull on the top sheet itself since you can break it...use the pry tool. In order to lift up the front part of the top sheet, just grab on to the two little doors in front of the seat heater buttons and pull up on those. You might need to pull hard but I've not had them break on me. At this point you would unplug the connectors going to the seat heater buttons, but you may not need to. You may also need to disconnect the 12V socket connector...it's a little bit of a pain to undo.

Look for the black phillips screw near the front that holds the side panel to the center console. Unscrew it (don't drop it!), and you should have enough play to pull the side panel up and re-hook it.

·
Turbo lag
1,385 Posts
If you could walk me through this process, that'd be greatly appreciated!
Lift up the panel from the bottom, push it in on the top, then set it down. It not going to lift up a lot (maybe 1/16th of an inch), and you will pinch your fingers.

To make it easier to lift, you have to pull the center console, then remove the mounting screw that is the closest to the front and follow the steps above.

·
Super Moderator
6,487 Posts
Just my 2 cents, do any sort of plastic and rubber repair during the summer warm months, when the material is more pliable. That plastic might break with the force you will exert on it during the cold months, even with a plastic prying tool. Or you park your car in a heated garage until everything warms up, then go work on it. I almost never work on plastic panels or replace rubber hoses when it's stone cold outside, thing just rip and crack.... speaking from experience.

·
302 Posts
Hit it. Hard. Lol.
No, really. If not with your hand, try with a rubber mallet or something similar. It’s hard to tell if the clips are broken from those picture, but if they are (and you’d have to look yourself), then you’re better off replacing that whole panel.

When’d you notice it was popped out? What happened to it?
" Hit it. Hard. Lol." - This.

·
4,057 Posts
Just my 2 cents, do any sort of plastic and rubber repair during the summer warm months, when the material is more pliable. That plastic might break with the force you will exert on it during the cold months, even with a plastic prying tool. Or you park your car in a heated garage until everything warms up, then go work on it. I almost never work on plastic panels or replace rubber hoses when it's stone cold outside, thing just rip and crack.... speaking from experience.
Heh last time I did it my garage was probably over 100F :p Most jobs are a race to get done before you drip sweat over everything.

·
Turbo lag
1,385 Posts
I done this twice in the middle of winter here in Ohio (Not in a garage). If you are doing it right, you shouldn't be stressing anything in this specific repair. But as a general rule of thumb, I agree.

·
Yea I modded my car again
1,267 Posts
In general its good practice to just replace all the clips because popping them out and then back in will likely damage some of them and once it's in place you'll never really know until you start hearing the panel making noise.

Do it once, do it right is my motto

1 - 12 of 12 Posts