Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much to my surprise my 2012 accord rear passenger brakes -outboard pad wore down to 1 mm at 43,000.
The culprit - rusty sticking caliper pins. Recommended rotors too -due to excessive heating.
Front still have 30% life left - when did rear brakes start wearing out before front?
I've owned 1984 Prelude, 1987 Accord , 2002 Accord coupe - never had this before.
Disappointed in Honda.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Much to my surprise my 2012 accord rear passenger brakes -outboard pad wore down to 1 mm at 43,000.
The culprit - rusty sticking caliper pins. Recommended rotors too -due to excessive heating.
Front still have 30% life left - when did rear brakes start wearing out before front?
I've owned 1984 Prelude, 1987 Accord , 2002 Accord coupe - never had this before.
Disappointed in Honda.
It's the way it is my friend. With the way abs systems work these days the rear brakes do much more braking then they use too. My wife's 2012 civic went thru the oem pads at 42k and there where no problems just worn out. She is also a very tame driver, not like me lol.

·
Banned
14,429 Posts
Pics or it did not happen.

You are being played by your mechanic.

No rust in Nigeria...they don't use road salt.

·
Elvira
3,683 Posts
Pics or it did not happen.

You are being played by your mechanic.

No rust in Nigeria...they don't use road salt.
Rick

Are you in the real estate business?

you know

Location,location,location?:grin

Reactions: RickBlaine

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
I would go for a drive and check the rotor temps with an IR thermometer to verify this so called sticking problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I smelled the pads over heating and the steel wheel was hot (not warm) to touch. I personally checked all pads for wear prior to taking it in. Worst pad was passenger outboard pad at about 1 mm. Rotors looked questionable. I don't bother checking gas mileage so no hint there. As for mechanic - small shop I've used for some Honda and Toyota work for 30 years - never pushes work. Tells it like it is - parts worn, but you can get another 5 or 10 k out of it. When it's dangerous - he lets you know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Honda Accord with about 55K miles. For the last year or so, I've noticed some vibration on the steering wheel when braking. I was told that it's due to slight warp on my brake rotors but not an immediate concern. I've now noticed in the last month or so that occasionally (doesn't happen all the time), the vibration is amplified and accompanied by a low humming/rumbling sound when braking. I can also feel the vibration slightly through the gas pedal and steering wheel when driving as well. I've taken into a local mechanic as well as to a Honda dealer, but the problem could not be replicated and they told me that everything is fine. I just don't think it's normal to have this occasional heavy vibration and sound. My online research has taken me down the path of sticking caliper but I'm not sure if my symptoms are consistent with stuck caliper, and if that could happen just occasionally. Any advise on what I can tell the mechanic what's wrong?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts