Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Honda accord 2.4l cyl with 86000, has a upper engine rattle when i start it in the morning or if it's been sitting for a couple hours. I believe it is the vtc actuator, if i don't replace itWill this eventually do damage to my engine?, or is it just annoying.

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
LMGTFY. Took all of 5 seconds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand that but my real question was will this cause future damage or is it just annoying. Im going to have it replaced but i was just curious incase it comes back because ive read that there is a chance it will.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
21 Posts
I understand that but my real question was will this cause future damage or is it just annoying. Im going to have it replaced but i was just curious incase it comes back because ive read that there is a chance it will.
From what I know the opinions are mixed on this. I've read both that it could cause damage to the timing chain over time, and others saying it's just an annoyance.

Personally, I had mine done for roughly 700$ a little under 2 years ago, and the problem hasn't come back. I remember the original replacement part had the problem where the rattle came back shortly, but the updated part they rolled out seems to work just fine.

·
Registered
2009 accord ex-l sedan
4 Posts
As a technician, it’s important to replace the vtc actuator . I would do a new chain , guide and tensioners. If you are not a mechanic, let a professional do this job . But get it done no matter what .

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
21 Posts
As a technician, it’s important to replace the vtc actuator . I would do a new chain , guide and tensioners. If you are not a mechanic, let a professional do this job . But get it done no matter what .
Agree. And you say let a professional do this job, a funny story. I asked my independent mechanic, great guy, and even he said, let the dealership do this one. And even with the dealership doing it, they did mess something up, the timing chain was slightly off, causing a CEL. They had to rip it apart and correct it.

·
Registered
2009 accord ex-l sedan
4 Posts
Agree. And you say let a professional do this job, a funny story. I asked my independent mechanic, great guy, and even he said, let the dealership do this one. And even with the dealership doing it, they did mess something up, the timing chain was slightly off, causing a CEL. They had to rip it apart and correct it.
. My shop could easily do this job . When taking it to a dealer I would ask for the most senior tech on staff . You can request a more seasoned technician and I would . The dealer is usually the best way to go .

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Any competent mechanic can replace a VTC actuator and the timing chain. This is a straight up a mechanical replacement.

You want to see some real issues see what happens when Toyota mechanics work on a Subaru engine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sicky323
1 - 9 of 9 Posts