Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tackled replacing the inline transmission filter for this model year Accord? It took me a while to actually find the location as it seemed that honda moved it compared to the '08 '10 model years. It is now located right underneath the Fuse Box and Brake Fluid Reservoir near the firewall. It seems to be a pain in the ass to access it. Somehow, I need to figure out how to temporarily move the Fuse box out of the way...

1) Anyone have tips to performing this filter replacement? How can I get the Fuse Box out of the way?
2) Should I use OEM filter or a Magnefine one?
3) Is it safe to relocate this filter (from its current location behind the transmission case) to an easier to access location (on top of the transmission case where it use to be) by using longer hoses?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I havent got to look directly at it yet. though your post sparked my intrest. I dont know the mileage on your car. or how often you plan on changing this filter. me personaly i would use oem Honda filter, and leave it in the stock location. although the fluid should have plenty of pressure to handle the increased hose legnth if you wish to relocate it. although i prefer to install any filters at the lowest point instead of above the transmission.

·
Banned
546 Posts
I see no reason why you couldn't relocate it. As mentioned above and to add on, make sure when you relocate it that it is at the same elevation or lower than the stock location to reduce building up any head on it. You shouldn't really need to add much more hose and guys have added trans coolers to 7th gens with no problem at all.

I say go for the relocation and the OEM vs. Magnefine is up to you. Personally with that new of a car and possibly still having warranty, go with OEM just in case it goes to the dealer for something...one less thing they can "blame" something on

·
Registered
86 Posts
Don't know about 2012, but on earlier models (8th gen) the trans filter is considered as a non service item. Some say to change it out at 100K miles. I plan on doing mine every 50K miles (I do 1 fluid change at the same time as oil change).

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
My strategy is to try to get at it from the bottom rather than the top. Remove splash guard, etc etc. Not looking forward to it, but you shouldn't need to do it on a 2012 yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I havent got to look directly at it yet. though your post sparked my intrest. I dont know the mileage on your car. or how often you plan on changing this filter. me personaly i would use oem Honda filter, and leave it in the stock location. although the fluid should have plenty of pressure to handle the increased hose legnth if you wish to relocate it. although i prefer to install any filters at the lowest point instead of above the transmission.
Car is currently at about 29,500 miles. The OEM filter is situated on the side of the transmission housing in between the transmission and the firewall. It is positioned vertically (hoses running to top and bottom). Going by what the 7th gen guys are saying. Transmission fluid flow goes towards the firewall, which would mean for the 8th gen it'll go towards firewall, into top of filter, out the bottom of filter, back into tranny (?).

I just feel the need to replace this filter at this point as I've read that most of the wear from a transmission comes from the first few thousand miles when the new car is "breaking in." Certainly, I hope Honda and its historic transmission problems are nonexistent on my 2012 Accord considering that Honda has had 8 generations to fix it by now...

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
I just feel the need to replace this filter at this point as I've read that most of the wear from a transmission comes from the first few thousand miles when the new car is "breaking in." Certainly, I hope Honda and its historic transmission problems are nonexistent on my 2012 Accord considering that Honda has had 8 generations to fix it by now...
I've abused the crap out of my tranny and it still works just fine. BUT I make sure to do 1 drain and fill of the ATF with each oil change every 6 months, just to be safe. I might give replacing the filter a shot on my next change in December...I have a new one sitting in my parts corner....just depends on how ambitious I'm feeling.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My strategy is to try to get at it from the bottom rather than the top. Remove splash guard, etc etc. Not looking forward to it, but you shouldn't need to do it on a 2012 yet.
Hmm....still seems like quite a pain. Probably easier the less time you spend under the car...:dunno:

Took another look at it again today. It is pretty tightly packed in there. I'll definitely need to move that fuse box out of the way somehow to get to it. It would also be a good idea to relocate it in a more accessible area, which may/may not require longer tubing....

I'll sleep on it...still got a couple more hundred miles till 30k :lmao:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts