Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without making this explanation too long: I currently have a 2012 Coupe V6 which has been a fantastic car. However, a life change has me truly needing 4-doors from a practical standpoint. I unfortunately no longer have access to my ex-wife's Pilot, and am a musician that has to load keyboards/gear into my car at times, and need the 4 doors for when family comes to visit me in Houston.

So my question is, will I be unhappy coming from the 2012 Coupe V6 to a 2014 Sport Sedan. Obvious question here is the difference in power??

That aside the Sport has more contemporary technology than even my 2012 EX-L, and I would immediately upgrade the factory speakers and add components to the front if I got the Sport.

Any thoughts or insight would be most appreciated....

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
I can see this one starting another weekly I4 vs V6 debate. If your looking for a great, practical, low lost, good looking economical choice then go with the sport because it offers the most bang for your buck IMO. If you want to fork over another $6K+ for an EX-L V6 because you enjoy going fast get the V6. You cant lose on either car because they are both great Honda's. My last 3 daily drivers prior to my accord were BMW 335i, G35 and 04' Accord V6... all quicker than my sport, but its no slouch for what it is and it has plenty of passing power with great MPG to boot. Do a little searching and you will see tons of V6 vs I4 debates on here.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I went from a '12 V6 Coupe (6 speed mt) to a '13 Sport MT and have no regrets. The V6 was fun but it was also kind of a torque steering, wheel hopping mess in lower gears and reminded me that if I want something with more than 200hp it really needs to be rwd. My Sport has better tech, nicer interior, a much nicer shifting tranny, and fewer squeaks/rattles compared to my '12 coupe. Plus the practicality of 4 doors and I'm averaging almost 7 mpg higher than the V6 (got 25mpg over the course of a year with the v6 and I'm at 31+ with the Sport over 7 months). I actually find it more enjoyable to drive than the v6 during everyday driving. There's that saying about how it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow...

I miss the sunroof a little and I also feel like the 8th gen v6 coupe is one of the nicer looking cars on the road. I like how my gray Sport looks but it definitely blends in a lot more than my red coupe, which is both good and bad I guess...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies. My intention was definitely not to insight another I4/V6 debate -- as I read through plenty of that muck before posting anything.

Gearhead82, it's nice to have your direct comparison. Though I'm coming from an auto in my coupe, and would definitely get the CVT in the Sport as Houston is not a good place for a manual in your daily driver...

Guess I will have to continue to give it some thought. I had an I4 Accord previous to my coupe, so I am somewhat familiar with the driving dynamics of that engine...

·
Jack of All Trades
14 Posts
One thing that is good about the Sport trim is that, out of all the other trims for the sedan, it is kind of the middle trim, as it is stronger than the LX, EX, & EX-L I4 engines, but not as strong as the V6. So you have a balance of power and economy(Kinda) :biggrin:

It has paddle shifters as well, if you like to simulate a conventional automatic in manual mode sometime :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Don't you know that the V6 is god's gift to mankind? How dare thee even consider swapping it for the awful - should be banned on highways - mpgs don't matter - inline 4??

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
You will be happy with Sport CVT. Great car and great transmission. No issues after 13k miles.

·
Registered
134 Posts
There is still big difference between 3.5 and 2.4L power. However, the 2.4L has improved a lot over the last generation and you will enjoy much better fuel economy on city roads and a lower purchase price.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Your 2012 V6 Coupe Auto is about 6.4s to 60 mph and a 2014 I4-CVT Sedan is about 7.4s to 60 mph. You’ll feel that all day long. But 7.4s to 60 mph is still pretty quick! I know you said you want a CVT but the 2014 I4-6MT is 6.6s to 60 mph. That is almost the same as your current V6.

But in this price range what are your other choices for a new I4-auto sedan? Camry? Mazda6? Fusion? Altima? All of these cars need more than 7 seconds to reach 60 mph. If you go with any I4-auto competitor you must make the same power compromise. Can you swing a 2014 V6 sedan?

·
Tampa FL
374 Posts
I went from a 2006 V6 Auto to the Sport MT (I know you want the CVT) sometimes I do miss that low end torque; but overall, I am extremely happy with my Sport; the only thing I changed was getting the Leather seats (I have 3 kids, no cloth for me); it is fun to drive and it is almost as fast (I know the CVT is slower) but unless you decide to go racing, you will not notice)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know I'm going to be loosing some decent grunt if I go this way, but such is life. As someone else mentioned here, and I agree with, the 2012 V6 is definitely torque happy through the front wheels. After having a 370z as well, something is definitely missing when you don't have all this power coming through rwd.

In any event, I'm glad to hear the driving impression and experience that many have had with their own Sport models -- this is kind of what I was looking for. And by all accounts, this 9th Gen is more refined vehicle...

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts
Going from a 2009 2.4 to a 2013 3.5, the difference in mileage is negligible (80% city). If you have a couple thousand more, go with the V6. You have to live with the car for years, get the option you won't regret I say. Plus, the EX-L trim has nice things plus the added safety of LED lighting

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Perhaps go drive the V6 vs the Sport at your local friendly Honda dealer and YOU decide, rather than allowing a bunch of faceless forum members decide for you :thmsup: just a suggestion

BTW I feel zero "torque steer" in my '14 V6 Sedan for what its worth

·
Registered
608 Posts
You'll notice more than just the loss in power, but the I4 will, as a whole, feel quite a bit less refined than the V6 edition you have now. You'll also have to adapt to CVT, which is a strange transition no matter what car it's installed in. IMO just from you asking the question you already know this is a transition that will lead to depression so I'd suggest not doing it.

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts
Perhaps go drive the V6 vs the Sport at your local friendly Honda dealer and YOU decide, rather than allowing a bunch of faceless forum members decide for you :thmsup: just a suggestion

BTW I feel zero "torque steer" in my '14 V6 Sedan for what its worth
+1

+1 again

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you don't mind the dark gray or black colors, a Sport stick shift would be a good compromise, four doors yet pretty decent power, I am just not a fan of CVT so I would take the V6 just because of that. (go look at a Mazda6 as well, a worthy competitor to Honda now)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Appreciate all the responses, truly. I know the sales manager at the dealership well and we have been e-mailing back and forth. Gonna go test drive as suggested and see what I think. The pros and cons are fairly evident in the two -- having a I4 might actually be good as I have been averaging 1,750 miles a month.

Several have suggested the manual -- but that just isn't a possibility for my in Houston traffic...

·
Registered
901 Posts
One thing that is good about the Sport trim is that, out of all the other trims for the sedan, it is kind of the middle trim, as it is stronger than the LX, EX, & EX-L I4 engines, but not as strong as the V6. So you have a balance of power and economy(Kinda) :biggrin:

It has paddle shifters as well, if you like to simulate a conventional automatic in manual mode sometime :)
If I were to select the CVT tranny it would be EX-L all day long over the sport. The sport engine is no "stronger" than any other 4 banger accord, the dual exhaust adds 5hp. I'll take the creature comforts of leather, heated seats, push button start, premium stereo etc that you DON'T get with the sport for the extra bit each month. That said, swing the V6 if you can...you get a lot more than the traditional step gear tranny and motor for your money. Stepping up from the EX-L to the EX-L V6 is only about 1,500 smackers if you negotiate right.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts