Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2013 Accord Sedan LX Wht.
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who change your own oil how much do you put in it to get the oil to reach the top hole in the stick? The manual says 4.4 quarts including filter and I find it almost takes a full 5 to get the oil to the top hole to show full. I do not think the owners manual in correct.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
For those who change your own oil how much do you put in it to get the oil to reach the top hole in the stick? The manual says 4.4 quarts including filter and I find it almost takes a full 5 to get the oil to the top hole to show full. I do not think the owners manual in correct.
The manual has always said 4.5 or so. The answer, also as always, is 5.

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you.

Thank you for the link. I did search before posting for oil capacity and scanned through results and I did not see that one. Please disclose exactly what you searched to get your results? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
If it's me your asking, the answer is experience...20 years with five, both 4 and 6 cyl, Hondas.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Mine took just over 5. Try this thread if you want additional info.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Thank you for the link. I did search before posting for oil capacity and scanned through results and I did not see that one. Please disclose exactly what you searched to get your results? Thank you.
Sorry for being a smart ass. It was easier for me since I was the OP on that thread. Try "How much engine oil does Accord I4 require?"

Regards,

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Both of our Hondas call for 4.5qts with filter. When putting 4.5qts in the 2.4L it puts the level at smack dab middle which is where it was off the lot. Putting in 4.5qts in the 3.5L puts it at the top of the hatch marks in the dipstick which is where it was when I got it home with the factory fill. Strange.

Jay

·
Banned
784 Posts
Both of our Hondas call for 4.5qts with filter. When putting 4.5qts in the 2.4L it puts the level at smack dab middle which is where it was off the lot. Putting in 4.5qts in the 3.5L puts it at the top of the hatch marks in the dipstick which is where it was when I got it home with the factory fill. Strange.
Jay
My 05 Odyssey 3.5L takes 4.5 Qts with a new filter
My 13 Accord 2.4L takes 5.0 Qts with a new filter
My 14 Camry 2.5L takes 4.9 Qts with a new filter

It is funny why 3.5L takes less oil than a four banger.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
the engine is designed to run with 4.4qt. it doesn't have to be at the max line to be 'full'. it has to be between the two dots- the low and high marks.

oil expands as it heats up. too much oil will increase the oil pressure which can cause oil leaks. follow the manual and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
923 Posts
the engine is designed to run with 4.4qt. it doesn't have to be at the max line to be 'full'. it has to be between the two dots- the low and high marks.

oil expands as it heats up. too much oil will increase the oil pressure which can cause oil leaks. follow the manual and you'll be fine.
I do understand your logic and respect your knowledge as a Tech. However on a 100 degree day I would want that extra 16 OZ or .5 of a Quart for cooling capacity.

I do agree oil expands and you do not want to be over full but full is full and mid point is mid point. 16 OZ on a four in severe heat is a lot of cooling power lost.

Not to be ignorant but if Honda makes 16 OZ on ever oil change they are making big money from a 55 gallon drum.

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank everyone again. Honda obviously did not ship my car with 4.4 quarts in it because the stick always had the top hole in it full of oil if I checked it hot or cold. I will continue to use the 5 quarts that puts it where Honda shipped the car at. I am using M1 0-20 with a Honda Filter for this to be at the mark the car was new on the stick. BTW I always drop my oil with the front end elevated via a jack and stands or ramps.

·
Banned
784 Posts
I trust the dip stick more than the manual. As long as you are between the min and max level then you are fine. Very simple.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If it's me your asking, the answer is experience...20 years with five, both 4 and 6 cyl, Hondas.
Hey "ltxi",
curious about your signature - What exactly is a "2013 V6 Sport Sedan" ?
As far as I know the "sport" trim is only available in a 4 cylinder. How did you manage to get a "V6" ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use 5 qt and it is dead on full. I think the difference in the 4.4 and 5.0 is I use ramps and since the drain plug is on the BACK side of the oil pan , more oil drains out than it would if level and flat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts