Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My less than 1yr old car's air conditioner started stinking. It started with a mild inconvenient smell initially and within a month it became very severe and currently its difficult to drive with the windows rolled up for a long time.

I stopped using the circulation mode and drove the car with just the fan for both low/high temperatures. Also cleaned the cabin filter (will replace it soon).

Any specific recommendations on how to improve the air conditioner?
- spray/cleaner?
- can we use after market filters? (recommendations)

Accord 2013 EX-L, I4, ~8.5k miles on odo

Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would suggest replacing the cabin filter. And when you are in the process of changing the filter run a can of Klima Cleaner through the ac ducts and install the new filter. It will defiantly help.

Any cabin filter would be fine. I don't like fram but I have used the FreshBreeze Cabin Air Filters in my other cars (Part Number CF10134)
A good evaporator core cleaner is einszett 961105 Klima Cleaner Professional.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Same problem is in my car. I bought it in May 2013. It started to smell in fall.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is a common problem for all air conditioners (in a car or not), and is caused by mildew growth. In cars it often happens when people run their A/C on the recirculation all of the time, or the drain gets clogged. The system doesn't dry out completely and mildew starts to grow

·
HA-420
709 Posts
What might help prevent this is turning the AC off when you're a mile or 2 from your destination but keep the fan going. Helps to get rid of all the moisture.

Sent from my iPad Air

·
Registered
109 Posts
Turn off eco mode. Eco mode almost always keeps the A/C in recirc. My trick is to run the air without a/c a couple days a week.

·
Registered
468 Posts
What might help prevent this is turning the AC off when you're a mile or 2 from your destination but keep the fan going. Helps to get rid of all the moisture.

Sent from my iPad Air
This is a good practice. Seems to work in my last car.

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
We're in the midst of an Arctic freeze here and you noticed a problem with AC now? I'm jealous...

·
Registered
25 Posts
My recommendation would be to move to a colder climate - there's plenty of cold in the north east to share!

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
A dry climate is also also nice in this regard.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can anyone tell me approximately where the evaporator drain tube is located on a '13? I think mine is clogged and I want to try to blow it out with some compressed air.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I've noticed that mine will have a musty smell for a few days after a car wash that does an undercarriage wash. I wonder if the jet spray is washing up through the drain tube into the evaporator? Never had any problems in the summer. I don't use touchless in the summer, so that is why I am thinking there might be a correlation. I'm sure the undercarriage wash is reclaimed water too, so that probably doesn't help either. I ran the fan on high for a full day with the sunroof tilted to draw the air out and it seemed to get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Can anyone tell me approximately where the evaporator drain tube is located on a '13? I think mine is clogged and I want to try to blow it out with some compressed air.
Take a drive and run the AC. Park it on a dry piece of pavement and where you see the water dripping out under the car, that is the drain. It will be near the underside of the passenger front floor pan (where the feet go)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a smell as well, but I don't think I'd characterize it as mildew. It is intermittent and seems to be more present when it's cold outside. The smell is distinctly reminiscent of plastic. Like breathing air that has been trapped in a storage container for a long time. Anyone else have the same smell?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts