Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I'm on my farewell tour with my 2007 Honda accord 2.4 SE
I was planning on getting the 2014 Gen 7 Golf gti 4 door but I am throwing in the V6 coupe in the fray with auto so the wife can drive it every now and then.
She's got a CRV.
For you Auto V6 owners how do you like it and do the paddle shifters work well and is sport mode as agressive as it is on the 4 door sedan.
Thxs

·
Registered
101 Posts
In my opinion, the paddle shifters are basically useless for anything other than holding a gear. The response is just not quick enough. The sport mode I also hardly ever use. It does not change the shift speed or quality, just locks out 5th and 6th and holds 2, and 3 longer before shifting. Having said that, the shift quality in drive is ok, but shifts are pretty quick and a little on the firm side (some have even complained about that). The transmission is also reasonable when it comes to responding to throttle input.

Otherwise, the Auto V6 gives up nothing in the way of straightline performance to the manual, and gets about 3mpg better fuel economy. I am quite pleased with it.

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
Sport mode is great for city conditions where you want to stay in the higher power band but once you're over 40mph you're just burning extra fuel. The paddle shifters are a nice feature; downshifts are fairly quick especially when you're off the throttle but upshifts seem slow. If I'm using the paddle shifters I'm going to downshift most of the time so it works out well. You can also downshift in drive for a short period of time before it brings it back up to the ideal gear.

·
Registered
336 Posts
In my opinion, the paddle shifters are basically useless for anything other than holding a gear. The response is just not quick enough. The sport mode I also hardly ever use. It does not change the shift speed or quality, just locks out 5th and 6th and holds 2, and 3 longer before shifting. Having said that, the shift quality in drive is ok, but shifts are pretty quick and a little on the firm side (some have even complained about that). The transmission is also reasonable when it comes to responding to throttle input.

Otherwise, the Auto V6 gives up nothing in the way of straightline performance to the manual, and gets about 3mpg better fuel economy. I am quite pleased with it.
I wish I at least had this option in my sedan as it would make driving in snow quite a bit easier. With the sedan, there is no way to electronically or mechanically limit the gears, so if you're not careful and apply too much throttle, you could be in for some slippage. The only discourse would be to enable ECON mode in order to dull the throttle response. :(

With that said, regular Drive mode is plenty fast for the most part, but Sport mode is incredibly useful when merging onto busy highways that have very short merging lanes, which are practically everywhere here in NJ. :lmao:

·
Registered
234 Posts
In my opinion the paddle shifters work great for sport driving. You do have to lead your shifts by a split second, because there is a small delay between hitting the paddle and the transmission responding. But for sport driving on curvy roads, it's almost, ALMOST, as fun as a manual. The downshifts are where you really notice the shortcomings of the auto. On the brakes and downshifting it doesn't match revs, so you get a big grab of deceleration when it downshifts. When you're driving hard it's not that big of a deal since you're near maximum braking anyway, but trying to drive a smooth line into the corner is more difficult. But for me, it's a perfect compromise for the type of driving I do. I really did want a manual, and there are times when I wish I would have gotten one, but the paddle shift is a good compromise for me. By the way, if there was no paddle shift, I would never have gotten the auto.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I love the paddle shifters on my V6 Coupe, use them all the time to primarily downshift into a turn or downhill (we have many hills in Northwest NJ where I live). Wouldn't have bought the automatic without them. I'm a life long manual shift driver, but we also have a weekend Mustang GT that is a manual so can still have fun. Also, use Sport mode whenever I want real acceleration... In "D" mode the transmission shifts too early

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't know what's not to like about sport mode or the paddle shifters. I use mine a lot in the mountains or on twisty or winding roads.

·
Sexyland's Finest
112 Posts
Like others have said, the paddles can be a nuisance in many ways, but it's a feature you're better off with than without.

The car itself is quite fun. It can be a comfortable every day driver when that's what you want, but it's ready to move when you are. Even in drive, a quick paddle shift down and some throttle sends you to the moon. The engine and tranny deliver better 0-60 and quarter mile times than many Stangs, Chargers and Camero's, as ridiculous as that sounds for anything with the big "H" stamped on the back.

All in all, I'm pleased with mine.

My problems so far:
NAV quite simply sucks, and so does the speaker quality.
Music navigation via USB is horrible and bluetooth ruins audio quality, making an aftermarket solution necessary for people who have large music collections like myself.

Winter! This car hates it. The window wash is sunk below hood and will require a lot of attention to keep clear. The rear camera is low on the coupe and will be useless most of the winter due to snow/dirt buildup. The rear window and entire trunk groove is sloped meaning lots of ice build up in those groves keeping you from closing you trunk. Snow/ice also builds up between behind the door handle causing it to half-engage preventing the door from opening from the inside until that ice is cleared out. And if you have my coupe, ice will also build up inside your door causing the window to get stuck halfway down preventing you from opening that frozen door from the outside unless you climb out the passenger door.

That said, I'd still take the V6 coupe over any other vehicle in it's class/price range having owned it for the better part of a year. I might feel some car envy when the 2015 Stang comes out, because it looks like a winner so far.

·
Grinding Gears
269 Posts
Mookster, where the hell do you live?! LOL the ice comments are killing me :lmao:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts