Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Long-time Accord owner here, but posting on behalf of a friend.

About 5 months ago, she went to start her car, and after pushing the start button a few times with no crank, it eventually died. No dash lights, nothing. Car was jumped, a new battery was bought, and it worked fine up until yesterday.

She had just driven her car all over town, and went to start it in a store parking lot, and the same thing happened. Dash lights flashed, the starter clicked, and then nothing.

Called AAA for a jump and it fired up. Car limped home, but obviously was not at full power. The lights dimmed when she turned the wheel, etc. Drove around for an hour to try and charge battery, but as soon as it got home, it wouldn't turn on again. No dash lights, not even a crank. Tried to jump it again and it has no power at all.

I've been thinking of everything that could be wrong with it, but cant figure out what would cause all the electrical to to just go out like that.

Any suggestions?

·
Happy Accord Owner
63 Posts
It could be a bad cell in the battery. Have her take it to the shop/store where she bought the battery so it can be load tested. I had a two year old battery go bad in my last vehicle, so it can happen...

·
Old DriveAccord Soul
1,808 Posts
Agree, sounds like a bad battery. It can happen with new(er) batteries. I'd take it back, I'm sure it's prorated.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Driving around town for an hr. would not of charged the battery much, it can take 8 hrs. of interstate driving, without additional elect. loads to charge up a depleted battery. Have the battery tested for CCA & make sure a new battery is fully charged.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If the battery checks out, then I think it may be the alternator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not the battery. We replaced it with a new one and still nothing. Dash lights dont even come on. Total electrical shutdown.

I'm at a loss. I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined, but when it comes to electrical I'm stuck.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Does the honda use a main fuse of some sort? Maybe check that out too.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
It's the alternator - it's easy to replace....look at the alternator, I'm almost certain...
How would a bad alternator keep the car from starting?

·
'15 EX-L V6 Mod Steel Met
98 Posts
How would a bad alternator keep the car from starting?
Bad alternator won't charge the battery...it'll be drained while running the car (& the air, radio and others that require power). Basically lack of charge to the battery will drain the battery and it'll prevent it from starting/running.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Ok, I think you are right. Rereading the OP, these words stick out, "The lights dimmed when she turned the wheel, etc." This does indeed suggest the car was running off the battery and not alternator, eventually draining the battery fully. This car uses electric power steering assist which does generate an electrical load when turning the wheel.

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE: called AAA to get another jump this morning. Car was unresponsive. Tested with a brand new battery and still nothing. Got it towed to a local mechanic so I guess its just a waiting game now

·
'15 EX-L V6 Mod Steel Met
98 Posts
UPDATE: called AAA to get another jump this morning. Car was unresponsive. Tested with a brand new battery and still nothing. Got it towed to a local mechanic so I guess its just a waiting game now
So sorry to hear. :headbash: Let us know how you make out. Best of luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, that definitely sounds like a bad alternator to me. Honda uses those small crappy batteries that ends up putting a huge strain on the electrical system. If you get the problem taken care of, let us know what ends up happening. I'm sure we're all curious! :) If it is the alternator, I would upgrade to the V6 battery as it won't put such a demand on the alternator. Soon as the weather gets nice out again, that's the first thing I'm going to do to my i4.

Most people say to not worry about upgrading and just keep replacing that small battery, but the alternator is working twice as hard. Especially if you have higher trim models with heated seats and such. That's a huge demand on a riding lawnmower size battery and the alternator has to work twice as hard to keep up. And if you ask me, Honda really f**** up trying to keep costs down but ends up costing customers a lot in the end. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I still have some puzzlement over it being an alternator. I agree one that isn't working will cause the battery to run down (battery icon should be lite up on the dash¿?). However, ok, lets say the alternator is dead and the battery is dead. I would think there'd still be *some* signs of life when connected to a jumping vehicle. At the least, dash lights coming on or something.

We have ~3 months left on our bumper-bumper warranty. Seriously thinking of getting the 5 yr extended. One or two repairs and it's paid for itself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts