Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 Accord has developed a problem with the air conditioning. Each time I turn it on, the 'inside air' function activates. As you probably are aware, when the inside air function is on, the blower noise level is higher than without. I can manually turn the inside air button off, but the system remains on inside air.

This happens each time the unit A/C turned on and will not turn itself off, as it's designed to do, after the interior has cooled down.

Have any of you had this type of problem with any late model Accord? Wanted to check with others before I entrust the car to the dealer shop. I like to have an idea of the problem, in advance.

Thanks

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,338 Posts
It sounds like it is operating just like my car.

Jay

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
My 2013 Accord has developed a problem with the air conditioning. Each time I turn it on, the 'inside air' function activates. As you probably are aware, when the inside air function is on, the blower noise level is higher than without. I can manually turn the inside air button off, but the system remains on inside air.

This happens each time the unit A/C turned on and will not turn itself off, as it's designed to do, after the interior has cooled down.

Have any of you had this type of problem with any late model Accord? Wanted to check with others before I entrust the car to the dealer shop. I like to have an idea of the problem, in advance.

Thanks
I don't think this is a problem but the way the system is designed. In the automatic mode the system will try to drive the inside temperature to the selected value. This is accomplished faster by cooling the air inside the car instead of bringing more hot air inside. When the temperature reaches the selected value it reduces the fan speed and eventually switches to outside air from recalculate. It's been so hot here in Texas that it takes a long time for the system to switch over to outside air. On my drive home in the afternoon it sometimes doesn't switch for the entire thirty minute journey.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Recirculating Air will not turn off

I don't think this is a problem but the way the system is designed. In the automatic mode the system will try to drive the inside temperature to the selected value. This is accomplished faster by cooling the air inside the car instead of bringing more hot air inside. When the temperature reaches the selected value it reduces the fan speed and eventually switches to outside air from recalculate. It's been so hot here in Texas that it takes a long time for the system to switch over to outside air. On my drive home in the afternoon it sometimes doesn't switch for the entire thirty minute journey.
Thanks for the input. I thought perhaps that was the reason, as well. So yesterday, as usual, when I turn the AC to Auto - the 'inside air' automatically came on. I ran the car on a round trip of about 110 miles. All this time the recirculating air light stayed on - even when I would run the AC temp up the the maximum temp......the compressor would shut down, but the recirculating light stayed on. I'd then turn the AC completely off and back on, no change. When stopped, to hear the difference when I would manually turn the recirculating light, the fan noise level remained the same as when in recirculating mode.

It''s my believe the switching device is screwed up?? Would certainly be interested in hearing any other opinions as well.......Thanks.

·
Elvira
3,965 Posts
Thanks for the input. I thought perhaps that was the reason, as well. So yesterday, as usual, when I turn the AC to Auto - the 'inside air' automatically came on. I ran the car on a round trip of about 110 miles. All this time the recirculating air light stayed on - even when I would run the AC temp up the the maximum temp......the compressor would shut down, but the recirculating light stayed on. I'd then turn the AC completely off and back on, no change. When stopped, to hear the difference when I would manually turn the recirculating light, the fan noise level remained the same as when in recirculating mode.

It''s my believe the switching device is screwed up?? Would certainly be interested in hearing any other opinions as well.......Thanks.
I will give the programmers the benefit of the doubt that they programmed the system to know that if it IS extremely hot outside (maybe humidity affects it too?) no matter what always recirculate. Maybe that Econ button only allows to recirculate too! It is supposed to affect the ACoperation when operating and maybe that's what it is doing. Less demand with recirc air than outside humid air. Did you have Econ on?
Lately in Chicago area even with 80's my recirc does turn off automatically when it reaches thermostat setting. Econ is off too.
Miker
Addendum
The manual also states that if you are in auto mode for climate control and hit any single button, only that button will be in oPeration in MANUAL and take precedence. So if you hit recirc while in auto climate mode the recirc will ALWAYS be lit while every other system will be in auto mode still.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I will give the programmers the benefit of the doubt that they programmed the system to know that if it IS extremely hot outside (maybe humidity affects it too?) no matter what always recirculate. Maybe that Econ button only allows to recirculate too! It is supposed to affect the ACoperation when operating and maybe that's what it is doing. Less demand with recirc air than outside humid air. Did you have Econ on?
Lately in Chicago area even with 80's my recirc does turn off automatically when it reaches thermostat setting. Econ is off too.
Miker
The Econ button doesn't seem to make any difference with the recirculate button in the AC auto mode. I have run 2 tanks of gas each with and without the Econ button on in July and August and I can't tell any difference in the AC performance. I run the system entirely in the automatic mode.

By the way, the difference in mileage was negligible.

·
Banned
5,773 Posts
The A/C is definitely dumbed down when ECON is on. Set your temperature to 'LO' and hit the 'AUTO' button. Now while cruising at 60 MPH hit the 'ECON' button, the A/C output should immediately feel different/less.

At least on my car it does.

·
Elvira
3,965 Posts
The Econ button doesn't seem to make any difference with the recirculate button in the AC auto mode. I have run 2 tanks of gas each with and without the Econ button on in July and August and I can't tell any difference in the AC performance. I run the system entirely in the automatic mode.

By the way, the difference in mileage was negligible.
I'll accept that! I run in auto exclusively too but I don't experience heat as bad as in your country. My addendum in the previous post does say you can override certain auto modes by hitting the button.
Miker

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know where on the dash, or nearby, the AC sensor is located? It could be the sensor is set incorrectly, or in fact, may be sitting directly in the sun - if on the dash. I've looked at the dash and cannot see one. On my previous vehicle, the sensor was at the front of the dash, in front of my right knee area.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Does anyone know where on the dash, or nearby, the AC sensor is located? It could be the sensor is set incorrectly, or in fact, may be sitting directly in the sun - if on the dash. I've looked at the dash and cannot see one. On my previous vehicle, the sensor was at the front of the dash, in front of my right knee area.
The location of the sensors is found on page 145 in the Coupe owner's manual. If you have the sedan look in index under Airconditioning sensor.

There are two sensors a sunlight sensor on top of the dash and the temperature sensor is at the bottom of the dash to the right of the steering wheel.

·
Elvira
3,965 Posts
Directly above the start button there is a little grill. There's also a sunlight sensor on the windshield cowling in middle of dash Pg 172 of the sedan manual has good diagram.
Miker

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.