Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to give my first impressions of how the 2013 Accord Sport performs in stock form in the snow. We got about 2-3 inches in northern Ohio this morning and for the most part it performed quite well. The Michelin tires track very well in the snow and do a great job at dispersing road slush. I cringe at the sight of salt so when I got home I washed the whole undercarriage and hand washed to rock panels (over excessive maybe). Oh and the ABS works pretty good too, gotta love black ice! Also it is easy (mostly tempting) to get up to speed quick with the 6MT so you gotta hold yourself back a bit in these conditions. Has anyone else driven in bad conditions?

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I need to change my Good Year all season because in Quebec we are forced by law to have our winter tires by the 15th of December (and believe me it is correct that they did so) I was aiming for Nokian R2, none to be found in the freakin province of Quebec and Vermont depot. :'( Might have to go with Michelin X-Ice Xi3

·
Banned
784 Posts
Just wanted to give my first impressions of how the 2013 Accord Sport performs in stock form in the snow. We got about 2-3 inches in northern Ohio this morning and for the most part it performed quite well. The Michelin tires track very well in the snow and do a great job at dispersing road slush. I cringe at the sight of salt so when I got home I washed the whole undercarriage and hand washed to rock panels (over excessive maybe). Oh and the ABS works pretty good too, gotta love black ice! Also it is easy (mostly tempting) to get up to speed quick with the 6MT so you gotta hold yourself back a bit in these conditions. Has anyone else driven in bad conditions?
Wait until the roads are a little cooler and temperatures are much colder. Regardless of the Accord model, all season Michelin or Goodyear tires are not that great when you have a real snow. I purchased a set of Blizzak WS70 and there is no comparison in your ability stop and accelerate in the snow or on ice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I need to change my Good Year all season because in Quebec we are forced by law to have our winter tires by the 15th of December (and believe me it is correct that they did so) I was aiming for Nokian R2, none to be found in the freakin province of Quebec and Vermont depot. :'( Might have to go with Michelin X-Ice Xi3
Scoot across the border into Ontario and you will find Nolian at Kal Tire. Who are you insured with? One insurer has a $100 instant rebate off WRG2. Thought this might help. If you were looking toward Vermont, Ontario is not out of the question if you really want Nokian

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I've been curious to see how my coupe runs in the snow. We had a thick frost in CT last night, but no sticking snow yet for the season.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Your crazy if you think the Michelin's or any of the OEM tires are good in snow. Its only a matter of time before you realize they aren't. Hopefully you don't kill someone or yourself learning your mistake.

Folks, these tires aren't meant for Snow. All Season does NOT mean winter. Below 7C the rubber is going to harden, and they will suck in slippery conditions. If you get any kind of snow, please be safe. Remember its not just you that's in danger when you drive in snow with summer tires on.

I realize that some of you guys are in nice warm climates and don't really get much snow at all if any. I can't judge that for you. But for the rest, instead of thinking that steelies and winter tires are too much money - think of it as saving your summer tires and making them last longer. Summer tires are the expensive ones, and ANY cheap winter tire is better in snow then the OEM tires. Besides, salt and sand (not to mention pot holes in winter months) wreak havoc on nice aluminum rims - its just not worth it any way I look at it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Scoot across the border into Ontario and you will find Nolian at Kal Tire. Who are you insured with? One insurer has a $100 instant rebate off WRG2. Thought this might help. If you were looking toward Vermont, Ontario is not out of the question if you really want Nokian
Insurance is Desjardins' based 'La personnel' I never heard of rebates on tires with them.

I've asked my local Nokian distributor to find me some, I'll see how it turns out. Thanks for the tip about Ontario, I'll consider that.

·
Registered
481 Posts
My Sport came stock with Goodyear, why would other Accords have Michelins?

just purchased our Accord 10 days ago. When I was scanning the lot while looking I noticed a lot of the Sedans seemed to have Michelin Primacy but the V6 Coupes had Goodyear Eagle LS like mine has. I checked the specs at Tirerack, the Michelin tire is rated much better in snow than the Goodyear LS. I am a bit concerned as I live in Northwest NJ with lots of hills and neat windy roads, but a bit dangerous in winter. I'll either work from home as needed or buy cheap set of 4 Steel wheels and get Blizzacks. Just hate to shell out more money right now

·
Registered
148 Posts
Your crazy if you think the Michelin's or any of the OEM tires are good in snow. Its only a matter of time before you realize they aren't. Hopefully you don't kill someone or yourself learning your mistake.
Wow, that's a bit harsh man. I lived in Wisconsin for about 4yrs. Never bought steelies and winter tires. Used good all weathers instead on all our cars even the years we got 125 inches of snow and temps almost 40 below. Got in only one accident when my 300hp VR4 spun on black ice on the ramp leading upto the beltway.

I'm not saying that snow tires aren't better just that they aren't always necessary.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
You guys with the GoodYear LS may want to do some research on TireRack before pushing them in the snow...

I installed GoodYear Ultra Grip Ice WRTs in the stock size on 17" rims. Have not had the chance to try them on snow yet. I will say that i think they are quieter than the stock GY Assurance Fuel-Max tires that came on it. They do make the car a little more crown sensitive and torque steer is a little more noticeable.

Jay

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I don't know why everyone thinks they need to go to Blizzak's. Seriously overkill for most of you Americans in warm temps. They aren't as good as people think they are either. But if you get a little bit of snow, tons of cheaper options out there still better then oem tires.

Ultra grips aren't a fancy tire by any means but will do the job for most people. Lots of people here run them just fine. I know people that run them all year..although I wouldn't do it.

Nokian is a good tire but $$$ where I live.

Wow, that's a bit harsh man. I lived in Wisconsin for about 4yrs. Never bought steelies and winter tires. Used good all weathers instead on all our cars even the years we got 125 inches of snow and temps almost 40 below. Got in only one accident when my 300hp VR4 spun on black ice on the ramp leading upto the beltway.

I'm not saying that snow tires aren't better just that they aren't always necessary.
Sorry, not trying to be harsh, just reality. Can't count how times I have heard exactly what you just said here only to see them in an accident at some point. Its just not worth it. But like I said, you know how much snow you get, and if it sticks around each day. I have no idea what conditions you are driving in but when I hear oem tires and snow....makes me cringe. Winter tires are cheap.

·
4,339 Posts
I don't know why everyone thinks they need to go to Blizzak's. Seriously overkill for most of you Americans in warm temps. They aren't as good as people think they are either. But if you get a little bit of snow, tons of cheaper options out there still better then oem tires.

Ultra grips aren't a fancy tire by any means but will do the job for most people. Lots of people here run them just fine. I know people that run them all year..although I wouldn't do it.

Nokian is a good tire but $$$ where I live.
Blizzaks for the $$$ you pay and for what is actually the "cellular compound" is not worth it. Besides, get a 50 deg day in Feb and watch them melt off the car. In the end, I agree with you.

That being said. I did run the Blizzak LM-25 on my Magnum and that was a great tire. It was not a traditional cellular compond but sillica-impregnated rubber that was fantastic right down to the 2/32" wear bars.

My family has been using GY Ultra Grips since the late 90s with great success. This is my first time with the WRT, but the reviews look favorable.

I did run winterforce for two years on my Magnum after the Blizzaks were done. While the grip was good, I just could not take the noise.

Jay

·
Registered
916 Posts

Maybe you would not have had that one accident if your had snow tires. :yes:

Twenty years in South Dakota and no accidents - always have snows in the winter. They make a huge difference. I would take my Accord with snows over any AWD with all seasons. Snows actually help when turning and stopping.

·
Kevin
11 Posts

·
4,339 Posts
So we had the first real snow in SW Ontario. This morning the less driven streets had icy corners and I could feel the tires slide. Not wanting to meet another car or tree with my Accord I have ordered 16 inch Blizzak's. Currently I have Goodyear Assurance tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=2013&autoModel=Accord Sedan&autoModClar=EX-L
The funny part is the "Accord-Spec" Fuel Max looks nothing like that picture or what I have seen in retail stores or on other cars in parking lots. It makes you wonder how it stands up to those reviews and specs.

Jay

1 - 20 of 34 Posts