Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello for those of you who own 2013 accord SPORTS. Do you feel it makes U-turns too wide? On Honda's website, the specs show that its makes a huge 39.6 ft curb-to-curb turn diameter, which is even larger than the already big 38.1 from Non-sport (I'm guessing due to the larger 18" rims/wheels too).

I am seriously considering a 2013 accord sedan sport, but I dont feel too comfortable with the huge turn radius.....Do you guys have trouble maneuvering out of parking lots? Common intersections where you need to do U-turns? At 39.6 ft, this is like in the same class as a Porsche Cayenne and other larger SUVs.....thats kind of embarassing for a mid-size sedan....Even the 2012 camry is around 35 and honda civics are around 35. THats day/night difference.

I dont want to be one of those people who try to make a U-turn but 3/4 of way thru, I have to back up and hold everyone up behind me.....

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
9,914 Posts
7th gen turning circle is 36.1
8th gen turning circle is 37.8

You make the 9th gen seem like it handles like a tractor trailor. Parking lots are no problem though it can be a little annoying sometimes when doing u-turns on small/narrow streets.

Best thing to do is take the car on a test drive and find out for yourself how it does on your roads.

·
7th Gear
3,424 Posts
Hello for those of you who own 2013 accord SPORTS. Do you feel it makes U-turns too wide? On Honda's website, the specs show that its makes a huge 39.6 ft curb-to-curb turn diameter, which is even larger than the already big 38.1 from Non-sport (I'm guessing due to the larger 18" rims/wheels too).

I am seriously considering a 2013 accord sedan sport, but I dont feel too comfortable with the huge turn radius.....Do you guys have trouble maneuvering out of parking lots? Common intersections where you need to do U-turns? At 39.6 ft, this is like in the same class as a Porsche Cayenne and other larger SUVs.....thats kind of embarassing for a mid-size sedan....Even the 2012 camry is around 35 and honda civics are around 35. THats day/night difference.

I dont want to be one of those people who try to make a U-turn but 3/4 of way thru, I have to back up and hold everyone up behind me.....
:lmao:

not buying a car based upon U-Turns.

Buy a Garmin so you'll never need to make a U-Turn.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I went from a 7G coupe to a 9G sedan and the increase in turning radius is noticeable... but the advantages/features of the 9G car far outweigh the negatives.

·
Super Moderator
3,418 Posts
I know those people who take a minute to complete the U-turn. When they have such a big issue with a u-turn, that is the least of their driving problem.

·
7th Gear
3,424 Posts
Try making a U-Turn in a 1951 Plymouth Cranbrook with no Power steering.

It S ucked! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Nav
714 Posts
Are you buying the car just for u turns?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you buying the car just for u turns?
No its just that I been driving for 13 years and Gone through 3 cars, all stickshift, all compact. (2001 acura integra, 2000 subaru impreza 2.5RS, and 2007 Honda Civic Si). All made really nice tight U-turns.

So this would be my first step in owning a mid-size car..which im not really used to since mid-size cars generally dont have the fun-to-drive "go kart" feeling. But they ARE roomier, and this new accord is really luxurious inside. If anything, the U-turn is the biggest issue for me only because everything else about the car is quite nice and no moonroof option. oh and I feel like I would look "old" driving it. (I'm 28 years old).

My 3 considerations right now are (in white):
2013 (refresh model) Honda civic (ex trim?)- moonroof
2013 honda accord SPORT trim
2013 subaru impreza sport premium ( I been wanting the 2012 impreza for the longest time, but been reading on forums some ppl have issues with them - duno if its fixed for 2013).

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Despite what others are posting, I believe it is a valid point that the turning radius is quite large for this vehicle in this day and age.

For example, the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that I've test driven has a compact car-like turning radius of only 36.0 feet while having a 6.3" longer wheel base than our Accord Sports.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Get a fit
Bad recommendation.

Anyhow, it's really moot. For a sub-c./compact in the city, 37 ft is pushing it (read: the mitsu evo forums). At least in the suburbs, and in most cities, even 42ft isn't an issue. You just need a wee drip of brainpower before a U-turn, that's all. No sudden last millisecond sharp lefts at high speed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I seem to recall that the Maxima's turning circle is about 46 feet. So the Accord doesn't seem so bad. I have had no issues with the turning circle in my Sport. It actually seems a bit more maneuverable than my 6th gen.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I seem to recall that the Maxima's turning circle is about 46 feet. So the Accord doesn't seem so bad. I have had no issues with the turning circle in my Sport. It actually seems a bit more maneuverable than my 6th gen.
Nah, it used to be about 40, but it dropped back to 37 or so (iirc) when the CVT became standard. I guess the old AT was just too big.

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
I'm looking into if inner tie rod spacers would help decrease the steering radius (increase steering angle). I know on other cars it works.

Other option to increase steering angle maybe to trim/file/shave the steering bump stops.

Not sure if any of this works, but just putting it out there.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Honda is using civic based McPherson suspension as cheaper subsitute to Double Wishbone type.

Bmw 3 and 5 series has double ball joints to lower control arms that really make the wheel stand up on the sidewalls for U turns

·
Registered
469 Posts
And the X5 has a yacht like turning radius of 42 ft!

At any rate, the 3 series cars still use McPherson struts up front, though gain benefit of a narrow engine bay (no need to stuff a long 4 cyl, transmission, and electric motor all transverse mounted... *cough* every mainstream hybrid sedan *cough*). I'd bet that was one of the main reasons why the double wishbone setup had to go, then cost, then NVH (or whatever it was Honda officially claimed).

Though, it seems the RLX will get along fine with all that packed up front (though it gets a much different electric/tranny setup).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts