Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay folks, so tonight I was on my way home from dinner on the Interstate and needed to get into a different lane that had faster traffic. I was probably travelling 55 mph at the time. I goosed my Accord into a downshift and something very peculiar happened.

As the RPM needle swung to around 5100, the Accord kind of shuddered and acted almost as if I had hit some sort of rev limiter. It's almost as if it hesitated at that speed. Sorry, but it's difficult to describe. And then, the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree!

I had many alternating warnings in the Orange Info Box. None of them appeared to be mission critical items and the car continued to handle/sound normally. I did exit to surface streets and proceed home without incident. The orange lights rotated through the following:

Tire Pressure Monitor Problem (TPMS)
Adaptive Cruise Control Problem (ACC)
Lane Departure Warning Problem (LDW)
Hill Start Assist Problem
Vehicle Stability Assist Problem (VSA)
Power Steering System Problem (EPS)
Emissions System Problem

In addition to these cycling one after the other, on the center orange info display area, the corresponding failure lights were also lit up on their respective symbols on the dashboard.

I really wasn't sure how to best perform a search for this on the forum, and came up empty so I'm asking for your help. I've scheduled an appointment online with Honda.

Car was purchased in September 2013 and currently has 1,800 miles on it. I've attached a dash photo. Just imagine all the above listed warnings alternating.

:dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Okay folks, so tonight I was on my way home from dinner on the Interstate and needed to get into a different lane that had faster traffic. I was probably travelling 55 mph at the time. I goosed my Accord into a downshift and something very peculiar happened.

As the RPM needle swung to around 5100, the Accord kind of shuddered and acted almost as if I had hit some sort of rev limiter. It's almost as if it hesitated at that speed. Sorry, but it's difficult to describe. And then, the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree!

I had many alternating warnings in the Orange Info Box. None of them appeared to be mission critical items and the car continued to handle/sound normally. I did exit to surface streets and proceed home without incident. The orange lights rotated through the following:

Tire Pressure Monitor Problem (TPMS)
Adaptive Cruise Control Problem (ACC)
Lane Departure Warning Problem (LDW)
Hill Start Assist Problem
Vehicle Stability Assist Problem (VSA)
Power Steering System Problem (EPS)
Emissions System Problem

In addition to these cycling one after the other, on the center orange info display area, the corresponding failure lights were also lit up on their respective symbols on the dashboard.

I really wasn't sure how to best perform a search for this on the forum, and came up empty so I'm asking for your help. I've scheduled an appointment online with Honda.

Car was purchased in September 2013 and currently has 1,800 miles on it. I've attached a dash photo. Just imagine all the above listed warnings alternating.

:dunno:
take it to the dealership asap and show them

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You post a thread "2013 Accord Touring - Unusual Problem - Please Help"

What "help" are you expecting to receive from forum members? Are you planning to repair the problem/s yourself?

As andres0603 advised, take your car to the dealer for repair. I am confident that your car will be repaired by your dealer.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You post a thread "2013 Accord Touring - Unusual Problem - Please Help"

What "help" are you expecting to receive from forum members? Are you planning to repair the problem/s yourself?

As andres0603 advised, take your car to the dealer for repair. I am confident that your car will be repaired by your dealer.
Hmmm, maybe someone else on the forum has experienced the same problem and OP would like to know the cause/resolution of their issues so a comparison to whatever the dealer says can be made?

Maybe it's a simple fix, like disconnecting the battery for a little bit?

Bottom line, it's a forum and they've posted for help/insight.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hmmm, maybe someone else on the forum has experienced the same problem and OP would like to know the cause/resolution of their issues so a comparison to whatever the dealer says can be made?

Maybe it's a simple fix, like disconnecting the battery for a little bit?

Bottom line, it's a forum and they've posted for help/insight.
Would you trust the simple fix of disconnecting the battery for a little bit?

I wouldn't trust it, as it does not fix the underlying problem. That to me is like telling someone to put a band aid on a melanoma.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
most likely the fault will be cured upon cycling the key. I've seen a few this way that could not be duplicated and did not leave trouble codes. since the sub harness in the steering wheel is known to have a potential short to ground we've just been replacing it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Would you trust the simple fix of disconnecting the battery for a little bit?

I wouldn't trust it, as it does not fix the underlying problem. That to me is like telling someone to put a band aid on a melanoma.
You can address something I said as an example but fail to read my other relevant point.

Anyway, good luck to you finding a resolution OP, whether it be from the forum and/or dealer.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Very problematic second post and critical replies are of no value.

Even if there is a simple fix, I think you already know a dealer visit is required. Some of the faults are potentially dangerous. I'm here pretty regularly and I don't recall coming across your particular problem.

Hopefully you'll get an answer other than "could not duplicate" and can help a similar poster in the future. It might not help them fix a "failure of the Alludium Q36 Space Modulator" on their own but could give them some peace of mind while waiting on their dealer visit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all, Thanks for your replies. You are correct in the assumption that I wasn't intending to attempt to repair this myself. I am just putting this out there for all to see, in case, someone has experienced this with their own V6 Accord Touring.

Here's further information:

Today, upon examination under the hood, I noticed large amounts of oil deposits on the alternator, lower engine area, and in the underlying plastic of the bumper that extends back to the edge of the engine area.

I checked the oil on level ground and ended up having to add 3 quarts of oil to the car to bring it to within 80% of the top bar. The car clearly, has an oil leak so this makes me wonder if the issues I experienced while accelerating were due to a lack of oil in the car.

Very disappointing and worrisome for a new Honda with 1800 miles on it. I wonder if damage has been done to the engine. Most of my driving to work (5 mile commute) is surface streets (45mph), so no extreme highway speeds. I'm also not an aggressive driver, so not a lot of high rev'ing going on behind the wheel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good info, I look forward to seeing what the dealer found.

Oh, and you mean you weren't looking to fix it yourself?? Kidding, asinine comment Cookieman...go grab another Oreo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Oh, and you mean you weren't looking to fix it yourself?? Kidding, asinine comment Cookieman...go grab another Oreo.
Hehe, I don't think I'm up for this one, sn8kman1 ;)

I did find another thread on the forum where people have been complaining about leaky rear head gaskets. One guy even said they had to replace the whole block! (God, I hope we don't have to go there.)

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80981&highlight=oil+leak

I am, however, pretty alarmed that at no time, the low oil warning light came on. Given the other electrical warnings, I'm experiencing, I wonder if there's a sensor issue with that monitoring area as well.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

Yes, you are right, I did not mean for it to sound that way. My fault.

·
Registered
534 Posts
. . .Here's further information: Today, upon examination under the hood, I noticed large amounts of oil deposits on the alternator, lower engine area, and in the underlying plastic of the bumper that extends back to the edge of the engine area. [Emphasis added.]
This additional information is very significant, to say the least.

. . .I checked the oil on level ground and ended up having to add 3 quarts of oil to the car to bring it to within 80% of the top bar. The car clearly, has an oil leak so this makes me wonder if the issues I experienced while accelerating were due to a lack of oil in the car.
Yes.

. . .Very disappointing and worrisome for a new Honda with 1800 miles on it. I wonder if damage has been done to the engine. . . . .
Based on what you've described, IMHO there's a distinct likelihood of some period of oil starvation. The only way to know for sure if this caused any (or significant) damage is to remove the valve covers and the oil pan and actually inspect for signs of oil starvation. It's unlikely, however, that your Honda dealer is going to do that initially. More likely, they will top up the oil level, reset the engine management unit, and send you on your way after advising you to return if you experience additional problems.

That's a reasonable approach, but were I you, I would do more. At a minimum, I'd get an oil sample. If you cannot do this yourself, take something with you to capture a sample, and insist that an oil sample be taken. You can send that off for analysis. Oil analyses are not expensive, and your results, good or bad, will give you a baseline, in addition to a copy of your service ticket reporting this incident, if you have any further issues. Personally, I think you will, but I'm speculating (based on experience, however), and even if the engine runs OK now, that may not be the case down the road. Modern engines can absorb a lot of abuse, but running one at high rpm with minimum oil, even briefly, can result in serious mechanical issues such as camshaft galling or main- and rod-bearing wear that will become evident in the future. There is real potential for this in an engine with an aluminum block, aluminum heads and Honda's piston-ring design.

I'm sorry you've experienced this problem with your new Honda, and wish you good luck in resolving this.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Hi all, Thanks for your replies. You are correct in the assumption that I wasn't intending to attempt to repair this myself. I am just putting this out there for all to see, in case, someone has experienced this with their own V6 Accord Touring.

Here's further information:

Today, upon examination under the hood, I noticed large amounts of oil deposits on the alternator, lower engine area, and in the underlying plastic of the bumper that extends back to the edge of the engine area.

I checked the oil on level ground and ended up having to add 3 quarts of oil to the car to bring it to within 80% of the top bar. The car clearly, has an oil leak so this makes me wonder if the issues I experienced while accelerating were due to a lack of oil in the car.

Very disappointing and worrisome for a new Honda with 1800 miles on it. I wonder if damage has been done to the engine. Most of my driving to work (5 mile commute) is surface streets (45mph), so no extreme highway speeds. I'm also not an aggressive driver, so not a lot of high rev'ing going on behind the wheel.
Was your car on or off when you checked the oil level?

Have you seen oil on the ground under the car? Your car has 1,800mi in 4 months, that tells me it sits a lot. If you lost 3 qts while sitting I suspect you would have seen spotting on the ground or smelled it burning on the block.

Jay

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Was your car on or off when you checked the oil level?

Have you seen oil on the ground under the car? Your car has 1,800mi in 4 months, that tells me it sits a lot. If you lost 3 qts while sitting I suspect you would have seen spotting on the ground or smelled it burning on the block.

Jay
Hi Jay,

I didn't see oil on the ground under the car and I did move it to level ground prior to checking the oil. What I did notice, however, was a lot of oil on the alternator, and lower part of the block. It gets driven regularly, but my one way commute to work is only about 6 miles. So, while the mileage is low, rarely does a day go by that it doesn't get driven somewhere close by.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
Your car has 1,800mi in 4 months, that tells me it sits a lot.
Car was purchased in September 2013 and currently has 1,800 miles on it.
Is this sentence correct?

I don't have an answer to your problem, except to see the dealer, but driving 1800 miles in 17 months could be part of the problem, especially if most of those miles were when you first bought the car.

Gasoline can destabilize over time and cause rough running, although, I'm not sure if it could be that rough.

·
?????
218 Posts
Is this sentence correct?

I don't have an answer to your problem, except to see the dealer, but driving 1800 miles in 17 months could be part of the problem, especially is most of those mile were when you first bought the car.

Gasoline can destabilize over time and cause fuel system problems.
what is wrong with those info? and how did you calculate 17 months from the info provided?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts