Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Maybe if it revved to 8500 and had the letters "NSX" on the back. All I know is it's plenty fast. Left a BMW 540 (V8) scratching his head about 2 hours ago when he lost a stoplight to stoplight against me
Well that's not saying a whole lot... if it was an e39, the V8's weren't much for performance.

·
Sexyland's Finest
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd just like to know what's making this Honda representative say this engine is capable of 400 ponies. Neither Honda or Acura offer more than 310 horses with this 3.5L on any models, so my inclination is to say he's full of it.

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
In the past, honda has added a supercharger to concept model accords. It's no surprise they get it past 400hp

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Sexyland's Finest
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the past, honda has added a supercharger to concept model accords. It's no surprise they get it past 400hp

Oh, I'm certain of that.
It's his wording, though: "It's capable of over 400 horsepower, but in the EX-L v6 it's actually toned down to an amazingly high number of 278"
Saying an engine is "toned down" is a far cry from "stripped of an artificial aspirator," you know what I mean?

American muscle isn't far from 400 horses at the crank these days on their 3.5(ish) liter v6's; I guess that's what made my ears perk up when I heard this claim for the Accord's v6.

I wonder what a person could get out of our modest Accord v6 engines while keeping things naturally aspirated. So far I've seen very little in the way of true performance modifications for the 9th Gen Accord.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well that's not saying a whole lot... if it was an e39, the V8's weren't much for performance.
Lol your funny those things arent made for performance, but they do have a big v8 with almost 300hp, and 320TQ so I wouldnt say that its really slow, plus if its stickshift can easily run 100mph on the quarter mile, and will run with E36 M3's , plus his 9th Gen Accord is an auto and both the bmw are manual , and the Honda could stil keep up.

·
Registered
884 Posts

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts
I wish they would get off their earth saving asses and produce one...
Or Comptech.

@maxdan the unfortunate thing was, his V8 sounded glorious. Better than my V6.. well.. I'm working on that. Gonna place an order for that Takeda Intake soon as I get this overtime check! Sound samples will come, I promise.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
It depends, mostly on what comes out regarding tuning. I haven't diven into the 9th gen motor yet as much as I like, but in the case of the 8th gen (and the motors are extremely similar, most parts will work on both), the CT Engineering Supercharger kit was pretty much bolt up -- maybe with some slight revisions needed to the bracket. The major issue was tuning. Standalones can always be wired, but it just cost more money than most wanted to pursue.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think 400 non-boosted hp would be problematic with the J35 single cam heads. They have long heavy rocker arms that would need very stiff springs for the 8000+ rpm that would be needed. Dual overhead cam heads would be needed to decrease valve train inertia and permit a more modern narrow valve angle.

I'd bet there aren't any Honda single cam car engines that put out more than the 79.4 hp/liter that our J35's make. 400 hp would be 114.3 hp/liter. The Honda S2000 needed well over 8000 rpm to make 120 hp/liter.

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
Off the top of my head, I can't recall any stock single cam honda engine to make more. However, Honda's single cam R18 engine have been boosted for quite a long time now. One in particular reaching 276hp, and I believe another that will be toward the 350hp range. Not bad for a single cam 1.8L engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts