Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi guy. So today I did my frist oil change, at 7,825 miles. I was waiting for the oil life, which was at 30% to reach at least 15% before changing it. According to the manual, engine must be run with factory oil until it reaches 15 - 10 % of its life before replacing. So for my surprise I decided to check the oil and make sure everything was ok and guess what?? Oil dipstick was almost dry. Oil level was a hair above the minimum level. When I first got the car oil was full, I checked for curiosity. So.....

Why is that?? This is my first accord v6 ever. I took it to the dealership and they changed my oil. The technician said this is normal. Now, is it? Have anybody here faced the same issue? Check you oil guys I read somewhere Honda screwed up on these Earthdreams engine, they tend to consume lots of oil.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I was freaking out at the beginning. I was afraid of causing excessive wear to my engine due to oil starvation. I guess now Ill change it after 5,000 miles. The technician also said that was because these cars use 0W-20 that is a really thin viscosity so he said it is normal. I dont trust stealerships so I wanted to feedback from the forum.

·
Registered
265 Posts
1 quart over almost 8k miles is nothing to worry about.
This. No issue at all here.

Keep an eye on it, but it's not a concern at this point.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hi guy. So today I did my frist oil change, at 7,825 miles. I was waiting for the oil life, which was at 30% to reach at least 15% before changing it. According to the manual, engine must be run with factory oil until it reaches 15 - 10 % of its life before replacing. So for my surprise I decided to check the oil and make sure everything was ok and guess what?? Oil dipstick was almost dry. Oil level was a hair above the minimum level. When I first got the car oil was full, I checked for curiosity. So.....
So you are telling us that you didn't check your oil for 7825 miles?

Your dipstick was not almost dry, as you said it "was a hair above the minimum line."

My '13 V-6 used about the same amount during the same mileage, but has not used any oil since the first oil change.

Check your oil on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
^^ ++ what cookieman said. My V6 used about a quart by the first oil change. It has not consumed a drop since

·
Registered
834 Posts
The puzzling part of this whole thing is the move to 0W oils was sold to the public as necessary to increase fuel efficiency. Well, that is bull because whatever little savings are gained in fuel usage is lost (and then some) by dumping a quart of oil or more into the engine between oil changes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My check oil light came on at 606miles on my 2012 Si. I was adding a quart of oil a week dealer didn't do anything until 3 months later. They replaced rings and pistons. This was one of the reasons of trading out and getting Accord. I have EX-L i4 I'm 16k car and I have NOT had to add oil. I check weekly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a lot guy for the input. I guess now I'll be keep and eye on it. Hopefully my will do same as you guys, not consume a lot after first oil change. I didnt checked it because I though I didnt need to because is a brand new car.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Well I was freaking out at the beginning. I was afraid of causing excessive wear to my engine due to oil starvation. I guess now Ill change it after 5,000 miles. The technician also said that was because these cars use 0W-20 that is a really thin viscosity so he said it is normal. I dont trust stealerships so I wanted to feedback from the forum.
No need to worry about oil starvation. As long as the oil level is above the minimum level on the dip stick the oil pump will get all the oil it needs, even in a hard corner.

Curious question…. Several forum members mentioned their engines “lost” oil during the break-in period but only then - not after the first oil change. Is it possible that the rings promoted oil loss until they seated properly? Just a thought. Honda insists that we use their break-in oil for a reason. Perhaps it is because the engine must actually break-in. This initial oil loss may be evidence of that.

20W oil is thin (the 0W or 5W component in 0W20 or 5W20 is irrelevant), but 20W it is not THAT thin. The car industry has pushed 20W oil now for well over decade. A new engine should not burn oil, even 20W oil. I'd be curious to learn what happens during your next oil change interval.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
20W oil is thin (the 0W or 5W component in 0W20 or 5W20 is irrelevant), but 20W it is not THAT thin. The car industry has pushed 20W oil now for well over decade. A new engine should not burn oil, even 20W oil. I'd be curious to learn what happens during your next oil change interval.
Yes, new engines can burn oil until they break in. I consider that normal.

At my next oil change interval, no oil had been burned. Oil was still on the full mark when I had it changed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No need to worry about oil starvation. As long as the oil level is above the minimum level on the dip stick the oil pump will get all the oil it needs, even in a hard corner.

Curious question…. Several forum members mentioned their engines “lost” oil during the break-in period but only then - not after the first oil change. Is it possible that the rings promoted oil loss until they seated properly? Just a thought. Honda insists that we use their break-in oil for a reason. Perhaps it is because the engine must actually break-in. This initial oil loss may be evidence of that.

Sure. I'l be happy to give an update after a few miles. I just changed my oil yesterday, seems even after the first interval has passed the engine wont starve, it is very probable that the car was like that way before I hit the oil change mileage. I like your hypothesis, it makes a lot of sence actually. I know factory oil is very high on Zinc to help the engine break in. I was actually expecting about 10-15% oil life by 7500 miles but at 7800 I was still at 30%, maybe is becuase my car is 90% of the time in highway.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I know factory oil is very high on Zinc to help the engine break in. I was actually expecting about 10-15% oil life by 7500 miles but at 7800 I was still at 30%, maybe is because my car is 90% of the time in highway.
Actually, modern API SN rated motor oil has Zinc, limited to around 800 ppm by the API SN standards. Factory Honda oil UOA (used oil analysis) 2013 Honda CRV 6525K miles, shows zinc @ 803 ppm.

Refer to this UOA:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3162848

·
Banned
177 Posts
My 07 Camry 2.4L drank 1 qt every 500 miles so I take 1 qt every 8000 miles any day. I am sure your 14 Camry LE consumes at least 1 qt every 8000-10000 miles.
1 qt every 500 miles
:jawdrop:...
at 23K my 12 camry consumes no oil, my 2001 accord didn't burn any oil either.
2007 camry with 90K on the clock was burning 1/2-3/4 qt every 10K and 2007 passat with 20K miles on the clock was burning 1qt every 3K miles and per VW stuff that was "excessive oil consumption", even though "The bible" was stating "up to 1qt per 1000 miles" is normal.
so IMHO 1 qt per 8K miles, considering that OP's car is practically brand new, is not normal, unless, oil didn't drain down completely or he didn't insert a dipstick all the way in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts