Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Consumer Reports' writeup of the 2013 Honda Accord includes this statement about the V6:
"Buyers who want a bit more performance can opt for the 278-hp, 3.5-liter V6, which uses "variable cylinder management" to improve fuel economy. Under low-load situations, such as highway cruising, three of the cylinders are shut down. This results in a moaning sound and some rough vibrations, typically occurring around 1,800-2,000 RPM."

Do those who own the 2013 or 2014 V6 find that there is "a moaning sound and some rough vibrations" at the stated RPMs? I did not get a chance for any extended cruising in the test drive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not on mine. But I also don't really see any fuel economy improvement using the ECO button, or minimal. I rarely use it. Maybe I just have too much of a lead foot.

Black V6 EXL Touring Sedan

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
First post huh? Troll!!!

Honda Motor Co's redesigned 2013 Accord tops the U.S. mid-size class for four-cylinder sedans, according to Consumer Reports, edging the Toyota Camry and Hyundai Sonata.

The six-cylinder version of the 2013 Accord is nearly as good, the independent product testing organization said on Tuesday. The vehicle challenges the Camry V6 and Camry Hybrid for the top spot in the group's overall ratings of mid-size cars.

The Accord's 3.5-liter V6 "is super smooth and quite powerful," according to the magazine, and can out-accelerate some sports cars.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My V6 does what the OP described but it's almost too subtle to notice.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ive heard some others complaining about what op says but have never experienced it myself. Never will either :banana: (MT)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not on mine. But I also don't really see any fuel economy improvement using the ECO button, or minimal. I rarely use it. Maybe I just have too much of a lead foot.

Black V6 EXL Touring Sedan
To be clear, the cylinder deactivation (VCM) occurs whether if Econ is enabled or not. It is meant to deactivate three of the cylinders during low engine loads, and cannot be disabled.

With that said, I do experience it, but have gotten used to it to the point where it doesn't really bother me. The sensation has been equated to riding over rumble strips, and I do tend to agree; although it is not quite as jarring as actually driving over them.

·
2013 EX-L V6 Coupe
2 Posts
I've heard and felt it many times on my '13 EX-L V6 Coupe. It's not too annoying since I understand that it is a transition mode when going into VCM and usually happens in the overdrive 6th gear on the freeway. You can notice VCM in the MPG efficiency numbers on the trip/performance screen. I'm with most others about Econ mode button. I don't notice any difference yet but I'll keep playing with it on longer freeway trips to continue testing it. I leave it off unless I'm on the freeway. So far only 4500 miles my wonderful new machine.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I noticed the "boom," along with a little vibration, when the car was brand new, but I think things have broken in, plus I don't notice it as much as I first did; I was aware of what it was, and let my dealer know my concerns--they stated that it should go away with time, and to bring it back if it got worse. They were right--Honda's gotten the VCM stuff right! Now, I just get a tiny growl when VCM kicks in. As I've stated elsewhere on this board, if the engine wears as well, and is as reliable as, my other Hondas, I can deal with the little VCM quirks. (Just to be sure, I'll be getting a Blackstone UOA done when I finally change out the factory fill, which is still @ 50% on the Maintenance Minder! The 2006 in my sig's M/M was spot-on, "Accord"-ing :lmao: to a couple of Blackstone's UOAs I had done, so I presume this car will be likewise. :banana: )

I've also had a tiny bit of oil consumption--maybe half a pint--which is to be expected, and after some break-in, as of ~5K miles, I haven't lost any more! (Thank goodness--do you know how hard it is to find synthetic-blend 0W-20, at least where I am?! :eek: Only option is to head to a Honda dealer, as an AutoZone down the street from me doesn't even have 5W-20 dino (or synthetic) juice, IIRC.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the postings. Obviously Consumer Reports is very positive about the car, and it sounds as though it is neither out of the normal or exactly as they described it. As I said, I did not notice any noises on a test drive, but I did not cruise at a constant RPM on the highway, I was just testing the car to feel the acceleration in the V6 over the four cylinder. I liked its performance and am considering getting one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've only had my V6 auto coupe for a couple weeks but in spite of trying to replicate what CR and others have noticed when VCM is activated I've yet to notice anything.......if it's happening I haven't noticed.

This car is Honda engineering at its best.

·
Luv2Drum
119 Posts
I'm with Feliz on this . I've been trying to notice when VCM kicks in and so far have not distinguished it. I've had mine for a month now. :dunno:

Now for the downshifting of the 6 speed, which mimics lite braking at slower speeds, certainly noticeable, but still no shudder.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have an exl v6 w/navi and I also feel the vibrations around the rpm the OP has stated. Also the engine braking at low speeds(let's say approaching a red light). I will say that I'm at 5,000 miles and the vibration is either slightly less or I just got used to it, I don't know.

·
Registered
113 Posts
First post huh? Troll!!!

Honda Motor Co's redesigned 2013 Accord tops the U.S. mid-size class for four-cylinder sedans, according to Consumer Reports, edging the Toyota Camry and Hyundai Sonata.

The six-cylinder version of the 2013 Accord is nearly as good, the independent product testing organization said on Tuesday. The vehicle challenges the Camry V6 and Camry Hybrid for the top spot in the group's overall ratings of mid-size cars.

The Accord's 3.5-liter V6 "is super smooth and quite powerful," according to the magazine, and can out-accelerate some sports cars.

wow sound like an apology is in order, calling someone a troll, when the condition does exist

yes i also have felt and heard as well, but its subtle.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I hear the VCM vibrations. Feels similar to a standard when you up shift too quickly an it's starving for fuel. The engine breaking issue is much worst. It's very aggressive and kills the "smooth" rating most are giving it. It's obvious by the owners on this forum that not all Accords were built the same. If you can't feel the VCM symptoms or the engine breaking, you have a different build that I wish I had.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I've only ever driven an Odyssey with the VCM, and did notice a slight vibration when the VCM cut in and out. It was kind of like driving a hybrid and having it go from gas to electric.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
around 60kph, if I am driving a constant speed, on a flat surface, I can notice just a slight hum as vcm kicks in. But this is an OCD thing! Honestly, normal driving, normal non-OCD people will never notice. The V6 is an incredibly smooth engine and so much smoother over the 4cyl version.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello....

VCM can be felt; at least I can feel it.....when it dis-engages. In other words.....when it goes from 3 cylinders to 6 cylinders.

Say you are cruising at 60 MPH on a level road. If I decide to accelerate even just a little....I feel a sensation very similar to the AC compressor kicking in. Just a momentary lag or sag in power.....never to be felt again once acceleration is underway.

There is also just the slightest hint of the vibration (shudder) that some posters report feeling. I think my car is getting slightly worse in that respect as the mileage accumulates. (15k at this writing)

I am not really bothered by it....my mileage is exemplary and I thank the engineers who made that possible.

ENGINE BRAKING IS ANOTHER MATTER!!

Engine braking on my V6 Auto Transmission vehicle is very very annoying. It occurs at 40, 30 and 17 MPH. It is VERY annoying at slow speeds.....say 15-25 MPH such as would be typical on residential streets.

Hard to imagine how Honda would feel such performance is acceptable; even harder to imagine how some posters here keep defending it as appropriate.

It's not appropriate on my car; IMHO.

Chuck

·
Registered
426 Posts
Needless to say, the V6 is not as smooth as some would like, myself included. This along with periodic stalling during turning have become a bit annoying.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hello....

VCM can be felt; at least I can feel it.....when it dis-engages. In other words.....when it goes from 3 cylinders to 6 cylinders.

Say you are cruising at 60 MPH on a level road. If I decide to accelerate even just a little....I feel a sensation very similar to the AC compressor kicking in. Just a momentary lag or sag in power.....never to be felt again once acceleration is underway.

There is also just the slightest hint of the vibration (shudder) that some posters report feeling. I think my car is getting slightly worse in that respect as the mileage accumulates. (15k at this writing)

I am not really bothered by it....my mileage is exemplary and I thank the engineers who made that possible.

ENGINE BRAKING IS ANOTHER MATTER!!

Engine braking on my V6 Auto Transmission vehicle is very very annoying. It occurs at 40, 30 and 17 MPH. It is VERY annoying at slow speeds.....say 15-25 MPH such as would be typical on residential streets.

Hard to imagine how Honda would feel such performance is acceptable; even harder to imagine how some posters here keep defending it as appropriate.

It's not appropriate on my car; IMHO.

Chuck

When you want to coast, are you taking your foot completely off the throttle? What gear is it in when it does this?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts