Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my new winter tire and rim combo today. I went with the 215/55R-17 Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT on 17x7.5 Sport Edition F11 Rims.

The rims were not my first choice but, after speaking with Nick at the Tire Rack I was sold. On this size Sport Edition F11 no centering rings are needed as the hub bore is the some diameter as the stock 17" accord rim. It just bolts on. Also, the lugnut seat is the same so you can reuse the OE lugs and lug wrench. It was te only rim they offered in the price range I was in that did this. So I am thrilled with them.

I have not put more than 4 miles on them so I can not report on how I like the tires yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
Good to hear & smart move and they look great! I am thinking same on my new Accord just purchased. Always put winter tires/alloys on my last 2 BMWs so may do same with the Accord. I'm trying though to find used ones for sale first. I live in Northwest NJ with numerous hills and 23 mile work commute one way

·
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to hear & smart move and they look great! I am thinking same on my new Accord just purchased. Always put winter tires/alloys on my last 2 BMWs so may do same with the Accord. I'm trying though to find used ones for sale first. I live in Northwest NJ with numerous hills and 23 mile work commute one way

Thanks. I bought winter rims and tires for our Odyssey, too. I bought them from the Tire Rack and they came with centering rings installed, new lug nuts and a lug adapter. The lugnuts are because the stock Oddy lugs are 22mm and according to the advisor an odd seat that is not compatible with most aftermarket rims. The new lug nuts are 19mm not 22mm. I'm ok with that but I had to explain to my wife that in case of a flat the AAA person would have to use the adapter, and make sure the centering ring came off the hub before the spare can go on. She says she understands. Had I known the lug nuts would have been different size and not compatible with the stock lugs I may have looked for used stock rims.

But, over all I'm happy with both and I may be worrying about an event that may never happen.

Pic of the Oddy on its winter hoops.

Attachments

·
Banned
784 Posts
Thanks. I bought winter rims and tires for our Odyssey, too. I bought them from the Tire Rack and they came with centering rings installed, new lug nuts and a lug adapter. The lugnuts are because the stock Oddy lugs are 22mm and according to the advisor an odd seat that is not compatible with most aftermarket rims. The new lug nuts are 19mm not 22mm. I'm ok with that but I had to explain to my wife that in case of a flat the AAA person would have to use the adapter, and make sure the centering ring came off the hub before the spare can go on. She says she understands. Had I known the lug nuts would have been different size and not compatible with the stock lugs I may have looked for used stock rims.

But, over all I'm happy with both and I may be worrying about an event that may never happen.

Pic of the Oddy on its winter hoops.
How come your Odyssey looks like a hearse in white?

·
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How come your Odyssey looks like a hearse in white?
:dunno:

It has a roof rack and side moldings that most don't. Maybe that is making it look different?

I've been looking and the pic thinking that I do like the look it in that particular pic.

Jay

·
Banned
694 Posts
The wheels on the Accord look nice. Have a factory look to them.

You stay with the stock offset or went a bit aggressive?

·
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The wheels on the Accord look nice. Have a factory look to them.

You stay with the stock offset or went a bit aggressive?
The offset is slightly different than stock buy as close to stock as I could get with what was available. I think it's a 6mm difference. They are pushed out a little to the corners. From the front it looks good, but not over done. IMO it looks right. Same with the van.

I also have an Odyssey.
Not sure why it looks like a hearse to ya. What color do you have?

Jay

·
Registered
114 Posts
Installed my winters today as well !! Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Alloy wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Luxury vehicle

·
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well I spent my budget on summer tires and wheels so I went cheap for the winters, picked up a set of 17" fast aluminum wheels for $140 and I got Sailun - Ice Blazer WST1 - 215/55R17 94T..... Paid $545.52 with install and everything ..... Went for a little drive with them today and they are decent, roads were wet and they stuck decently! The snow will be the real test

·
144ci of Japanese Muscle!
162 Posts
The offset is slightly different than stock buy as close to stock as I could get with what was available. I think it's a 6mm difference.
Do you know the width and the offset? I'm looking into re-using some 17X7.5 wheels from another application but I don't know if the offset will work.

·
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you know the width and the offset? I'm looking into re-using some 17X7.5 wheels from another application but I don't know if the offset will work.
These are the specs for the winter rims.

Offset: 48mm
Backspacing: 5.59"
Bolt Pattern: 5-114
Rec. Tire Size:215/55-17
Weight: 21.2lbs.

The width should be 7.5"

that looks great!
Thanks. My neighbor told me to swap the tires to the OE rims and run these rims in the summer.

Jay

·
162 Posts
These are the specs for the winter rims.

Offset: 48mm
Backspacing: 5.59"
My "extra" 17x7.5 wheels have an offset of 42mm and a backspacing of 5.94", so they'd stick out a little more... probably not much of a big deal (or a bad thing). Interestingly, when I looked at the numbers for the various 7.5" wheels recommended by Tire Rack, many were 48mm but a bunch more were 40mm, and a few values in between, such as the 42mm for my wheels. Some were even 38. More interestingly is some wheels with different offset having the same backspacing and vice versa.... Maybe I'll just bolt them up in the garage and see how it looks.

Not understanding how wheels of the same width and the same backspacing can have different offsets, though. Does not compute.

Did you compute the "ideal" offset/backspacing values? You said the offset was 6mm off of ideal and that the wheels stuck out more than stock. If that's the case, then my wheels would be a full half-inch from the ideal (12mm).

·
Banned
694 Posts
I know between 38-40 offset the wheels will sit pretty flush to the edge of the wheel well opening. The rears I've noticed with Japanese cars always needs a bit more to look even with the fronts. Nothing a 3mm or 5mm spacer can't fix.

·
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My "extra" 17x7.5 wheels have an offset of 42mm and a backspacing of 5.94", so they'd stick out a little more... probably not much of a big deal (or a bad thing). Interestingly, when I looked at the numbers for the various 7.5" wheels recommended by Tire Rack, many were 48mm but a bunch more were 40mm, and a few values in between, such as the 42mm for my wheels. Some were even 38. More interestingly is some wheels with different offset having the same backspacing and vice versa.... Maybe I'll just bolt them up in the garage and see how it looks.

Not understanding how wheels of the same width and the same backspacing can have different offsets, though. Does not compute.

Did you compute the "ideal" offset/backspacing values? You said the offset was 6mm off of ideal and that the wheels stuck out more than stock. If that's the case, then my wheels would be a full half-inch from the ideal (12mm).
Stock offset is +55. When I looked at these rims and saw that it was 7mm (.275") to the outside I decided that I was OK with that. That is about the extent of my calcs. I was just glad that was not going to need centering rings, new rim specific lugs and a lug adapter.

I hope this help, I wish I could give you more info to work with.

Jay. :)

·
162 Posts
Stock offset is +55. When I looked at these rims and saw that it was 7mm (.275") to the outside I decided that I was OK with that. That is about the extent of my calcs. I was just glad that was not going to need centering rings, new rim specific lugs and a lug adapter.
I assume you mean that the stock offset is 55 with 7.5" wheels. If so, that more or less adds up to the half-inch extra positive offset I reckoned for the wheels I have, which have (fortunately) found work on two prior cars of mine, and maybe now this one, too. I would need the trim rings but already have appropriate lug nuts. Now, just need to convince myself that I need snows.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts