1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the HSK 165XL and they fit in my 2013 Honda Civic EX-L, but I had to build a spacer, which I did out of 3/4" MDF. I just took them out of that car and about to install them in my 2014 Accord EX-L. I will make them fit.

I don't know that I will get to it this week, but when I do, I will probably post something here in the forum. Maybe I can take time to look in the next couple of days, because I am curious, but I suspect I will have to build some kind of spacer again. If I remember correctly on the Civic, the door opening was not big enough, but the spacer got it far enough out to make it fit okay. As best I can remember, there was no issue with the window track.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Ok thanks for the feedback. Do you suspect the tweeter will fit into the sail panel?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just use your factory speakers as the spacer and gut all of the cone\magnet\whatever and Dremel out the remaining plastic until the speaker will sit flush on it. You may also have to shave away some interior plastic on your door panel on the speaker grille in order to have it fit correctly. Also the tweeters will not fit behind your sail panels in the door as they are built deep. You will probably have to install them flush mount without using the brackets that come with the speaker using a Dremel to cut out the hole. Use hot glue to affix the tweeter. This is a very easy mod and if done correctly, it will look very stock in the end. I have the HSK165xls front stage and HCX165 rear stage and they sound incredible. Before the mod, purchase a couple extra sail panels from Honda. They are not expensive at all, if memory serves, they should be about 5-9 bucks a piece.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah... the sail panels are cheap.

I did see someone else that had these in the sails with no issues though... or thought I did somewhere. Maybe not.

I was going to use the door speaker spacer like you suggest, but decided I would keep the factory speakers in case I decide to take the Hertz out later, but I suspect they will have run their usefulness by the time I get rid of this car. Factory replacements probably don't cost much either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have one of the sail panels off. Will simply have to cut out the opening larger to make it flush mount nicely with the HT28 tweeter.

The HT28 is about the same depth as the factory tweeter. If it had a mesh screen it would fit from behind if it were not larger in diameter. The trim that holds the factory tweeter in place, also hold the trim ring in place, so it can't be removed.

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts

Ok thanks for the feedback. Do you suspect the tweeter will fit into the sail panel?
I hace a 13 Accord sport and all I did was order the EX sails and installed the Hertz tweeter in that and it looks stock. I had to trim the hole a little and they just snap in . I can post a pic if you want

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would like to see it. How did you go about the trimming process without accidentally getting the hole too big? There ain't much room for error with the very small lip on the HT28 tweeter.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With these components, should I deaden the entire door or just behind the speaker?

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Process is pretty much identical for the 8th gens as the 9th gens...

Pop off the sail panels, remove the tweeters, pop off the mesh covering (May have to break a few tabs holding this on, but that is okay as you glue them together) Dremel wider the opening until the tweeter barely fits through, and do the same to the mesh covering. superglue the mesh covering to the sail, and finally hot glue the tweeter to the sail.

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the pictures. Since I don't have them, how do the speakers sound? Not sure if the are better powered by an A/B or D amp.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Metal will need to be cut to fit the mids.Simplicity In Sound did a couple of Accords and metal was cut to fit 6.5'' mids.Probably the only brand that makes a 6.5'' comp set with the smallest mounting cut out are the Polks coming in at 5''.I'm running 5.25'' Silver Flutes up front and still had to cut some metal around the opening as well as some of the window track using .75'' MDF spacing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. Since I don't have them, how do the speakers sound? Not sure if the are better powered by an A/B or D amp.

Sound outstanding! All of the above for the class of amp since I am running an audison voce 5.1k. (A/B for front\rear stage and D for subs) I've taken a leap of faith when purchasing mine as well and have not looked back. in my 8th gen, I did not have to cut any metal at all for installing.

·
Mod it or don't drive it
965 Posts
I have the HSK 165XL and they fit in my 2013 Honda Civic EX-L, but I had to build a spacer, which I did out of 3/4" MDF. I just took them out of that car and about to install them in my 2014 Accord EX-L. I will make them fit.

I don't know that I will get to it this week, but when I do, I will probably post something here in the forum. Maybe I can take time to look in the next couple of days, because I am curious, but I suspect I will have to build some kind of spacer again. If I remember correctly on the Civic, the door opening was not big enough, but the spacer got it far enough out to make it fit okay. As best I can remember, there was no issue with the window track.
With that 3/4 spacer, how far from the door molding is the front face of the speaker? I want to know if these will fit with a 3/4 spacer:

https://www.woofersetc.com/p-10999-cxs62-v2-image-dynamics-65-arc-fd2100-amp-combo.aspx

THe HSK 165XL have a mouting depth of 69mm.
The CXS62 v2 have a mounting depth of 76.2mm.

Is there room for a spacer that's a full inch thick?

·
Registered
10 Posts
It would be the same as the factory, because the factory spacer is about an inch deep.

The pictures I am seeing above of the square mesh grill in the sail panel is NOT what the 2014 sail panels look like. The one I have in my 2014 EX-L has a round mesh grill. In order for the HT28 tweeter to fit, the round mounting plate that fit over the round mesh grill will have to be trimmed back, you will not be a square mesh grill behind the tweeter like you see above, which should look neater too.

·
Mod it or don't drive it
965 Posts
It would be the same as the factory, because the factory spacer is about an inch deep.

The pictures I am seeing above of the square mesh grill in the sail panel is NOT what the 2014 sail panels look like. The one I have in my 2014 EX-L has a round mesh grill. In order for the HT28 tweeter to fit, the round mounting plate that fit over the round mesh grill will have to be trimmed back, you will not be a square mesh grill behind the tweeter like you see above, which should look neater too.
Do I need to cut anything to get the woofer to fit that has a 3" mounting depth if I use the 1 inch spacer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have not tried it yet... been too cold here lately. Snow on the ground right now... in south Alabama of all things.

From what I understand, and I am pretty sure I read it here or another Honda forum, you can trim out the factory speaker and use the factory spacer. The trim ring on the Hertz midbass driver is very thin, so it should work fine, if you do not care about keeping the factory speakers for later.

I also have not measured the spacer depth, but a guess based on my Civic door speakers. It could only be 3/4", but whatever it is, it should work fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts