Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my friend who have HFP EX-L coupe got stolen the other night. Since this i recommend everyone to get theft alarm or something that would keep the car away from the thief. I am guessing the 9th gen honda's are easy to steal, this is the 3rd person i know that happened to.:dunno::thumbsdow

·
Registered
199 Posts
Holy shit, good thing i purchased the alarm offered from honda (free of charge of course). If my Sport gets stolen at least my insurance will give me a little more back

·
Registered
43 Posts
So my friend who have HFP EX-L coupe got stolen the other night. Since this i recommend everyone to get theft alarm or something that would keep the car away from the thief. I am guessing the 9th gen honda's are easy to steal, this is the 3rd person i know that happened to.:dunno::thumbsdow
It is more easy to stole a car with Smart Key??:dunno:

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Alarms don't really help that much because false car alarms going off have become commonplace and your neighbors will just ignore it. The crooks can always get your car if they want it. They have black boxes or flatbed trucks to haul it away. These are organized gangs that run chop shops and sell the parts globally not just some kids going on a Joy ride. If it makes you feel better by putting another alarm system on the car then enjoy yourself. It's like putting on a band aid when you have skin cancer. Locking up the car in a garage is the only good protection from theft and even that might not be good enough if the crooks find out where your car is parked. That's why we buy comprehensive insurance coverage.

Are you sure your friend made the payments and it wasn't the repo man? :banana:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
i don't think it's widespread. these black box thieves most likely have an inside source to bypass the immobilizer on the smart key.

your buddy made himself a target with expensive rims.

even with shock sensor alarms and aftermarket crap all you have to do is kill the power to the vehicle. damage the battery from the underside of the car.

alarms deter fools. nothing deters pros. so just make sure you go with a quality insurer if you want to make your car flashy.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
I saw a news story where guys have come up with black boxes to open cars and go. Cant remember if it was 60 Minuets or what. Anything electronic can be hacked.
Black boxes, pffft. I bet most of these thieves are using tow trucks. So much easier, doesn't draw a lot of attention, quick and easy, especially if people don't set the parking brake...

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
Hmmm... That's funny, insurance companies don't have this car listed as even a potential threat for being sought after car by thief's. Therefore it's statistically NOT a common car that was stolen in 2013, call you insurance company and ask or lookup the data yourself. All cars are a potential treat to be stolen by some asshole out there.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Hmmm... That's funny, insurance companies don't have this car listed as even a potential threat for being sought after car by thief's. Therefore it's statistically NOT a common car that was stolen in 2013, call you insurance company and ask or lookup the data yourself. All cars are a potential treat to be stolen by some asshole out there.
I had the exact same feedback from my insurance company.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i don't think it's widespread. these black box thieves most likely have an inside source to bypass the immobilizer on the smart key.

even with shock sensor alarms and aftermarket crap all you have to do is kill the power to the vehicle. damage the battery from the underside of the car.

alarms deter fools. nothing deters pros. so just make sure you go with a quality insurer if you want to make your car flashy.

very well put.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can't they track the car?
It is more easy to stole a car with Smart Key??:dunno:
Yea his car is EX L which have the smart key. They say smart keys are easier to steal with the black box.
I saw a news story where guys have come up with black boxes to open cars and go. Cant remember if it was 60 Minuets or what. Anything electronic can be hacked.
Yup the blackbox that they hold on to and all they have to do is touch the door handle and it opens the door.

Alarms don't really help that much because false car alarms going off have become commonplace and your neighbors will just ignore it. The crooks can always get your car if they want it. They have black boxes or flatbed trucks to haul it away. These are organized gangs that run chop shops and sell the parts globally not just some kids going on a Joy ride. If it makes you feel better by putting another alarm system on the car then enjoy yourself. It's like putting on a band aid when you have skin cancer. Locking up the car in a garage is the only good protection from theft and even that might not be good enough if the crooks find out where your car is parked. That's why we buy comprehensive insurance coverage.

Are you sure your friend made the payments and it wasn't the repo man? :banana:
i agree with you alarms don't do anything other then beep and people tend to ignore it thinking its false alarm. Thats why i lock up my car in the garage. Well they found his car in Montreal port that the car was about to be shipped out of canada. He got his car back with all his belongings missing inside. So i am sure its not the Repo man :banana:

thats true since have *** he got some nice black rims.:dunno:

·
Registered
394 Posts
The second 2013+ Accord stolen reported on here in matter of days. I'm glad I got the LoJack security system installed in case someone did try to steal my car.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I'm not spending a dime for an alarm. I send enough for insurance. (oh if your car gets stolen you'll spend more-maybe but an alarm won't help that) If an alarm could assure me of truly reduced theft rates, mayhap. I have a factory alarm and an antitheft chip ignition. A pro with a lift will take what they want as mentioned before. Nothing will stop them. Oh, I know, I'll get a Club, that will do it.

The best thing is a GPS tracker. One could hide and wire up a cheap iPod to a hot wire so it always charges and just locate by using "Find My iPod". Would that really work?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The second 2013+ Accord stolen reported on here in matter of days. I'm glad I got the LoJack security system installed in case someone did try to steal my car.
Unfortunately, the professional crooks know where LoJack is located on the car and disable it before disassembling your car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Unfortunately, the professional crooks know where LoJack is located on the car and disable it before disassembling your car.
Lojack installers doesn't install their chip in the same location. It could be anywhere in your car, even the car owner doesn't know where it is installed.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Not always possible, but for me, I work at a safe strip mall and my neighborhood is very safe as well with a garage. One night my garage door was open all night with doors unlocked and thankfully my car was still there.

Can't always be lucky if someone truly wants your car.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I like the idea of LoJack. I have never had a car stolen in 34 years of driving so I will continue the status quo.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts