Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys a question about putting snow cables on a 2013 Honda Accord Sport with 6MT.

I grew up on East coast and have driven up to mountains in many front wheel drive vehicles in high snow and blizzard conditions. They do not shut roads down. I have a lot of experience in driving in deep snow and ice.

I live in the CA Bay Area now and in the Lake Tahoe Region they routinely shut down roads whether it is a dusting or a high snow situation and make drivers who do not have AWD or 4WD put chains on their vehicles.

A question.... Will it damage the vehicle if you put cables on PROPERLY in a snow situation in which the roads are shut down? I was told by my dealer that it will and will void the warranty (although I don't know how they would know).

I haven't seen any feedback on this in searches.... Thanks

·
2013 Accord Sport
33 Posts
Shut Down Roads?

sj_skier... my opinion. If you grew up in the North East (NH, VT, CT) you definitely know how to drive in ice/snow. I say.... buy the chains and put them on when asked & then immediately take them off once you are out of sight :). Shut down roads???

·
Registered
884 Posts
Void your warranty *rolls eyes*

·
Stock Pssh...Yeah right!
301 Posts
I recall my dealer telling me to use snow cable and not chains for snow. Something about they will ruin the fender well or something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check Manual page 533

The owners manual suggest using tire cables. Look on page 533 of the manual under winter tires.

When shopping for cars and eventually buying my Accord Sport if I ever mentioned the word "chains" the dealers freaked out and said would void warranty. Usually they would then say you have to use cables.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Wow. I've never heard of snow cables.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Technically, chains usually go on trucks and SUVs. The cars normally use snow cables. Just use the chains/cables as directed in the manuals. Don't drive fast. It should be as hard on tires as driving on gravel road. If you're worried about tires too much, go past the check point, then take them off.. lol.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Good luck either way...I live in NYC and my 6MT sport SUCKED in the snow...I have a CVT sport now and I'm curious too see how's it's going too handle once we do get hit with a snowstorm..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am heading to Yosemite in winter and I will need snow chain/cables due to road restrictions. I have a 2014 Accord Sport 235/45-18 and the manual says to go with SC Radials but reviews for the cables are not awesome. Is there a clearance issue that would prevent me from getting better rated chains like the Super Z6? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
One issue I can see with snow chains/cables on low profile tires is the hardware missing the sidewall of the rubber and coming in contact with the rims. You do not want metal on metal contact. Do yourself a favor and get a winter set with 17s. More sidewall to absorb the winter potholes, more sidewall to accommodate chains, narrower to cut through the slush, also rubber not hard like a hockey puck and can actually hold the road. Studdable tires also give you the option to add studs, which come in super handy on ice. I might sound like a tire salesman, I assure you I am not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One issue I can see with snow chains/cables on low profile tires is the hardware missing the sidewall of the rubber and coming in contact with the rims. You do not want metal on metal contact. Do yourself a favor and get a winter set with 17s. More sidewall to absorb the winter potholes, more sidewall to accommodate chains, narrower to cut through the slush, also rubber not hard like a hockey puck and can actually hold the road. Studdable tires also give you the option to add studs, which come in super handy on ice. I might sound like a tire salesman, I assure you I am not.
I forgot to account for metal on metal contact. Thanks for the recommendation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts