Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story Short... Jersey City NJ.... [email protected]#$ stole my Stock OEM wheels.. all 4... had wheel locks.. but they broke into the car with drivers side glass broken. the unlocker was in the trunk hidden in the spare wheel under the carpet... they got it and stole the wheels.. They badly wanted the wheels i guess..

Now, Sad part is.. the alarm din go! cos they did not open the door!!! What crap is the security feature on the car then? if they opened the back trunk it shudd have gone on..! What are your views..

I am keeping the car in garage after this incident.. but I wanna go for viper security with tilt and proximity sensors... Is it reallyt worth it? i have heard that tilt sensors can go crazy when parked on a slope.

Please advice... What should i do? is OEM security any use? where do i keep the wheel unlocker ( i know these guys know where to look for but still)

Thank You

·
Registered
493 Posts
That really ****! I thought the security system should have gone off when the glass is broken and especially when the trunk is open.

·
matt
276 Posts
thats insane. sorry to hear about that. im not sure of the tilt alarm, but ive had viper alarms in the past and liked them. a simple thump on the window or something makes it chirp.

I am going to hide my wheel locks someplace now, i have them in my glovebox which i guess isnt smart.

Hope everything works out for you.

Are you going to turn this into an unplanned upgrade??

·
Registered
808 Posts
In the meantime, what have you done? Or is it still on blocks/the ground?

·
Retired from Car Biz....
7,278 Posts
The wheel locks are a dealer profit item and don't deter a good theft ring at all. All they are good for is the local meth/crank head who has no idea how to steal things...They sell the star adapter at any auto parts store, and with a cordless impact wrench and a team of 3 pro thieves, they can strip wheels in 3 min like a Hendrick pit crew..concentrate on motion detectors and impact alarms if you want to deter theft.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you going to turn this into an unplanned upgrade??
No clue what to do.. Hence i put it up here to get opinions and to alert other 9th gen owners.. esp EX SPORT and TOURING... The sport alloys look awesome.. in fact would look awesome on civic/accord as well..

the car is garage as those [email protected]#$ dropped it on the floor and not on blocks.. so my suspension muffler and many more parts are damaged.. Geico is taking care of it and i have comprehensive insurance so i dont have to worry about it. My brand new one month old sport had to visit the garage so soon thats where i frown...:headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash:

The wheel locks are a dealer profit item and don't deter a good theft ring at all. All they are good for is the local meth/crank head who has no idea how to steal things...They sell the star adapter at any auto parts store, and with a cordless impact wrench and a team of 3 pro thieves, they can strip wheels in 3 min like a Hendrick pit crew..concentrate on motion detectors and impact alarms if you want to deter theft.
I understand the wheel locks are not the safest.. having them makes at least some difference... like the thieves in my case dint have the tools you mentioned.. But my point is if you have one where do you keep the unlocker.??:dunno::dunno:

·
Hi......
46 Posts
That ****s man. That's exactly where I have my wheel locks, definitely going to hide them better now.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I understand the wheel locks are not the safest.. having them makes at least some difference... like the thieves in my case dint have the tools you mentioned.. But my point is if you have one where do you keep the unlocker.??:dunno::dunno:
I would keep the KEY under one of the seats, or maybe somehow concealed behind the trunk carpeting?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thats terrible. I feel for you man, I've had many things stolen from my cars in the past and its never fun. You always feel violated... :rolleyes:

Hope everything works out for you...

·
Retired from Car Biz....
7,278 Posts
and my point is most have it already when they go prowling...but if you are looking for a spot, I'd VHB tape it to the underlip of a fender in the engine compartment..

·
matt
276 Posts
No clue what to do.. Hence i put it up here to get opinions and to alert other 9th gen owners.. esp EX SPORT and TOURING... The sport alloys look awesome.. in fact would look awesome on civic/accord as well..

the car is garage as those [email protected]#$ dropped it on the floor and not on blocks.. so my suspension muffler and many more parts are damaged.. Geico is taking care of it and i have comprehensive insurance so i dont have to worry about it. My brand new one month old sport had to visit the garage so soon thats where i frown...:headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash:
maybe slap on some 19s. might have to pay a few bucks out of pocket.

i def know what you mean as to the new car in the shop. mine was hit and i didnt have it for 30 days. making a car payment and not having a car is horrible.

·
Retired from Car Biz....
7,278 Posts
Back in the day a nice Visegrip and a screwdriver would take care of most wheel locks.
LOL - the way we used to do it at the dealer in a pinch was two flathead screwdrivers driven in with a hammer and a pair of vice grips across the drivers and twist - works every time, when the torque spec is 80 ft lbs like hondas...

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
That stinks. No alarm on the trunk, WTF? Some high end cars don't even have glass break alarms. My buddy's X5 has motion (which is very adequate) bu no glass break.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
No alarm trunk means thieves can access in side your car(pulling seats down) without triggering alarm as long as they don't open the doors.

Am I correct?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Keep pack of tampons or diapers or the like in car (glove box, trunk, etc). Hide lock in that package.
I guess that depends on the thief. :banana:

1 - 20 of 235 Posts