Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I got rear ended and had to have the rear end of my car repaired. The exhaust was redone along with the bumper and trunk as well as the passenger side tail lights above the exhaust. Its been a while since I got the car back now and I am just now realizing that the exhaust seems to be hanging way too low. Looking to see what other people think. It is worrying me that it will possibly be hit by something one day. Also it is not that visually appealing. Originally I only noticed it from approaching my car from a distance in a parking lot. When standing up close to the car it is harder to tell. But to me it does not seem to be in the right position.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2017 Honda Accord Touring Sedan
15 Posts
Long story short I got rear ended and had to have the rear end of my car repaired. The exhaust was redone along with the bumper and trunk as well as the passenger side tail lights above the exhaust. Its been a while since I got the car back now and I am just now realizing that the exhaust seems to be hanging way too low. Looking to see what other people think. It is worrying me that it will possibly be hit by something one day. Also it is not that visually appealing. Originally I only noticed it from approaching my car from a distance in a parking lot. When standing up close to the car it is harder to tell. But to me it does not seem to be in the right position.
At the exhaust tip, can you move it easily up and down? If so, there's rubber pieces that hold that back end of exhaust up. i would check that first.

Reactions: Hudouc

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
A photo taken from a lower point of view might give us a clue what's going on.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,035 Posts
The hangers at the end of the exhaust. But it looks good to me, normal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To me visually there is way more of the exhaust showing then there should be , idk

also it seems to wabble a little much.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
231 Posts
Why not take it back to the repair shop and have them deal with it?

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
3,139 Posts
Yes, too low.

·
Registered
895 Posts
It does look too low- but based on the pictures that you provided, it doesn't look like they used factory parts either. The exhaust tip they used is circular- while the factory one appears to be more of an oval.

Regardless- take it back and ask them to fix it so that it is closer to OEM spec. It's unfortunate, but many body shops just don't take the time to ensure that the small details are accurate... although this looks like a pretty big miss to me.

That repair would bother me. It's almost as bad as a body shop that doesn't even take the time to Google the proper placement of badges on the trunk lid after a repair.

·
VCM DELETE
855 Posts
Yea, I had same problem on my 7th gen when I had it repaired. They put the absolute cheapest muffler on imaginable and charged my insurance like 1500$ for it
These car repair companies are skeemish, they do shoddy work just to get your car back to normal and move on. They dont care about quality, they want max cash so they just slop job it and hope you dont notice gaps or exhaust that are not properly seated. That can be fixed with a proper hangar.

Id go back and say fix it right if it were my car.

Of note, the crappy muffler they installed on my 07 didn't even last 2 years before it was rusted solid and got a hole in it, then it really sounded bad....
I had to buy a new one, wasn't very happy. I made sure to put that car repair place (that my insurance recommended) on blast on Google reviews.
You cant win me over by offering me a cold bottle of water when I come in, keep your dam water and fix my car right instead (n)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its been some time. I was planning on it but tbh I dont want to bring them my car b
Yea, I had same problem on my 7th gen when I had it repaired. They put the absolute cheapest muffler on imaginable and charged my insurance like 1500$ for it
These car repair companies are skeemish, they do shoddy work just to get your car back to normal and move on. They dont care about quality, they want max cash so they just slop job it and hope you dont notice gaps or exhaust that are not properly seated. That can be fixed with a proper hangar.

Id go back and say fix it right if it were my car.

Of note, the crappy muffler they installed on my 07 didn't even last 2 years before it was rusted solid and got a hole in it, then it really sounded bad....
I had to buy a new one, wasn't very happy. I made sure to put that car repair place (that my insurance recommended) on blast on Google reviews.
You cant win me over by offering me a cold bottle of water when I come in, keep your dam water and fix my car right instead (n)
This was my first time going through a repair process like this. Do you think they will refuse to fix it if I bring it back to where I got it fixed? or should I contact my insurance? because the shop I had my car repaired at was certified by my insurance company.

It does look too low- but based on the pictures that you provided, it doesn't look like they used factory parts either. The exhaust tip they used is circular- while the factory one appears to be more of an oval.

Regardless- take it back and ask them to fix it so that it is closer to OEM spec. It's unfortunate, but many body shops just don't take the time to ensure that the small details are accurate... although this looks like a pretty big miss to me.

That repair would bother me. It's almost as bad as a body shop that doesn't even take the time to Google the proper placement of badges on the trunk lid after a repair.
Yeah its been driving me crazy. Not even close to how it should look. even worse is when i originally went to pick the car up I noticed the bumper clipped on correctly/flushly on one side. They were ready and willing to let me leave the shop with it basically half clipped on until I pointed it out to them. And when I did point it out, they replied "ahhh that aftermarket bumper just doesnt want to fit right" so tbh I dont even want to bring my car back to this crappy shop. But it does not look right so I am going to have to.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yeah its been driving me crazy. Not even close to how it should look. even worse is when i originally went to pick the car up I noticed the bumper clipped on correctly/flushly on one side. They were ready and willing to let me leave the shop with it basically half clipped on until I pointed it out to them. And when I did point it out, they replied "ahhh that aftermarket bumper just doesnt want to fit right" so tbh I dont even want to bring my car back to this crappy shop. But it does not look right so I am going to have to.
Aftermarket bumper?

Was this a repair that you paid for out-of-pocket or did you go through your insurance company?
If you went through your insurance company, does your contract stipulate that aftermarket body panels can be used?

Each time that I've had to get a repair done through insurance... the insurance company agrees to pay for used OEM body panels (if available) and I usually work with the repair facility because I prefer that new OEM parts are used- and I usually have to pay a little more out of my own pocket- but it's not usually much. If your insurance company paid- did they stipulate that an aftermarket bumper is acceptable- or did the shop charge the insurance (or you directly) for a new/used OEM part and then went with a cheaper aftermarket part?

There is NO WAY that I'd authorize an aftermarket bumper on any car that's not considered a 'junker'. Your car is still relatively new and seems to be in good condition- other than shoddy work from this repair. Did you agree to an aftermarket bumper... does your insurance contract stipulate that one can be used... and more importantly- what did the body shop charge for that aftermarket bumper... compared to an OEM one?

A brand new OEM (unpainted) rear bumper runs $451 from Honda... available online for $338.

The 'shoddiness' of this repair makes me really question if the shop properly repaired the stuff underneath that you can't see after everything was put back together (improperly). There's a lot of unseen reinforcement material and other stuff that can't be seen once the bumper is put back on- if they can't even attach the bumper correctly... it makes me really doubt if they properly repaired all the stuff underneath.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aftermarket bumper?

Was this a repair that you paid for out-of-pocket or did you go through your insurance company?
If you went through your insurance company, does your contract stipulate that aftermarket body panels can be used?

Each time that I've had to get a repair done through insurance... the insurance company agrees to pay for used OEM body panels (if available) and I usually work with the repair facility because I prefer that new OEM parts are used- and I usually have to pay a little more out of my own pocket- but it's not usually much. If your insurance company paid- did they stipulate that an aftermarket bumper is acceptable- or did the shop charge the insurance (or you directly) for a new/used OEM part and then went with a cheaper aftermarket part?

There is NO WAY that I'd authorize an aftermarket bumper on any car that's not considered a 'junker'. Your car is still relatively new and seems to be in good condition- other than shoddy work from this repair. Did you agree to an aftermarket bumper... does your insurance contract stipulate that one can be used... and more importantly- what did the body shop charge for that aftermarket bumper... compared to an OEM one?

A brand new OEM (unpainted) rear bumper runs $451 from Honda... available online for $338.

The 'shoddiness' of this repair makes me really question if the shop properly repaired the stuff underneath that you can't see after everything was put back together (improperly). There's a lot of unseen reinforcement material and other stuff that can't be seen once the bumper is put back on- if they can't even attach the bumper correctly... it makes me really doubt if they properly repaired all the stuff underneath.
I need to check over the itemized bill again to compare what they charges me versus the prices of OEM parts. But I know for a fact they used aftermarket parts. Apparently they would have used OEM parts if I requested it. This being my first experience with anything like this, did not know that in advance. But I have had people tell me that's not true and that the shop should have asked me about my preference for OEM parts vs aftermarket.

And the repair was paid through my insurance. I had to pay a small deductible which was eventually refunded to me from the other drivers insurance since they rear ended me.

Since the body shop was a certified shop with my insurance company do you think I should contact them with my concerns before reaching out to the shop themselves?

Since the body shop was a certified shop with my insurance company do you think I should contact them with my concerns before reaching out to the shop themselves?
I only say this because of the fact that its been a month or so since ive gotten the car back.

·
Registered
895 Posts
1. Read through your insurance contract. What type of parts does it indicate should be used? Does your contract say that aftermarket parts can be used?

2. Read through the billing invoice and see what they charged the insurance company for. If the shop is a "preferred shop" through your insurance company- they likely have a contract with them that stipulates what types of parts can/should be used. If the shop cheaped out and didn't follow the terms of that contract- that's a problem.

3. If I were you, I'd call my insurance agent... or even visit their office if they are local. This is what you pay them for. They should be able to give you everything that you need to know about your contract, what types of parts should be used- and should be able to explain the procedures that the shop should have used. If the shop used the wrong parts- and that goes against what's in the contract that they have with the insurance company- they might be responsible for redoing the repair properly so that the proper parts are used.

I'd have the shop's itemized bill/statement when you call your agent. That way you can compare what's on the statement with whatever they submitted to the insurance company.

Given that some time has passed since you got your car back- your options might be limited- but calling your agent and getting more information might help you plan your next steps. They should at least fix the exhaust pipe- but really that should have been brought to their attention before you accepted the car back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In all seriousness I did not notice the Exhaust pipe was so different until I got a good angle walking up to the car from a distance one day that I noticed the exhaust looked completely different. When standing closer to the car. it is harder to tell.

1. Read through your insurance contract. What type of parts does it indicate should be used? Does your contract say that aftermarket parts can be used?

2. Read through the billing invoice and see what they charged the insurance company for. If the shop is a "preferred shop" through your insurance company- they likely have a contract with them that stipulates what types of parts can/should be used. If the shop cheaped out and didn't follow the terms of that contract- that's a problem.

3. If I were you, I'd call my insurance agent... or even visit their office if they are local. This is what you pay them for. They should be able to give you everything that you need to know about your contract, what types of parts should be used- and should be able to explain the procedures that the shop should have used. If the shop used the wrong parts- and that goes against what's in the contract that they have with the insurance company- they might be responsible for redoing the repair properly so that the proper parts are used.

I'd have the shop's itemized bill/statement when you call your agent. That way you can compare what's on the statement with whatever they submitted to the insurance company.

Given that some time has passed since you got your car back- your options might be limited- but calling your agent and getting more information might help you plan your next steps. They should at least fix the exhaust pipe- but really that should have been brought to their attention before you accepted the car back.
Also my main concern here is that the car looks as it did before I was rear ended.. The fact that the aftermarket part was used isn't my issue its the fact that it was basically just slapped on there with zero attempt to repair the vehicle to spec.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts