Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am new here and have been trying to find solutions to my problem. Googling and browsing through some threads here hasn't really helped me find the answer I'm looking for, so here goes.

I have a new 2013 Accord sport. The stock Pioneer head unit doesn't seem to want to output low end sounds. I listen to a lot of DnB and the low frequencies (~80 hz and below) don't come through the speakers for some reason. Originally I thought it was a shortcoming of the speakers so I had a buddy install my sub setup from my old Pontiac (500W Kenwood amp & 2 10" boston accoustics subs). The setup is working fine- subs are recieving correct output and are doing their job except I am still not hearing those low notes. My guess is that it's the head unit filtering out those frequencies.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Are there any good work arounds/fixes out there that will give me the low end i want without having to replace the unit? I assume replacing the stereo unit will ruin the bluetooth conectivity and rear view camera. Is this true? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I have not had a lot of luck finding help with this issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey everyone. I am new here and have been trying to find solutions to my problem. Googling and browsing through some threads here hasn't really helped me find the answer I'm looking for, so here goes.

I have a new 2013 Accord sport. The stock Pioneer head unit doesn't seem to want to output low end sounds. I listen to a lot of DnB and the low frequencies (~80 hz and below) don't come through the speakers for some reason. Originally I thought it was a shortcoming of the speakers so I had a buddy install my sub setup from my old Pontiac (500W Kenwood amp & 2 10" boston accoustics subs). The setup is working fine- subs are recieving correct output and are doing their job except I am still not hearing those low notes. My guess is that it's the head unit filtering out those frequencies.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Are there any good work arounds/fixes out there that will give me the low end i want without having to replace the unit? I assume replacing the stereo unit will ruin the bluetooth conectivity and rear view camera. Is this true? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I have not had a lot of luck finding help with this issue.

I'm assuming that since you said you haven't had luck finding help, that you have googled it. Since you have googled it, I'm also assuming that you have disconnected the ANC, as searching google just now with the query "2013 accord subwoofer problem" and "2013 accord subwoofer install" indicated in 7 of the top 10 results that the ANC needs to be disconnected.

So since that is already done, can you tell us the exact frequency where the cutout occurs? If so great, please post it up. If not, run some sine wave test tones through your system and report the exact frequency. Also, please post if it is a sloped drop off, or a hard cut at the specific frequency. This will help determine if your head unit is bad, or, since you have assured us that the upgrades you have installed are not out of phase or crossed over wrong and are working fine, if goblins are your problem.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts

So since that is already done, can you tell us the exact frequency where the cutout occurs? If so great, please post it up.

If not, run some sine wave test tones through your system and report the exact frequency. Also, please post if it is a sloped drop off, or a hard cut at the specific frequency.

This will help determine if your head unit is bad, or, since you have assured us that the upgrades you have installed are not out of phase or crossed over wrong and are working fine, if goblins are your problem.
^ This. If you can run 1/3 octave tones or even pink noise with some sub 80hz frequencies and tell us what you're getting (if you have an SPL meter or RTA) then we can tell you if your HU is faulty, etc.

Now...

1. Where did you take the signal from? Either way (if you took it from the fronts or rears) I HIGHLY doubt either has been crossed. If any, it's likely the rear, but I don't know if they'd spend an extra $1 to do it. Most have tapped into the rear signal and been fine with sub frequencies, so I don't think that is the case here.

2. Can you post up a picture of the controls on your amp. I'd like to have a look and make sure you're settings are where they need to be.

3. Are you positive the subs are working (can you feel them move slightly?) or are they not getting any sort of signal. If that's the case, have you checked to see if they're still connected? Also, and this might seem stupid, but you're sure the amp is powering on? Just checking all the bases...

If yes to all those, are you sure you don't have it faded to front (if you tapped the rears) or vise versa?

·
2013 Accord Sport 6MT MSM
98 Posts
^ This. If you can run 1/3 octave tones or even pink noise with some sub 80hz frequencies and tell us what you're getting (if you have an SPL meter or RTA) then we can tell you if your HU is faulty, etc.
I also have a Sport and I created a bunch of ten second mp3 tones with Audacity (open source from sourceforge.net) of various frequencies to see how well and how loudly each was reproduced, and how the bass and treble controls effected each. I was going to post them to the company website, but unfortunately I no longer have the required software installed. I only started with 50 Hz-- it had much diminished volume but was audible. 70 Hz was much louder. The bass control increased all frequencies up to around 400 Hz and the treble control increased frequencies from 1500 Hz upwards.

Honestly, I thought the system sounded awful with the FM radio selected, but with my USB drive, it sounds better than I expected. I turned the bass to -4 and treble to +2. It needs a separate low bass channel, so why make it try, but otherwise just muddy. Of course, everyone's ears are different, and mine are getting old, but don't tell anyone I said so.

The frequencies I tested were 50, 60 70, 80, 100, 125, 200, 300, 400, 500, 750, 1000, and 1500.

Actually, I hate people who don't turn down their thumping bass at traffic lights, and those who disturb me in my house while driving by, and if the OP is one of those, I hope he never fixes it! :middlefinger: LOL!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a sport--think it sounds great for factory. I have my bass set at +6. (Max) no rattles. I still have a JL audio 10 w6v2 prowedge sub I could install but think stock is good for now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts