Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took my 2013 Accord in for warranty repair. Car has 5100 miles and started making a very noticeable noise that sounded like a new tire drone noise that got louder and louder. Took technician for a test drive and he instantly identified it as the right front wheel bearing. Car in shop overnight waiting for part from Atlanta. Has this happened to anyone else? Hoping this is just a very remote problem. Otherwise very satisfied with vehicle, just got it back from 500 mile trip and got 36 MPG average for entire trip with three adults and luggage.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,609 Posts
Hopefully this is just a one off thing. There doesn't seem to be a major problem with front wheel bearings on these cars. Just get it fixed under warranty (because this is what warranties are for) and then enjoy your new car.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
8600mi, no problems here. This is the first wheel bearing issue that I have read about in the 9th gen forum. So I think you just got 'lucky'. Go buy a lotto ticket. :)

Jay

·
Registered
1,320 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Do you happen to have aftermarket wheels installed and or is your car lowered?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Don't think that would matter. Bearings are typically sealed units.
Water can still seep through them and cause bearing problems. Rental car maintenance fleets in certain areas of the country will attest to this (and another reason to never buy a former rental car).

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
It could be a bad bearing. I always say that every part not made by Honda is made by the lowest bidder.

One measure of quality is called Six Sigma. To achieve Six Sigma, a process must not produce more than 3.4 defects per million opportunities. A Six Sigma defect is defined as anything outside of customer specifications.

One bad wheel bearing would make this quality plateau.

Reactions: johnjohn15

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Anything man-made can fail, including wheel bearings, Honda doesn't make bearings, it's subcontracted to a bearing manufacturer and made to Honda's spec.

I wouldn't worry about it, just have it replaced under warranty, that's what warranty is for.

My 2005 had a windshield washer pump go bad when the car was 1.5 years old, it just one day died, no warning, it was replaced under warranty, I didn't loose one nano second of sleep over it, and have never heard/read of this problem before or since.

As for Six Sigma, sure, the process can be improved to achieve less than the required failure rate per volume of production, but at what cost? There is a fine line where one can go overboard with excessive Six Sigma mindset, will the public be willing to pay an extraordinary price to have perfect everything with a car that will never break down due to manufacturing errors?

Not likely.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I guess if they are going to replace under warranty, just do it. If that solves the issue, great. I believe Honda used to use NSK bearings which are very good quality. The 2013 parts sheet doesn't list the brand. My 2003 shows NSK.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just picked up my car. They replaced the right front wheel bearing and did a 4 wheel alignment. Also gave it a wash job. It drives as smooth as silk now. Very satisfied at how the repair was handled so a big thumbs up for Headquarters Honda. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think I have similar issue on the driver side. But its hard to hear I sometimes think its only in my mind. I took once to them and they said they cant replicate it. I think I should take it to another dealer.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
His Accord was lucky enough to receive that defective bearing during production/assembly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just picked up my car. They replaced the right front wheel bearing and did a 4 wheel alignment. Also gave it a wash job. It drives as smooth as silk now. Very satisfied at how the repair was handled so a big thumbs up for Headquarters Honda. :)
Off topic. I can't believe you let them wash it! I leave a note on my odometer saying not to wash.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chalk one up for another bad wheel bearing. 2013 Accord 4 cyl. CVT with only 8,000 miles. Started hearing strange road noise. It was the front passenger wheel bearing. Dealer stated that since the model is so new, they don't have the part in stock. IMO its been out for quite a while now. Takes a day to get the part. No free loaner since I can pick up and drop it off again the next day. The sad part is I bought this car because of its reliability and that's what I told everyone. Now I get to eat crow.:dunno:

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Chalk one up for another bad wheel bearing. 2013 Accord 4 cyl. CVT with only 8,000 miles. Started hearing strange road noise. It was the front passenger wheel bearing. Dealer stated that since the model is so new, they don't have the part in stock. IMO its been out for quite a while now. Takes a day to get the part. No free loaner since I can pick up and drop it off again the next day. The sad part is I bought this car because of its reliability and that's what I told everyone. Now I get to eat crow.:dunno:
Every car suffers from initial quality issues. People have gotten there PhDs studying initial failure rates of components. It's a big part of reliability management. A true test of quality is over a longer period, at least with automobiles.

The initial quality concerns I read on here are of a much smaller scale and magnitude than when I was a member on forums for domestic manufactures.

Jay

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think this is what's happening to my car right now. The front passenger started making a groan. It's at the dealer now and I'm waiting to hear. This problem seems to be happening to a lot of people.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts