Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm by no means a mechanic. Just purchases a used 2014 Accord with 36K miles on it and within a week and getting a P0420 error code. So far dealership has been friendly and is sending me to their mechanic next week to have him take a look, we already cleared the code and it came back so confident something needs to be addressed. All of the other P0420 threads I see have WAY more miles than my car and I'm curious if there are other issues that would cause an erroneous fault that are more likely than the cat actually being bad.
Any input is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Are there any other codes with the P0420? I would want to know a few things

1. Any physical damage to the Catalytic converter (was it in a front end accident)
2. Does it physically look overheated
3. The Long-term and short-term fuel trims
4. How much oil does the engine burn

It is extremely unusual to have a failure at that mileage (verify the mileage). It should still be under the Emissions warranty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
According to this Consumer Reports article from 2014, the federal emissions warranty covers the cat for 8 years and 80,000 miles: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2014/11/how-one-driver-saved-8-000-on-emissions-repair-for-his-bmw/index.htm

Not sure if that's true, but definitely worth looking into.

My previous car, an 06 Accord would throw that code every so often when it was below 20f but it would clear itself after a few re-starts. I had 140k + so yes, to me that does seem like low mileage for this problem.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Honda's warranty on emission systems varies by State and individual parts:

For cat. converter: A and B = 8y/80k miles, for C = 15y/150k
For O2 sensor: A= 3y/36k, B = 3y/50k, C = 15y/150k

So at least for the cat. converter, you should be covered...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi All,
I'm by no means a mechanic. Just purchases a used 2014 Accord with 36K miles on it and within a week and getting a P0420 error code. So far dealership has been friendly and is sending me to their mechanic next week to have him take a look, we already cleared the code and it came back so confident something needs to be addressed. All of the other P0420 threads I see have WAY more miles than my car and I'm curious if there are other issues that would cause an erroneous fault that are more likely than the cat actually being bad.
Any input is greatly appreciated
Hello, I have a 2013 LX with 221,000 miles. I got my PO420 code warning at around 200 k. I had to replace both oxygen sensors. The light recently came on again. Perhaps it's my catalytic converter. I seriously doubt that you need to do replace any of the aforementioned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2013 LX with 221k. I recently replaced my oxygen sensors after the PO420 code came on. I seriously doubt you have any need. I would consult the dealer or a good mechanic.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would always start with the 02 sensors because they're relatively cheap and easy to replace.

At your mileage, it's possibly that Cat. Anything less than 100k, it seems less likely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts