Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have been looking into buying a Honda Accord V6 TOURING from 2014 - 2015 and finding a lot of reports of engine issues and various other issues. The cars I am looking at are all around 180,000+ KMs as I plan to winter drive it mostly and take it on camping trips etc. But the more I look into it, the more I find online about reliability issues. I was mainly focusing on the touring as I like all the features and headlights are more modern (LEDs) in comparison to the non touring. But after all that I have found online, it may be better to get a V4 or V6 non touring from 2016/2017

I test drove a 2015 V6 EX-L with around 181000kms and I was blown away by how smooth and responsive the car felt... so I'm kind of set on the V6 unless the V4 is more reliable long term / with higher mileage?

I see a long list of problems mainly with the 2014/2015 but some people say the issues continue until 2017 before the upgrade in 2018

Can any one here that owns on of these cars tell me if they have experienced these issues?

Automatic and CVT transmission problems
Engine oil consumption problems
Power steering problems
Water Leaking into cabin
Headlight issues
Starter motor failure ("No Start" Due to Ignition Switch Failure)
Battery drain / insufficient voltage issues
Check Engine and D4 Lights Flashing
Warped Front Brake Rotors
Driver's Door Latch Assembly May Break
Faulty Door Lock Actuator May Cause Power Door Locks to Activate Intermittently
AC not working
Infotainment glitches
Faulty Door Lock Actuator
Radio/Climate Control Display May Go Dark
Engine oil leaks

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/8-common-2 ... 000-miles/
2014 Honda Accord Problems and Complaints - 17 Issues
2015 Honda Accord Problems and Complaints - 12 Issues
2016 Honda Accord Problems and Complaints - 9 Issues
2017 Honda Accord Problems and Complaints - 7 Issues

· 8th Gen Believer
5,648 Posts
Do a search of the site before you react to rumor. The search bar is top of main page, use it like google. I visit DA regularly and have never seen anything like what you mentioned. The only known problem was faulty starters on the 2013 Accord model year, all trim lines. The 9th gen has actually been among Accords' least problematic generations.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do a search of the site before you react to rumor. The search bar is top of main page, use it like google. I visit DA regularly and have never seen anything like what you mentioned. The only known problem was faulty starters on the 2013 Accord model year, all trim lines. The 9th gen has actually been among Accords' least problematic generations.
Of course I did google around and that's how I came across various issues that are being reported by owners. Mainly about the 2014/2015.
See below image from carcomplaints.com and repairpal which are trusted sites.
Quite a large list of issues which is why I was hoping some actual owners could chime in about these issues

Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Number

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number
Font Rectangle Screenshot Technology Software

· V6 Supremacist 😎
Victus - 2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
2,197 Posts
Every car has a long list of complaints. Go look on that site. I bet you will find similar results for every car.

The 9th gen Accord isn't quite as good as its predecessor but it is still pretty good.

· Registered
2,744 Posts
I had an 2014 I4 EXL for 2.5 years, 60k miles before trade in. Zero major issues. The only things that bothered me a bit were the glitchy infotainment (2nd year) and the crappy stock battery (died after year 2…). Oh, the CVT/engine combo under WOT sounded annoying.

Other than that, the car was flawless for me. :)

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had an 2014 I4 EXL for 2.5 years, 60k miles before trade in. Zero major issues. The only things that bothered me a bit were the glitchy infotainment (2nd year) and the crappy stock battery (died after year 2…). Oh, the CVT/engine combo under WOT sounded annoying.

Other than that, the car was flawless for me. :)
Thank you for sharing. I'm hoping a few owners with 100K++ miles can give me their feedback as that is the mileage range I'm looking to purchase
I may just have to go the safe route and buy a 2016/17 4-cyl instead of the V6 Touring 2014/15 that I really wanted..

· Registered
3,161 Posts
I had a 14 EXL-V6 from 2014-2021. Was one of the best cars I had. Smooth effortless power.

Only issue I had was a strut noise that was easily fixed.

The other was at the end of my ownership, the starter was starting to have issues. There are threads on the forum about this and it's not always replace and move on.

Also, timing belt, water pump tensioner is an expensive maintenance so take this into account.

· 2015 accord sport
214 Posts
Hi everyone, I have been looking into buying a Honda Accord V6 TOURING from 2014 - 2015 and finding a lot of reports of engine issues and various other issues. The cars I am looking at are all around 180,000+ KMs as I plan to winter drive it mostly and take it on camping trips etc. But the more I look into it, the more I find online about reliability issues. I was mainly focusing on the touring as I like all the features and headlights are more modern (LEDs) in comparison to the non touring. But after all that I have found online, it may be better to get a V4 or V6 non touring from 2016/2017

I test drove a 2015 V6 EX-L with around 181000kms and I was blown away by how smooth and responsive the car felt... so I'm kind of set on the V6 unless the V4 is more reliable long term / with higher mileage?

I see a long list of problems mainly with the 2014/2015 but some people say the issues continue until 2017 before the upgrade in 2018

Can any one here that owns on of these cars tell me if they have experienced these issues?

Automatic and CVT transmission problems
Engine oil consumption problems
Power steering problems
Water Leaking into cabin
Headlight issues
Starter motor failure ("No Start" Due to Ignition Switch Failure)
Battery drain / insufficient voltage issues
Check Engine and D4 Lights Flashing
Warped Front Brake Rotors
Driver's Door Latch Assembly May Break
Faulty Door Lock Actuator May Cause Power Door Locks to Activate Intermittently
AC not working
Infotainment glitches
Faulty Door Lock Actuator
Radio/Climate Control Display May Go Dark
Engine oil leaks

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/8-common-2 ... 000-miles/
2014 Honda Accord Problems and Complaints - 17 Issues
2015 Honda Accord Problems and Complaints - 12 Issues
2016 Honda Accord Problems and Complaints - 9 Issues
2017 Honda Accord Problems and Complaints - 7 Issues
I’ve own the 2015 4 cyc with only one issue, the stater going out but nothing to do with the switch, just the starter it self, besides that it has been an amazing car. Good luck

· Registered
23 Posts
been rocking a 2015 ex-l v6 for 4 years, up to 119k miles on it up from 42k, and the only issues ive had are the damn rear calipers and the starter replacement / ring gear TSB. i love my car, and the only reason id trade it for anything else is i need a truck.

· Registered
2,744 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I'm hoping a few owners with 100K++ miles can give me their feedback as that is the mileage range I'm looking to purchase
I may just have to go the safe route and buy a 2016/17 4-cyl instead of the V6 Touring 2014/15 that I really wanted..
No problem. 100k miles is nothing on a well-maintained Honda. I’d say all years of 9G (13-17) are probably fine. Just get what you’d like and make sure it’s been in good hands by looking at its history / have a mechanic look over thoroughly.
The V6 touring is very sweet. Nothing wrong with my EXL, but I had wanted a Touring sedan for a long time, but didn’t go for it the time of purchase, so for a long while I was staring at the car every time I saw one in traffic wishing I had gotten it lol. With that said, the V6 EXL is just as good. Other than the headlights, sensing (touring has it standard), and smaller wheels (17 vs 18 or 19), they’re practically the same car.

Reactions: STRIDER

· Registered
195 Posts
I have a 14 Touring...It's at 111K miles. I've had it a little over 3 yrs. Got it when it had about 70K miles IIRC.

It's had some issues that are common and a couple that are not all that common but I would buy another. All cars come with issues. Some more then others. Your brain is focusing on all the issues you are seeing on Google which is a normal process.

Honda 9th gens are great cars if they haven't been beat to hell, heavily modified and have had the maintenance done on them when required.

Automatic and CVT transmission problems- Honda has one of the better CVT's in production. Autos are strong but you have to be aware that there is a flaw with the V6 and its Flexplate/Torque Converter/ starter. There is TSB on this and it should be a recall but Honda dropped the ball big time with this. It is pretty common.

Engine oil consumption problems- This is more common on the 4 cyl then the 6's but it's not a huge issue that I have heard.

Power steering problems- A few issues but not widespread at all.

Water Leaking into cabin- Other then the drains for the sunroof getting clogged water ingress is not a widespread issue.

Headlight issues- Certain yrs have an extended 10 yr warranty on the DLS as they burn out. The headlight gets replaced

Starter motor failure ("No Start" Due to Ignition Switch Failure)- Ignition switch is usually not the issue. It's the starter. They have an updated starter but this issue also is directly related to the automatic transmission TSB issue. Widespread issue. Me included

Battery drain / insufficient voltage issues- Underpowered batter/ common issue. Get a bigger battery and the issue usually goes away.

Check Engine and D4 Lights Flashing- D4 is for an issue with the automatic trans...It would need to be properly scanned to decipher what the issue is. Make sure the trans fluid is changed every 25-30k miles religiously! Honda trans are very particular with their fluid. Changing it is easier then changing the oil. Not a wide spread issue.

Check engine light? All cars get this. Usually related to something within the emissions system. Common issue for many but usually easily corrected.

Warped Front Brake Rotors- Not common if you use quality 'solid' rotors and pads. Not widespread. Issues arise when people replace the rotors with drilled/slotted.

Driver's Door Latch Assembly May Break- Not a widespread issue

Faulty Door Lock Actuator May Cause Power Door Locks to Activate Intermittently- Not a widespread issue

AC not working- Not a widespread issue

Infotainment glitches- This is a widespread issue in the trims that have the 2 screens with navigation. Usually with Apple Car Play/ Navigation and a few other apps. The operating system is outdated and having the dealer try to update it proves to be a waste of time and $. The solution is to replace the head unit with an aftermarket.

Faulty Door Lock Actuator- Not a widespread issue

Radio/Climate Control Display May Go Dark- Not a widespread issue. My head unit hard drive crashed (not a common thing to have happen) I bought a refurbed factory head unit and haven't had an issue

Engine oil leaks- All cars get them. I have a small one coming from somewhere but it hasn't gotten bad enough to worry about.

Issues I have had.....

Head unit crashed. Replaced with a factor refurbed one and no issues since.

Biggest and most expensive issue I have been dealing with is the common stater grind. I have the push to start. At times it grinds and won't start. It's sporadic and may or may not happen each week or month. Usually by the 2nd time it starts. It's been happening since a month after buying the car. I've replaced the starter 3 times. Hondas don't like aftermarket starters. I ended up buying the updated OEM starter the 3rd time. That didn't fix the issue. I think I will at some point have to replace the torque converter to properly correct the issue.

I have a leaking shock. Although this is uncommon it can happen at anytime.

The transmission is the worst shifting trans I have encountered. It's common on the autos and it's just not smooth. I have fixed most of it with an inexpensive add on that de-activates the VCM.

So as you see I have not had that many issues with my Touring. Other then regular wear and tear/ maintenance including new tires, fluid changes it's been a great solid car for me..

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 14 Touring...It's at 111K miles. I've had it a little over 3 yrs. Got it when it had about 70K miles IIRC.

It's had some issues that are common and a couple that are not all that common but I would buy another. All cars come with issues. Some more then others. Your brain is focusing on all the issues you are seeing on Google which is a normal process.

Honda 9th gens are great cars if they haven't been beat to hell, heavily modified and have had the maintenance done on them when required.

Automatic and CVT transmission problems- Honda has one of the better CVT's in production. Autos are strong but you have to be aware that there is a flaw with the V6 and its Flexplate/Torque Converter/ starter. There is TSB on this and it should be a recall but Honda dropped the ball big time with this. It is pretty common.

Engine oil consumption problems- This is more common on the 4 cyl then the 6's but it's not a huge issue that I have heard.

Power steering problems- A few issues but not widespread at all.

Water Leaking into cabin- Other then the drains for the sunroof getting clogged water ingress is not a widespread issue.

Headlight issues- Certain yrs have an extended 10 yr warranty on the DLS as they burn out. The headlight gets replaced

Starter motor failure ("No Start" Due to Ignition Switch Failure)- Ignition switch is usually not the issue. It's the starter. They have an updated starter but this issue also is directly related to the automatic transmission TSB issue. Widespread issue. Me included

Battery drain / insufficient voltage issues- Underpowered batter/ common issue. Get a bigger battery and the issue usually goes away.

Check Engine and D4 Lights Flashing- D4 is for an issue with the automatic trans...It would need to be properly scanned to decipher what the issue is. Make sure the trans fluid is changed every 25-30k miles religiously! Honda trans are very particular with their fluid. Changing it is easier then changing the oil. Not a wide spread issue.

Check engine light? All cars get this. Usually related to something within the emissions system. Common issue for many but usually easily corrected.

Warped Front Brake Rotors- Not common if you use quality 'solid' rotors and pads. Not widespread. Issues arise when people replace the rotors with drilled/slotted.

Driver's Door Latch Assembly May Break- Not a widespread issue

Faulty Door Lock Actuator May Cause Power Door Locks to Activate Intermittently- Not a widespread issue

AC not working- Not a widespread issue

Infotainment glitches- This is a widespread issue in the trims that have the 2 screens with navigation. Usually with Apple Car Play/ Navigation and a few other apps. The operating system is outdated and having the dealer try to update it proves to be a waste of time and $. The solution is to replace the head unit with an aftermarket.

Faulty Door Lock Actuator- Not a widespread issue

Radio/Climate Control Display May Go Dark- Not a widespread issue. My head unit hard drive crashed (not a common thing to have happen) I bought a refurbed factory head unit and haven't had an issue

Engine oil leaks- All cars get them. I have a small one coming from somewhere but it hasn't gotten bad enough to worry about.

Issues I have had.....

Head unit crashed. Replaced with a factor refurbed one and no issues since.

Biggest and most expensive issue I have been dealing with is the common stater grind. I have the push to start. At times it grinds and won't start. It's sporadic and may or may not happen each week or month. Usually by the 2nd time it starts. It's been happening since a month after buying the car. I've replaced the starter 3 times. Hondas don't like aftermarket starters. I ended up buying the updated OEM starter the 3rd time. That didn't fix the issue. I think I will at some point have to replace the torque converter to properly correct the issue.

I have a leaking shock. Although this is uncommon it can happen at anytime.

The transmission is the worst shifting trans I have encountered. It's common on the autos and it's just not smooth. I have fixed most of it with an inexpensive add on that de-activates the VCM.

So as you see I have not had that many issues with my Touring. Other then regular wear and tear/ maintenance including new tires, fluid changes it's been a great solid car for me..

THANKS A MILLION FOR THIS RESPONSE

1 - 13 of 13 Posts