Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone posted here,in a thread that I can't find, that the 2014 Accords can run on E85 Ethanol fuel. I just looked in the 2014 owner's manual and it still states to only run the car on Octane 87 or higher Top Tier gasoline. It makes no mention of E85 Ethanol. I think someone made a mistake.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Always and I mean ALWAYS go by the manual, this goes for anyone and everyone (Not directed to you OP).

This reminds me of a time in college where I had a friend ask me when she should change the oil in her 06 civic EX (Roughly 4-6k miles). She then mentioned her last service was over 12,000 miles :paranoid: I felt so sorry for that car.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Always and I mean ALWAYS go by the manual, this goes for anyone and everyone (Not directed to you OP).

This reminds me of a time in college where I had a friend ask me when she should change the oil in her 06 civic EX (Roughly 4-6k miles). She then mentioned her last service was over 12,000 miles :paranoid: I felt so sorry for that car.
I have never figured out why some people think that they are smarter than the manufacturer. ALWAYS follow the owner's manual!!!!!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Absolutely not. Do not run E-85.

I don't even run E-10. Though we may lose our pure gasoline before too long in South Dakota.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
9,988 Posts
Someone posted here,in a thread that I can't find, that the 2014 Accords can run on E85 Ethanol fuel. I just looked in the 2014 owner's manual and it still states to only run the car on Octane 87 or higher Top Tier gasoline. It makes no mention of E85 Ethanol. I think someone made a mistake.
You're confusing E15 with E85.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1742314&postcount=34

Thanks for your post. I will be going to test drive an Accord, mainly to see differences between he I4 and V6. One difference that I have been able to find is that E15 fuel is ok to use in the 2014 model year -- at least according to the owner's manual.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe different country has different specification even on the fuel delivery system??
In Thailand Honda clearly shows on the separate paper coming with new car and
they even put the 'E85 Honda Environment Technology' sticker(Green Colour) in the middle of rear windscreen although I already took it out.

Anyway, I haven't tried yet but considering in the near future.

I'll tried to find out if it's safe to use on Accord in Thailand but all the search results come out in Thai language....lol/

Will update when I can find English.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
If your vehicle does not clearly state that it will run on E85, then DON'T DO IT. The components in your engine fuel system are not up to the increased alcohol and you will definitely void any warranty on your car.

I have seen aftermarket E85 kits ($400 and up) that replace the at risk components but due to the decrease in MPG's and cost of the kit plus time to install, do you really come out ahead and save anything?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Off the lot, the only vehicles sold in the USA that I know of that are safe to use E85 fuel are flex-fuel engined vehicles.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Firstly, why are we resurrecting a 3 year old thread?

Why don't we start by actually reading the owner's manual.

Page 479 in the 2015 Honda Accord Sedan Owner's Manual:

Some gasoline today is blended with oxygenates such as ethanol. Your vehicle is designed to operate on oxygenated gasoline containing up to 15% ethanol by volume. Do not use gasoline containing methanol. If you notice any undesirable operating symptoms, try another service station or switch to another brand of gasoline.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm smarter than the manufacturer. Because they put cheap stock transmission fluid in my 14 stick. Swapped it out for Syncromesh, and smoothed it right out.

But thats different than changing the type of gas. Why would you even want to use E85? Corn subsidies need to end. It's worse for the environment than burning gas. Univ of Mich study just came out. And that school loves big government subsidies.

If it'll burn 15% corn, it'l probably burning 30 or 50. But it'll destroy the engine. Maybe if I use ethanol, it'll stop the hesitation when accelerating.

As to the manual, it's way too long. Nobody reads it. Should be a 20 page pamphlet with bullet points.

Always follow the manual, huh? The manual will tell you to take your car to the dealer, so they can rip you off blind on needless inspections and fluid changes. Screw the manual. But the manual does have a few important things in it and obviously it doesn't take all taxpayer-subsidized corn gas.

·
The Seeker
204 Posts
Don't use ANY Ethanol if you don't have to, the gas mileage is WORSE than 100% gasoline.
You get about 10% less MPG with 10% Ethanol, it's about 15% less with E85 (15% Ethanol).

Here in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia you can't find ANY 100% gas fuel, it's all 10% Ethanol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts